Download copy of Darkness Rising ahead of the release. How?

inqy

One of Freddy's beloved
I'd love this to be a thread detailing how this can be done. Right now I've no idea. I did ask in another thread and had a little look round and didn't want to fiddle around without knowing.

So my question is this, I guess to the US based DAoC players...

How do you download it ahead of time? any links etc, or do I need to make a copy of my cats folder and fiddle with the update.dat to do it? Any help with that please

Anyone got the information for some sweet rep loving. :sex:

Ryuno

Can't get enough of FH
That isnt all of it. Heres what Sparda posted on my guild forums about it. Proberly better than the scattered info around here.

[--------------------------------------------------------------------------]

OK first you'll need the US client which you can get from

http://www.darkageofcamelot.com/DarknessRising/download.php

be warned its an 800+ mb download

Ok you'll need to keep your Catacombs installation to install Darkness Rising so dont remove it..... yet.

When the file has downloaded run the "catacombs_to_darkness.exe"

click next a few time... then it will ask you to point it to your Catacombs directory. This is differnt in the EU to the US so you will have to manually point it, the default directory for EU is shown here

Then it will want to install into the Mythic default directory. This is fine but the EU version would end up in this directory

Ok now let it install, this could take a while as its reading from 1 folder then pasting into another.

Now its time to hax the files to make it think its EU and not US.

Open up your Catacombs directory and copy the "update.dat" file (this may just be named "update")

Open up the directory you installed Darkness Rising into, and paste the Update.dat file replacing the one already in the file. Now open up the "Update.dat" file in notepad (it will most probably just show as the name "update", to open in notepad, right click the file then click open with then choose program.)
You should see the following...

Mythic Patch
patch.camelot-europe.com:1280/updates/english/catacombs/mpatch.dat
patch.camelot-europe.com:1280/updates/english/catacombs/mpatch.dat

simply delete both "catacombs" and replace with the word "darkness" then save.

It should now read

Mythic Patch
patch.camelot-europe.com:1280/updates/english/darkness/mpatch.dat
patch.camelot-europe.com:1280/updates/english/darkness/mpatch.dat

Thats it... of course this wont work till Darkness Rising is released. And when you first patch it should alter the games .exe file to match the current EU version.

Voila

no guarntee this will work on patch day, but it should :)

also when DR is released and this is up and running you can remove your catacombs dir :)

inqy

One of Freddy's beloved
Thanks thats exactly what I was after personally, hopefully it helps others out too. This may be nice as a sticky 'praps nice moddy type people. :)

I'm happy just to download the bulk for now and leave the other part until I have actually got my mits on a license (so on the day I guess).

Perf

One of Freddy's beloved
Hey there Ryuno, hope all is well with you m8, long time no see :)

Nomans Land

One of Freddy's beloved
I could have sworn that I seen somewhere on the EU were you can download it, but I just looked, guess I was wrong. It just says in last fridays news that you can download it on the day of launch.

scorge

Fledgling Freddie
would be nice if a Gm can say downloading the US version of DR and changing the update.dat file will allow you to play on EU servers with a valid license key.

Sometimes the US version can screw things up and you will need to download the EU one...

:m00:

Howley

Fledgling Freddie
Goa News said:
Download the version 1.80 updates before the 1st of February
In order to ease the move onto version 1.80 for everyone, the update files from version 1.78 to version 1.80 are available from today. You can download them from the Download page which will enable you to gain time on the 1st of February and avoid the difficult moment when everyone will want to download it at the same time.

However, download it now but do not install these files before the 1st of February.
Here are the different possible cases :
- You play with Shrouded Isles. As indicated above, your game will be patched into the Trials of Atlantis version on the 25th of January at the latest. You then have to download the update for the Trials of Atlantis client.
- You play with New Shrouded Isles. Download the update from the New Shrouded Isles client to the New Trials of Atlantis client. You will be able to continue playing until the 1st of February and even if you see a message indicating that Trials of Atlantis is activated on your account, do not install New Trials of Atlantis before the 1st of February.
- You play with Trials of Atlantis. Download the update for the Trials of Atlantis client.
- You play with Catacombs. Download the update for the Catacombs client.

this seems to explain it all :p .. few links in there for the d/ls .. but cba editting tbh ... http://daoc.goa.com/en/ ftw

scorge

Fledgling Freddie
(invisibletank) said:
this seems to explain it all :p .. few links in there for the d/ls .. but cba editting tbh ... http://daoc.goa.com/en/ ftw

you will still need to download darkness rising, the above was only details of the client patch to 1.80, if you download the US version of DR and change the upadte.dat file will it still sork on the EU servers...? i wouldn't want people to waste time downloading it twice...

Ryuno

Can't get enough of FH
Just pre-order from www.dlgamer.com today and you can download the file straight away. You get sent a cd key on release day.

Howley

Fledgling Freddie
scorge said:
you will still need to download darkness rising, the above was only details of the client patch to 1.80, if you download the US version of DR and change the upadte.dat file will it still sork on the EU servers...? i wouldn't want people to waste time downloading it twice...

ah well..tbh i only looked briefly through that news and assumed . . . .
mother of all fuk-ups... => Assumption.. :p

Fana

Fledgling Freddie
Ryuno said:
Just pre-order from www.dlgamer.com today and you can download the file straight away. You get sent a cd key on release day.

What i dont understand is why you can download from DL gamer already but not from GOA directly - apparently they are gonna wait to release day to make the download available which will cause additional strain on their servers etc. But i guess most people that are interested in a download will have fixed one from DL gamer (or from US) by then anyway so maybe it doesnt matter.

GReaper

Part of the furniture
Fana said:
What i dont understand is why you can download from DL gamer already but not from GOA directly - apparently they are gonna wait to release day to make the download available which will cause additional strain on their servers etc. But i guess most people that are interested in a download will have fixed one from DL gamer (or from US) by then anyway so maybe it doesnt matter.

I'm assuming that GOA are possibly sorting this out before the expansion. They've already made the 1.78 to 1.80 patch available as a .exe patcher to help ease patch day, I doubt they want to overload their network or kill a download site with so many requests. :p

Would be nice if they sorted out a torrent for everyone to download as soon as possible though, instead of having to rely on dlgamer or modifying the US version.

IainC

English WAR Community Manager
Fana said:
You can't download it from us in advance because we don't want to compete with our pre-order partners. If you download from us on the day, you'll get it either via a torrent or from a different platform so there will be no additional strain on our network as a result.

ceixava

Fledgling Freddie
just bought it from dlgamer

really fast, click click name, address, ccinfo, click click, wait 5sec for mail, click click, download 1200kB/s :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom