Dont Suppose I Can Run DR On Cata Client? :P

Glittery_Princess

One of Freddy's beloved
Hey all, this might sound daft, but my pc cannot cope with the new Camelot graphics at all - it takes me around 40 minutes to get from the entrance up to the Kings Throne Room and its driving me crazy. Most of the time i go LD before i even get there. Ive got all the settings in the options menu down to a minimum but its making no difference.

So anyway, just wondered if i used the Cata client would i still be able to get access to the Kings Throne Room etc?

Or can anyone give some advice on what else i could do, other than go buy more ram (I know i need it lol)

Naffets

Can't get enough of FH
What graphics card are you using?

As far as i know you cannot enter DR zones in cata client.

If you tell me your system specs i may be able to help though.

Roalith

Can't get enough of FH
Nope, you can't - you have to have the DR client to enter any of the Darkness Rising-related instances (Foothills of Albion, King's Crossing, Throne Room for EG).

Alternatively, you could have a seperate install of Catacombs, use it to get next to the 'porter' guard outside the throne room, switch clients and right click the guard in DR?

Glittery_Princess

One of Freddy's beloved
Oh god, system specs, bear with me here cos i know absolutely nothing about computers:

Pentium 4
3.2 GHz Processor
512 MB DDR
160GB 7200 rpm Hard Disk
ATI Radeon 9200 SE 128 MB DDR

Probably said too much, but thats all i know :p

*Clueless*

Naffets

Can't get enough of FH
Just about to head home from work so im afraid i'll have to be brief

Head to www.ati.com

On the left hand side it says download catalyst 5.13 or something along those lines (Requires.net) If you recall installing .net framework previously, then there is no need to click where it says requires .net, if you don't recall doing it then download that first. Run and install the dotnetfx.exe file from the microsoft website.

Once done, download the actual driver package from ati (click download catalyst 5.13) and install that, then you will be asked to restart your system, reboot, (the screen will flicker a few times) then see how you get on.

If you get windows logo warnings (this driver has not passed windows logo testing etc etc) then just click continue anyway.

I'll check when i get home from work to see how you've got on.

Naffets

Can't get enough of FH
Roalith said:
That won't be helping much either :)

Yeah but it _will_ still run at a playable framerate with 512, with a big enough page file. My 2nd pc manages fine so :)

Naffets

Can't get enough of FH
25 damage gamah!

right orenthal?

Edit: Sorry for hijack Glittery_Princess

Glittery_Princess

One of Freddy's beloved
Lol np with the hijack lol

Ok gonna try all that downloading now - sorry hadnt checked back - didnt expect such a good response tbh lol :)

Ill let ya all know how i get on :)

Corran

Part of the furniture
ATI are now onto 6.1 and it fixes alot of problems people had with fps lag/crashes in daoc....

Finding it alot better.... or maybe that is just a mix of fresh format + new drivers (remember make sure .net installed, use ATI catalyst uninstaller, reboot, install cat 6.1, ) then install Directx again <find works better if install it again after changing drivers>

But as pointed out above.. 512mb not really good now unfortunately. Try get some more and you be set... though you should be fine getting around with them it will be jumpy

Naffets

Can't get enough of FH
reinstalling directx after updating graphics drivers? Never heard that one before and i work in the IT support industry, something has to be wrong with dx for a reinstall of dx to fix something tbh.

512 is fine, but will need a hefty page file to compensate really, and not a windows managed one.

Glittery_Princess

One of Freddy's beloved
Ok, i installed the .net thingy, then i installed the Catalyst thingy - now i have a thing on my desktop called "Catalyst Control Center" - that right?

Erm, kinda didnt use the Catalyst uninstaller first tho, and i do remember downloading Catalyst drivers last year - so have i fecked up or will it be ok?

Do i have to do anything else?

Naffets

Can't get enough of FH
Glittery_Princess said:
Ok, i installed the .net thingy, then i installed the Catalyst thingy - now i have a thing on my desktop called "Catalyst Control Center" - that right?

Erm, kinda didnt use the Catalyst uninstaller first tho, and i do remember downloading Catalyst drivers last year - so have i fecked up or will it be ok?

Do i have to do anything else?

You shouldn't need to run the driver cleaner, shouldn't make a massive difference in any case. Just log in and test it see if it works, if not we can try plenty of other things. Might be a tad easier if you catch me on irc or something but i don't know if you use it.

Test it anyhow and see how you do.

Glittery_Princess

One of Freddy's beloved
OK i played for a little while tonight and it hasnt made much of a difference really - still mega laggy in Camelot, and it still made me go LD.

:(

Glittery_Princess

One of Freddy's beloved
Hmm just went for a run around Tir Na Nog on the Cluster server and i had no lag whatsoever - could it be the Glastonbury server thats just fecking up my pc? :p

Corran

Part of the furniture
Naffets said:
reinstalling directx after updating graphics drivers? Never heard that one before and i work in the IT support industry, something has to be wrong with dx for a reinstall of dx to fix something tbh.

512 is fine, but will need a hefty page file to compensate really, and not a windows managed one.

I just do it as standard now due to fact had few problems if i hadnt.. doesnt necessarily make much difference but it will make sure that nothing as gone wrong. I just like to eliminate every possible problem though.

And it is always advisable to remove catalyst/drivers first on ATI because it never works as well as when you dont.. had problem late last year when 5.11 drivers were out. I would get GFX freezes playing daoc. Installed 5.12 over them and still had the same problem, however when i removed them fully using uninstaller then reinstalled 5.12 again the problem had gone.

As a point of note, you using catacombs or classic models? If catacombs then switch to classic, reason being that there are so many people in camelot at the moment (that used to be laggy at best of times) that probably work better if you dont use the stupid fluff gfx

Kaun_IA

Fledgling Freddie
Glittery_Princess said:
Oh god, system specs, bear with me here cos i know absolutely nothing about computers:

Pentium 4
3.2 GHz Processor
512 MB DDR
160GB 7200 rpm Hard Disk
ATI Radeon 9200 SE 128 MB DDR

Probably said too much, but thats all i know :p

*Clueless*

your setup is better than mine, but i can run in main city whitout eny big probs (its strange couse sometimes i dont lagg at all, and 5 minz later i lag so bad that i can hardly move)

2,4gig P4
768 craappy ram
7200rpm 100 gig hd (partioned)
ati radeon x800pro 256 drr (oh well mybe thats the case i can run it )

Naffets

Can't get enough of FH
The x800 is probably pushing you through there mate, they're quite nice cards. I have one in my system here at work :)

SkarIronfist

Fledgling Freddie
Unfortunately the ATI 9200 is very very low end for gfx.

I think life would improve alot for G.P. if the card was replaced. Preferably by something that was Nvidia 6800GT +/or ATI equivalent.

Kinag

Part of the furniture
Get some more RAM and a new GFX Card and you should be sorted :p

Glittery_Princess

One of Freddy's beloved
Oh god thats gonna cost a fair bit isnt it?

Im gonna try uninstalling the Catalyst drivers and then installing them again, also will switch off the catacombs models just until i get these quests done - its got to the point now that i cant group with anyone to do them, cos by the time ive loaded into Camelot (Which takes ages too btw), and lagged my way up to the Throne Room, the people in my group have already been in, got next quest, and are already at the location etc :p

Thanks loads for your help :D:D Will keep u updated on how i get on lol :)

Naffets

Can't get enough of FH
£21 + delivery to double your ram
£60-90 for a substantial graphics upgrade

I still think its possible to get it running on that setup without any money being spent. I completely agree, 1GB is useful, but i think its possible to manage at 512.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom