DOOM 3 UK Release

SAS

Can't get enough of FH
DOOM 3 is finally out in Europe today. The daddy of gaming has arrived... Or is it just all hype?

There is no doubt the game is good, but is it what id software promised? Post your views...

Ixoth

One of Freddy's beloved
I bought it myself yesterday.

Lots of ppl have criticised few of these issues:
-in multiplayer game mode only a deathmatch mode
-in multiplayer game mode only 4 players max
-one have to switch between the flash light and a weapon - both cannot be simultaneously used at the same time.

...Well there are already mods for the game, to take care of all but one of the issues (topmost issue) - I speculate that someone figures how to add other multiplayer modes as well.

Imho the game graphics are superb, also is the animation. But I have played the game like only few hours or so.. so.

There is a good review at the gamespot of the game . So check out that.

Cask

Fledgling Freddie
If you're looking for something to eat during this evenings gaming session I can recommended barbecue flavour jumbo snack a jacks. Can't believe I haven't bought them before, they're great.

Conchabar

Fledgling Freddie
everything i expected in id and i could have ever hopped for. it is truely a great 3rd sequel to the game =)

Cask

Fledgling Freddie
Oh wow what a let down. Bought the game today, waited till evening to play it and 1 minute into the game the sound goes balls-up and starts crackling like crazy. Disabling surround sound makes it work but seriously I wasn't expecting to only be able to use 2 of my speakers with this game. Unplayable.

Miles_Binck

Fledgling Freddie
Cask, Doom3 takes its surround sound settings from the windows control panel so you need to make sure you have everything configured correctly in there

You can also force it to use more than 2 speakers by editting the DoomConfig.cfg*:

Open the DoomConfig.cfg file (If windows asks you what program to open it with choose notepad or wordpad from the list).

Go to the edit menu and select "Find"
When it asks what to search for type "s_numberOfSpeakers " (without the quotes), hit enter

Change the value of the number in quotes to 2,4,5,6 which represents most closely the number of speakers you have

The full line for a 7.1 setup would look like
seta s_numberOfSpeakers "6"

*make sure you make a backup just incase it gets fubar'ed

Aada

Part of the furniture
Cask said:
Oh wow what a let down. Bought the game today, waited till evening to play it and 1 minute into the game the sound goes balls-up and starts crackling like crazy. Disabling surround sound makes it work but seriously I wasn't expecting to only be able to use 2 of my speakers with this game. Unplayable.

I love it when people immediatley blame the game for fuck ups

Cask

Fledgling Freddie
Well yep. Given that every other game I own works fine and there are a quite a few threads on the net by people with the same problem I'd say that they deserve some blame.

Xtro

One of Freddy's beloved
Got it. Disappointing.

At first its like wow yeah lovely eye candy.

Then the...dark...gets...boring...and small...confined spaces...zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

3 hrs play and I'm bored already ffs.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Cask said:
Well yep. Given that every other game I own works fine and there are a quite a few threads on the net by people with the same problem I'd say that they deserve some blame.

Serves you right for trying to run it on a 386. Seriously though, its crashed only once on me, everything else has been fine.

katt!

Fledgling Freddie
Tom said:
Serves you right for trying to run it on a 386. Seriously though, its crashed only once on me, everything else has been fine.
tom from esr?

Mercenary

Fledgling Freddie
:flame:

It kept crashing on me when I first got it, but the latest ATI video card drivers resolved that.

The game it too dark. I now have it on full brighness (highest setting in options) which is just about okay.

I have a 2.8GHz Intel CPU (overclocked to 3.09GHz), 800MHz FSB, 1GB RAM, Radeon Pro 256MB graphics card, etc. and the game is a little slow. I am running n 1024x768 res - all other games run fine in 1600x12000. Maybe it just needs some tweaking.

Gameplay is slow and boring. AI is poor, shadow effects are poor, peoples heads are square - not round, etc. MP is pants. Can't lean round corners, etc. :puke:

Very disapointing. The first 2 (2.5 if you include the Ultimate Doom) were far more entertaining and groundbreakng when they came out.

It is interesting that in this months PCZone they say that Far Cry is marginly better (94% as opposed to Doom 3 90%). Who plays Far Cry? I'm still playing Battlefield Vietnam which is far more entertaining! :twak:

However I will keep playing it just because it is Doom... :kissit:

Requ!em

Fledgling Freddie
Mercenary said:
:
The game it too dark. I now have it on full brighness (highest setting in options) which is just about okay.

I have a 2.8GHz Intel CPU (overclocked to 3.09GHz), 800MHz FSB, 1GB RAM, Radeon Pro 256MB graphics card, etc. and the game is a little slow. I am running n 1024x768 res - all other games run fine in 1600x12000. Maybe it just needs some tweaking.

You can adjust brighness a little further using r_lightscale and r_gamma. Tweaking can give another 10-17 FPS on average.

Link to help with both http://ucguides.savagehelp.com/Doom3/FPSVisuals.htm

Keep playing it as it's an enjoyable game, just feels a little 'scripted' at times.

KevinUK

Can't get enough of FH
If you turn the brightness up it makes stuff that you can normally see look horrible so i have the brightness half way :(

I bet HL2 will be rubbish now and I know I will buy that game too :twak:

throdgrain

FH is my second home
For the last time (possibly) , HL2 will piss all over doom 3 - throd prediction!

KevinUK

Can't get enough of FH
It wont be too hard if HL2 doesnt require a torch just to see the room you are in :p

But it will still find a way to suck I can see it now :(

And who wants to play the new CS? It's just CS in better graphics? I got bored of CS years ago. :eek:

Aada

Part of the furniture
cs sucked imo you logged onto a server and about 3 ppl were using aim bots and all the other l33t hacks

SAS

Can't get enough of FH
halflife 2 is going to involve wide open spaces, advanced AI (check out the gameplay videos) daylight (none of this, hiding crap in pitch darkness), vehicles, physical damage can be made to nearly all objects... the list goes on.

In my view you can't compare the two games. Doom 3 for me was good, quite scary, although I'm sick of being told where to go, scripting is dead tbh. Half-Life 2 is going to be more dynamic but not scary.

Question is with Doom 3 being purely single player is half-life going to offer full multiplayer modes or need mods like Doom 3?

Ronso

Can't get enough of FH
Hey fellas - just want a point of view from you -

After waiting for months on the new Doom 3 and watching many clips and reading updates and forums - I finally purchased it on its release day yesterday - My play time on the game now is about 2 and a half hours and although it starts fantastically when you enter the game and your can intereact with all the screens etc and admire the beautiful detail , I felt that the action scenarios were a bit repetitive and I spent a lot of the time just wanting to ' get them over with ' so I could move on to a different area -

For the first hour of fighting - its all done in the dark with the same style of monsters popping up in the suspected places and all the origianal interaction you could previously do seemed to have been forgotten - Now it was just standard bare level areas and monsters shooting at you with pistols and shotguns .. At the start , everyone you passed was mid conversation and there were tvs and screens that allowed you to read up info and watch clips on but they all seem to have been destroyed after the story-lines accident.

So after playing a small part of the game and going to bed - I dont know if it lived up to my expectations - certainly the beggining did but I felt it was very traditional after the monsters came.. always dark and you always knew what area they would spawn in ... Its only a point of view so I would appreciate responses and bear in mind that I only had limited play time on it so far so if it picks up again with more interaction and storyline style antics let me know so I can really look forward to playing it tonight after work . :D

Ps : the bathroom was unreal - the errie reflections in the mirror and watching yourself punch the air before a demon attacked you from behind was fantastic - top marks to the Doom team for that one :worthy:

On another point - I also encountered something and I think its an error so if you guys could tell me if you got the same thing - after a bit into the game when you have begun the combat - I started to get some sort of fuzz on the screen as if it was snowing inside as I was playing - the first time it happened I thought mebbe it was water sprinklers as there were fires everywhere but now I begin to doubt that - any ideas?

On a final note - half life and doom are two different styles of games I think and Half life will have a lot less restrictions in the game and will allow you to explore different things and I also feel that HL2 will not become repetitive as there are more things involved from the buggys to the clean up squad and the different guns etc - Half Life 2 does beat Doom 3 and I know its hard for the old skool gamers as it were to accept it but Half life is in the hall of fame now too -

Givf responses because Im interested to know :D

Aada

Part of the furniture
Well most of the tvs and stuff were destroyed because everyone in the base went insane? thought that was pretty obvious

fatbusinessman

Fledgling Freddie
My two penn'eth:

Doom 3 is a really good game - it's absolutely gorgeous, even on medium settings, and it (quite literally, in places) oozes atmosphere.

However, the gameplay is rather repetitive, and I think this is where Half-Life 2 will probably show itself to be the superior game, not to mention the multiplayer aspect. But I shall wait semi-patiently and see...

Aada

Part of the furniture
i struggle thinking how HL2 will be any different? shoot here shoot there its still an fps

V

Vectrex

Just my 2p's worth....

I've been away from gaming properly for quite a while and was quite looking forward to Doom3 and so I dutifully went out and bought it.

I've been playing for about 3 hours ish and I'm not as impressed as I thought I would be. The darkness was quite good to begin with (helping with the atmosphere and all) but it does get a bit shit having to constantly swap the flashlight and your chosen weapon. Turning the brightness on my monitor up and the gamma in-game up did nothing but make everything look shit. Just read about the mod that solves the flashlight problem so I'm going to give that a go but the game wasn't fun, just slightly scary to begin with then really effin frustrating.

Overall not very impressed. I did download the dodgy beta hl2 and quite liked what I managed to see inbetween crashes, so maybe that'll turn out to be more my kind of game. The scripting in d3 managed to drive me slightly mad so hopefully there'll be less of it in hl2.

I'm sure id will still make a ton of cash out of it but it doesn't have the same appeal as q2 had.

d.

GekuL

Fledgling Freddie
Aada said:
i struggle thinking how HL2 will be any different? shoot here shoot there its still an fps

Are you new to first person shooters by any chance?

Syrus_The_Virus

Fledgling Freddie
I cant beleive how dissapointing and boring this game is ...
Yeah it looks pretty, but I cant seem to bring myself to play it again after my first bash on it!

Aada

Part of the furniture
Gekul just explain to me how the fuck HL2 is going to be any different? fine you got a different scenery out doors wohoooooo lol u kill Aliens and other things get to the end of the lvl onto the next........ or am i missing something? you people are talking like HL2 is the next coming pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee....

The reason they made it so u had to keep switching between a flash light and a weapon was to keep the darkness there.. if the facility was light up it would spoil the atmosphere that the facility has been fucked up by deamons from hell..

I struggle to see whats so damn boring with you guys? the story isnt all that bad the journals you find with the audio logs and pretty cool to hear especialy the one in hell..

I think the game is so fuckin awsome to be honest sit at the comp lights out head phones on crank up the volume and then you have yaself doom 3 how it was meant to be played..

GekuL

Fledgling Freddie
I don't know whether half-life 2 will be better to be honest, it will be different though. I don't know why you get so worked up over it, surely you can see there will be differences that are more to other peoples tastes, whether you agree with them or not?
You have more than one character in DaoC, why is that? They each essentially do the same thing don't they?

Aada

Part of the furniture
yeah i accept differences and tastes but saying the game is boring is laughable to be honest

nath

Fledgling Freddie
It's not though. I enjoyed it, but I can see why some people would find it boring. It is very samey, and there's nothing new here bar the spangly graphics. Half-Life did have more depth to it, did feel like more than just a simple fps. All of that leads people to think that HL2 will have more depth too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom