DOS shell and COM ports ~sigh~

Chilly

Balls of steel
Right, another fun fest for you guys.

I have been tasked with testing a device that converts from CF (comparc flash) to serial connector........under windows CE 4.2.

Since windows CE have fuck all useful tools available for this kind of stuff, I need to know how to read from a com port and direct that stuff to a file.

It can be done in the opposite direction easily: type foo.txt > echo com2: for example.
I need the reverse, anyone know how it's done?

Cheers mateys!

Chilly

Draylor

Part of the furniture
Isnt it as simple as:

com2 > file

?

(Memory is dodgy, trying that on XP gives a permission denied error that may or may not mean its right)

phlash

Fledgling Freddie
Is this on the WinCE device, or an attached test PC?

If it's on a test PC, just fire up Hyperterminal and log to file perhaps?

Chilly

Balls of steel
its on a CEPC - ie a PC running an x86 debug build of the CE image I made. And hyperterminal does not come with CE 4.2, or if it does its so obscurely hidden and not referenced to anywhere that tis gay!

Chilly

Balls of steel
Code:
 type com2: > foo.txt

works but its a bit odd and takes ages to quit, also it seems to miss chunks off the beginning of files sent, this may not be the fault of the program, but down to the (experimental) hardware I am testing.

This can also be used as a makeshift terminal program using

Code:
 type com2:
will simply pipe all data sent to the COMn port to yoru screen. This is very handy, since CE doesnt have a terminal program (ala hyperterminal) built in.

phlash

Fledgling Freddie
No terminal program at all? I knew I didn't like WinCE (or emulations therin) much. There are a pile of downloads on tucows and similar, or if you're bored you could write your own - the APIs are pretty straightforward :)

Chilly

Balls of steel
aye I could, but I really cant be fucked - espeically since im only a tester. Now if they wanted to pay me more, Id be happy to apply my programming skills but for 8 quid an hour they can fuck off.

Danya

Fledgling Freddie
copy com2: foo.txt
will dump whatever data it sees off the com port into that file until it sees an EOF char (ctrl-Z).

Danya

Fledgling Freddie
5 days.
Guess you won't be wanting any help in the future then. :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom