Doom 3 end boss - what a joke...

Bugz

Fledgling Freddie
The atmosphere leading up to the last boss was awesome!

Then it was simply a ring in which you kite him, kill the easy mobs that come out and soulcube him to death in about 4-5 shots?

I was expecting an epic 10 minute fight...

what an anti-climax!!

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
Play Old school Doom 2 on Nightmare mode ! Free download. Only 30 MB or so. Great stuff

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
The atmosphere leading up to the last boss was awesome!

Then it was simply a ring in which you kite him, kill the easy mobs that come out and soulcube him to death in about 4-5 shots?

I was expecting an epic 10 minute fight...

what an anti-climax!!

if you think thats bad, play the alien game on Snes. the last boss there isnt even a fight :< its just a cutscene of ripley shoving it out of the airlock :flame::flame:

fettoken

I am a FH squatter
I think there is a mod that removes the soulcube and makes you able to shoot him to death only. Not that you can unsee what you have already seen ;P

Jeros

Part of the furniture
I agree it was too dam easy!

"hells mightest warrior" killed me less times than the bosses before it!

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
Doom 3 was quite sadly dire :( as are almost all FPS brought out these days, theres the odd exception like Left 4 Dead, Team Fortress 2 although those are MP games... single player has gone down hill way to much.

That said Left 4 Dead 2 is coming soon that'll be ace :)

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
Been playing Doom 2 (old school) for the past 2 days. Would love to have the 3D version, but problem with these forums is you get 900 pages of WTF-are-they-on-about-tech-speak...hundreds of geek forum members arguing about which version of the 7894437.453.wad file can be converted by using a D103 plasma rifle program downloadable from a secure FBI website...WTF !!??

I need a step-by-step guide in plain english on how 2 do it

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home

Something like this? (NOTE: No idea if it's safe)

About the end boss, it's a common problem in shooters and in any game really.

It comes down to production time, crunch and the most important part; player progression.

Production/crunch time is a given; you have a limited time to produce a large FPS rollercoaster and often the last bits are done in haste. Poor excuse i know, but that's how modern game development works. Producers pushing for the stuff to come out like a hooker so she'll get half the work for full pay. Starting from the end might work, but it would also mean that if you start creating the end boss at first(like often is done), the crunch time means that you most likely are left with an untuned boss that is, again, too easy.

Also have to take into consideration player progression; IT's hard to create a fitting end boss when you have to give the player progression during the gameplay. Guns get bigger, player gets better(both in skills and character skills in some cases) and still you have to remember that if aplayer manages to skim to the end, he can't be put against an uber boss that can't be defeated if you've managed to lose all that big gun ammo.

So the end boss has to be harder, but beatable by all player/equipment levels.

Difficulty levels ofcourse in modern games are, due to production values etc, a slapped on addition, but it could easily work if the difficulty levels itself worked.

What could be done? HAve a dedicated team/person working on the final boss through the whole project, modifying and changing accordingly.

Good games have this, but most the time there's just not enough dough for it.

Little gamedev rant there :D

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
Been playing Doom 2 (old school) for the past 2 days. Would love to have the 3D version, but problem with these forums is you get 900 pages of WTF-are-they-on-about-tech-speak...hundreds of geek forum members arguing about which version of the 7894437.453.wad file can be converted by using a D103 plasma rifle program downloadable from a secure FBI website...WTF !!??

aye i'd have helped but I havent used Jdoom for a v long time so wouldnt know where to start.

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
Used the link Toto gave me, followed the guidance, but zippo.
Went on to the Doomsday forum and eventually got it working after 2 days trolling the threads.
The game is AWESOME now with the new textures ! Feels like a brand new game :D:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom