DOOM3 ownz all !!!

Warlock

Fledgling Freddie
Yesterday I bought it,
went home from work ( "Mr.<insert_your_boss_name_here>, my wife is giving birth to my child right now. Can I go to the hospital plz ? You didnt know I'm married man ? We married yesterday !" ), :touch:
installed it,
and played for 5 hours in a row.

BEST GAME EVER ! :clap: :worthy:

discuss

Repent Reloaded

Fledgling Freddie
I just stole a copy from some kids mum as they walked out the shop, this game fucking pwns!

harebear

Fledgling Freddie
So its actually good afterall? I gotta buy it now xC Still think HL2 is gonna be much better thou.

mts

Fledgling Freddie
doom 3, third attempt.

Well, seeing how third time's the charm I thought we could give this another go. Now, let's try focusing on the game, eh? ;)

I gotta hand it to id software, they have really outdone themselves. Firstly I never thought I could make the game run smooth in 1024*768 on medium detail on my p4 2.4ghz and radeon9800, but it sure did. They haven't really impressed me with the single player aspect in their past games (DOOM 1 & 2, the QUAKE series etc). Now this one, has really got single player nailed if you ask me. It may be lacking a bit on the MP part as of right now, 4 player DM might be cozy but sometimes you just want a big 'ole clustefuck y'know? :D However all that is improving as we speak. If you head over to Gamers Hell they already have a growing list of mods being added to the game.

Also, if you're running this game on a radeon 9800 non-pro, pro, xt or x800 pro and xt i'd suggest upgrading to the latest 4.9 catalyst beta drivers. Fair enough they're beta, but they really improved my fps.

EDIT: Just noticed there was a third one up already, sorry.

EDIT2: Just a lil fyi DOOM 3 was released on saturday at a select few boutiques throughout the states as a midnight game madness deal. Also a few select few game journalists have been playing the game at id's office the last few days before the release.

M® Zîllâ

Fledgling Freddie
Meduza said:
u r bs'ing, right ?

:eek2:

Nah his not but u r gonna need 1 fcuking beasty of a machine to run it on!
And as for doom3 its a very nice game but mp is in its early stage and is very reliant on shotgun and chaingun for damage a bit like ut is/was flack/minigun (if any one ever played against german ut clans they will know what i mean)

Any way need's some work and some nice maps not as good at ut2k4/q3 imho
@ the mo but has potenital better then PK any way :clap:

harebear

Fledgling Freddie
Seen better pics of Unreal 3 tbh :p Like higher quality than movies etc :p Doom 3 is pretty cool, can run it at ultra extreme or what ever on highest resolution with 3ghz 1gb ddr ram and 128mb radeon 9800 pro easy, I remember all them people saying radeon would suckz0rz on it :p

enigma

Fledgling Freddie
500000 scripted lines.

Excessive use of darkness.

Laughter = monsters.

Dark corners = monsters.

Footsteps so overdone you can aim by them.

So predictable and repetitive my hair hurts.

Great platform for other companies to make good games on though.

Id software has lost something the last years, some good staff? Dunno, but something.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
enigma said:
Great platform for other companies to make good games on though.
thats all they have been post doom 1 imo, technology tests.

enigma said:
Id software has lost something the last years, some good staff? Dunno, but something.
John Carmack (sp?) though his own games suck badly.

Garax

Fledgling Freddie
HerculesPluto said:
also check out this UNREAL THREE IN GAME SCREENSHOT - note this is not CGI it is in-game.

http://img2.exs.cx/img2/8108/1057.jpg

:eek2: :eek2:

Thats not Unreal 3 from what i have read, thats a game that will use the Unreal 3 engine, still looks pretty nice tho.

Oh and Doom 3 r0x, serious scare the shit out of you stuff late at night with no lights on and just 5.1 surround sound headphones. Thought my heart was going to stop at a few various points.

Sissyfoo

Fledgling Freddie
Have to agree with Enigma on some points. Waaay too much darkness. Sure it can add to the scary factor but it just gets boring after a while. Having to flick between a torch and a gun all the time pisses me off intensely. I don't really like the way the monsters die ... not sure why but it grates at me. ~shrug~

The game has made me jump a few times but I don't think it can hold a candle to AvP2 in terms of atmosphere. That game will always be the BEST!!11eleven

harebear

Fledgling Freddie
Too dark yes, but phun to play around with some of the commands especially when fighting zombies. Try typing these in console,

af_skipfriction 1
af_skiplimits 1

Now when you kill zombies they go break dancing around on the floor xD Gonna find more phun stuff in 1 week when im back from spajn :d

Coim

Fledgling Freddie
Sissyfoo said:
Have to agree with Enigma on some points. Waaay too much darkness. Sure it can add to the scary factor but it just gets boring after a while. Having to flick between a torch and a gun all the time pisses me off intensely. I don't really like the way the monsters die ... not sure why but it grates at me. ~shrug~

The game has made me jump a few times but I don't think it can hold a candle to AvP2 in terms of atmosphere. That game will always be the BEST!!11eleven
Psht, I like the way you have to switch between them. :p

Gives it a sense of realism (even if the story itself is pretty unrealistic,) and also I think it makes it a lot more 'jumpy.'

Nothing better than walking around a corner with your torch out just to see a zombie type thing staring you in the face. xD

Coim

Fledgling Freddie
Oh, and the actual game itself isn't too bad. :p

Nothing new really, however the graphics / music / sound effects are amazing, and because of this the atmosphere in the game is fantastic. xD

mts

Fledgling Freddie
Raven said:
John Carmack (sp?) though his own games suck badly.

I think you mean John Romero mate, Carmack is still very much a part of the id software staff.

Coim

Fledgling Freddie
shot00004.jpg

Fucking amazing. xD

k9awya

Can't get enough of FH
r_gamma 2 you noobs

takes a lot out of the game though

Sissyfoo

Fledgling Freddie
Coim said:
Psht, I like the way you have to switch between them. :p

Gives it a sense of realism (even if the story itself is pretty unrealistic,) and also I think it makes it a lot more 'jumpy.'

Nothing better than walking around a corner with your torch out just to see a zombie type thing staring you in the face. xD

It is too predictable.

"Oh look! Another empty room...looks like nothing interesting will happen here..."

*lighting turns red and lots of imps spawn*

Fun for, like, the first 10 times that happened.

The same goes for the seemingly innocent dark corners or the corridors with flickering lights.

It is a good game...just not really worth all the hype.

Tualatin

Fledgling Freddie
there's no quake4 coming? :p

anyhow, doom3 sounds a bit half-life like.. haven't played tho =) givf unreal3

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Doom 3 is nothing like HL tbh, its a totally different experience. For one thing, I never jumped in my chair when mutant babies flew out of dark corners at me in HL.

Could be because there are no mutant babies in HL, but its still some scary shit!

scary%20baby.jpg

big%20monster%20thing.jpg

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/tom.jeffs4/doom3/

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom