Don't want this to be a debate about piracy but...

G

[GA] KillmachinE

Hi,

I have a few questions about TRIBES, here we go.

I'm very ashamed to admit that i downloaded TRIBES the other day from someone on IRC, it works but of course does not include the game STARSIEGE and also, obviously, does not have a manual. I can play it online and have done a few times now. I've found the graphics to be pretty good, and very fast But it all seems a bit confusing, DOES THE MANUAL HELP? Also, i dont know shit, like how to talk and say all that cool stuff, i only have 1 training mission etc..etc..

Is the game really cool? I LOVE IDCTF in Q2 due to the strategic elements and i think TRIBES could suit me, but untill i find out if its worth getting i won't buy it. Is the singleplayer game STARSIEGE any good?

I dont often get warez, and i do actually think its wrong but as its a multiplayer only game i made an exception (as it costs me money to play, even though its not going to the programmers) but I dont think i'd be able to keep playing it as it is, so i might aswell go out and buy the boxed set anyhow.

Hope someone can make sense of this and perhaps enlighten me about this game. Also, could we try not to turn this thread into a debate about software piracy and warez, cheers
smile.gif

------------------
[GA] KillmachinE
extreme@barrysworld.com

C

cro

Killmachine

You really do need the full version. There are so many options open to you that you'll be constantly learning new ways of doing things in Tribes.

The Tribes/Starsiege pack is peculiar to Europe, where for some reason Havas decided to package the two together. Tribes is available on it's own in the US (and hence over the web)

There are numerous reviews of tribes around - I've written one, as well as an opinion piece on the subject of Strategic COmmand within Tribes. There's also a well considered review in this months PC Gaming World (also oon Gamespot UK) However, all the reading doesn't make up for the playing - and just like IDCTF, LMCTF or any other type of team game, don;t expect to be any good when you first start playing. The training missions are good as an introduction to the way the game works, but are no substitution for real playtime.

Warning: you may find yourself hooked.

cro

(Fill in the URL's above yourself, although mine's below...)

------------------
www.barrysworld.com/cro

G

[GA] KillmachinE

Sounds good cro, you'll probably see me floating around on the Tribes servers at the weekend
biggrin.gif
(Running a legal version of the game!)

------------------
[GA] KillmachinE
extreme@barrysworld.com

[This message has been edited by [GA] KillmachinE (edited 26 May 1999).]

S

Shelob

Theres loads of sites out there geared towards the newbie and whilst I would say its worth buying the game and giving something back to the programmers and having a nice glossy manual you don't really need it.
i have bought the game now but I had the warez when it was unavailable in this country (utterly bent cant they do global launches ffs) I learnt with no manual.
www.gribbsy.demon.co.uk/tribes.htm

B

Brit

We get a lot of mail at Planet-Tribes about this subject, and an equal amount about our Tactics 101 section.

The game can be fairly daunting in some respects to new players, especially as it involves a lot of communication, tactics and teamwork to prove victorious - especially on public servers!

Tactics 101 can be found at: www.Planet-Tribes.com and is widely recognised as the most complete and dare I say it, useful, overall tactics guide to the great game that is Tribes.

Of course, the best way is just to jump on a server and blast around
smile.gif

--Brit--

------------------
Editor, Planet-Tribes.com
Editor, Tribesplayers.co.uk
Editor, EuroTribes.com

[This message has been edited by Brit (edited 26 May 1999).]

E

EgoWarrior

What do you mean? in the file's section?

I still can't find it and plant-tribes has got nothing about the manual on as far as i can see

E

Exocet

Think I got a US version, 'cos it was Tribes only, but anyway, if you want the manual, I'll see what I can do matey...

[GA]
[KT] Exocet

E

[EM]vaggabond

to be honest the manual is quite bad, I have both the US version (which I bought at christmas) and the UK version (thanx to the TPF ppl
smile.gif
) and both manual sare full of that rubbish about the history of the clans. Handy little cardy thing tho with all the commands on it

------------------
The Vaggabond of the Western WorldELECTRIC MAYHEM
WWW.PLANET-TRIBES.COM/EM

WWW.TRIBESPLAYERS.CO.UK

G

[GA] KillmachinE

Hey, i've just found out loads of stuff, how to talk, place turrets, operate cameras, and generally kick ass
wink.gif

I will by the game anyway now as it's so damn cool. Cheers for the info.

------------------
[GA] KillmachinE
extreme@barrysworld.com

E

EgoWarrior

Has anyone got a PDF of the manual they could mail me. I've been playing a while, i've read the manual cover to cover but would like a version that i could read on my comp without going through the whole of the tribesplayers manual ( which excludes page 51 ????)

Thanx
egowarrior@yahoo.com

------------------
hehhehehe,
hmmm....
There'll always be milk!!!

egowarrior@yahoo.com
ICQ# 32578313

P

Plantpot

I do believe if Ted saw this he would eat yer nuts off....no advertising and no illegal activities....remember
smile.gif

G

[GA] KillmachinE

Brought the game today, £34.99
wink.gif
Installed it, clicked it little icon and guess what happened next.....

BSOD! FATAL EXCEPTION !!!!

Stupid flippin game. My warez version didn't fuck up.
frown.gif

------------------
[GA] KillmachinE
extreme@barrysworld.com

E

Ewan

The reason it fucks up is not the game, but the drivers. Basically the new q3 drivers from 3dfx screw up almost every game out there that uses glide, including tribes.

reinstall an older 3dfx driver for whichever card youve got,and itll work

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom