Doom 3 strangeness

Teren

One of Freddy's beloved
Did a few benchmarks (timedemo demo1 in console) with different settings, showed pretty strange results...

http://vladik.infonet.ee/?image=doom1.jpg
http://vladik.infonet.ee/?image=doom2.jpg
http://vladik.infonet.ee/?image=doom3.jpg

thats on the first run of the demo, had 17fps from the 3rd one.

strangely, medium qual, no AA, no specular - 20 fps.... imho l33t graphics >> 3fps ;)

also my spec:
Pentium 3 1.4GHz
512mb sdram
Geforce FX5600 128mb (non-ultra)
Forceware 61.77 drivers

P.S used the image_cache tweak, and player shadow
P.P.S in single player the game is very playable, i get lag only in heavily lighted rooms with alot of enemies

Teren

One of Freddy's beloved
used another tweak (extracting the pk4's), turned off AA and turned on vsync, now im getting 30fps all the time on high qual with shadows/specular/bump :D

Tom

I am a FH squatter
1024x768 here, everything maxed, 4xaa and vsync on, never drops below about 40fps :)

athlon 3000xp normal clock, geforce 6800gt overclocked a bit :)

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Tom said:
1024x768 here, everything maxed, 4xaa and vsync on, never drops below about 40fps :)

athlon 3000xp normal clock, geforce 6800gt overclocked a bit :)

Hate you so much :eek:

throdgrain

FH is my second home
In single player mines mostly around 60fps . It occasionally dips but its not noticable.
Thats at 1024x768 on "medium" settings, with only shadows turned off. Seems more than acceptable to me .

Nightchill

Can't get enough of FH
Turning shadows off would lessen the single player experience, don't do it! :)

Tom

I am a FH squatter
throdgrain said:
In single player mines mostly around 60fps . It occasionally dips but its not noticable.
Thats at 1024x768 on "medium" settings, with only shadows turned off. Seems more than acceptable to me .

Turning shadows off aer teh ghey!

throdgrain

FH is my second home
I get a mad sparkling sometimes when I play d3, all over the screen.
It doesnt happen however all the time . Anyone heard of that before ?
AMD 3000xp/radion 9800pro btw.

Hello Requiem !

Cdr

One of Freddy's beloved
yo yo yo

What drivers is you like using Throddy?

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
milou said:
o/t: Tom, how are you getting on with that 6800GT? Pretty happy with it? I'm tempted for an upgrade from my Ti4600.

(edit: oh and D3 trickjump movie (62mb) - if that's yer thing: http://www.badct.de/dlredir.php3?id=2280&type=file)

6800 GT owns. I have one, paid £285 for it, clocks to 412/1100, can't complain on a back per buck level.

throdgrain said:

Have seen that on a few forums throd, what catalyst are you using? (...and i hope it's not another 9800 Pro on the way out).

G

Requ!em

Fledgling Freddie
throdgrain said:

Hello Requiem !

Hi Thodgrain =)

If the sparkles are like 'snow' they can be caused by an overheating video card, overclocked video card or possibly drivers.

Teren

One of Freddy's beloved
Requ!em said:
Have you tried any other tweaks?

I've created a Best Visual Compromise / FPS Compromise Config for singleplayer that might be helpful. See the Framerate and Visual Tweaks section of the UpsetChaps Doom3 Guide.

Be warned, lots of spoilers in the guide =)

i tried to use the one for 128mb cards... runs the same as it does now, but w/ worse quality, and i don't like the LOD (level of detail) when u move far away

throdgrain

FH is my second home
Well, I dont generally have a problem when I play d3 just after starting the pc from cold, so an overheating video card I suppose does hold some credence as an arguement, particularly as its been hot of late I suppose..
My drivers are 4.7 cats , of course :)

Cdr

One of Freddy's beloved
upgrade the drivers to the 4.9 betas - a mate of mine fixed the snowy effect on his by doing that.

throdgrain

FH is my second home
I have actually downloaded them already Cdr , but I baulked at installing em in case they messed up BFV or CS . You mate had no "side effects" has he?
Actually bugger it, Ill ask you in irc :)

Requ!em

Fledgling Freddie
Teren said:
i tried to use the one for 128mb cards... runs the same as it does now, but w/ worse quality, and i don't like the LOD (level of detail) when u move far away

Thanks for the feedback Teren, on most systems the gain is ~17 FPS with very little loss of texture detail unless compared to high / ultra settings. I also don't alter LOD, it's left at default 0; perhaps you mean anisotropy?

You could try using the 128 config with the following adjustments:

seta image_downSizeLimit "1024"
seta image_downSizeBumpLimit "1024"
seta image_downSizeSpecularLimit "128"
seta image_anisotropy "2"

Requ!em

Fledgling Freddie
throdgrain said:
I have actually downloaded them already Cdr , but I baulked at installing em in case they messed up BFV or CS . You mate had no "side effects" has he?
Actually bugger it, Ill ask you in irc :)

To save you installing the full 4.9 beta and possibly messing up other games:

• Open the driver executable with Winzip or Winrar or run the driver executable to extract the files to a directory.
  • Locate the atioglxx.dl_ file and extract it to c:\
  • Open a command prompt and change to c:\
  • Expand atioglxx.dl_ by typing expand atioglxx.dl_ atioglxx.dll
  • Copy the expanded atioglxx.dll to your Doom3 directory

Doom3 will use the new 4.9 OpenGL while other games will use the original OpenGL driver.

Teren

One of Freddy's beloved
That's OK, I'm pretty fine playing as it is ATM. High qual, all effects, no AA. steady 30fps in most areas ;)

Teren

One of Freddy's beloved
The biggest and most effective tweak is extracting all the .pk4's.... but not on all system, I think my it's good on my system 'cause my weak CPU doesn't need to extract anything on the fly :)

stormrider

Fledgling Freddie
Just going through tweaking my settings along with timedemo and noticed my com_videoram still set at 64 (arg), should be 256. FPS went from 36.5 to 49.7
This is on a 9800xt with 4.9 beta cats

onwards

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom