don't call me a reta*d you c*nt!

Ezteq

Queen of OT
oh ffs! i mean really!!

BBC NEWS | Magazine | The path from cinema to playground

how many films do you watch where they call eachother nasty names? bitch, bastard, motherfucker, c*nt or if its an english film twat tosser wanker and bugger....these it seems are all perfectly acceptable ways of addressing people....just don't call them a retard Oo

i almost got run down by some boys riding bikes on the pavement yesterday i yelled at them and i believe i finished off by calling them morons....oh noes!

i'm going to hell anyway, who cares.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Its the state of things I am afraid, wierdo lefties blaming everything on someone or something else when their precious little scum bags get into trouble rather than blame themselves for being shit parents.

Gorbachioo

Fledgling Freddie
Some old fart once called me an idiot for driving a bike on the wrong side of the pavement.

I gave him the finger. :(

(I just had to share my similar story)

kiliarien

Part of the furniture
Its the state of things I am afraid, wierdo lefties blaming everything on someone or something else when their precious little scum bags get into trouble rather than blame themselves for being shit parents.

I most definitely agree. Bring your kids up right and everything is fine.And that article is clearly behind the times some way. I'm a teacher, and kids have been calling each other retards for the past 9 months as the latest fashionable or new 'in' insult.

If they were that bothered they shouldn't let their kid see it - it is a 15 after all. Politically correct tossbags :lol:

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
Someone flipped me the bird for driving my land rover on the pavement. Some people...

Azurus

Can't get enough of FH
wierdo lefties

Do you support the NHS? Free Schooling for everyone? If you are a weirdo leftie too.

Although that's pretty irrelevant as this issue has absolutely nothing to do with being left or right wing.

Amanita

Part of the furniture
Well, I gotta admit anyone calling my deaf and autistic cousin a retard would get a very dirty look from me. There might even be harsh words.

Sharma

Can't get enough of FH
Funnily enough, you get the same for saying disabled etc too.

blah blah impaired, blah blah challenged, it's all bollocks.

Huntingtons

Resident Freddy
to be fair, being called a retard hurts quite alot if its from somebody you suposedly should be learning from (teacher...). i tried it, wasnt fun :(

Calaen

I am a massive cock who isn't firing atm!
Comment from the bottom :p

As a disabled, bisexual, "goth", I've been called a lot of things. While my school-days weren't entirely a barrel of laughs, I've come to realise that getting overly upset by a word just really isn't important. It's the caller of the name that is the "retard", not the target.
Joelle, Rugby, UK

tris-

Failed Geordie and Parmothief
A new film repeatedly uses the word "retard". Can it be acceptable to use satirically or is it intrinsically offensive and a quick route to playground and workplace insults?

im pretty sure the film pictured is tropic thunder. that film is rated 15 by the BBFC. is the bbc serious implying a 15 yr old would not have heard something much worse already?

but there are still fears over the potential effect of the film.

this is what i fucking hate about these bbc cunting retards. they say this to IMPLY something but why do they not list the potential effects? my guess, cos there isnt any. theyre trying to stir shit, the fucking twats.

Amanita

Part of the furniture
Well the big question is whether we really think that possibly hurtful names or tags really should become the norm? Do we really think this is acceptable?

I recall that in my playground I went around calling people mongs actually believing it was short for mongrel. My mother explained to me a year or two back that I was actually referring to people with Downs syndrome. Now I don't feel proud of myself.

Just where does "tolerance for satire" bleed into "tolerance for random abuse"?

tris-

Failed Geordie and Parmothief
are you saying entertainment is the same as real life events?

Sharma

Can't get enough of FH
The fact still stands that the word retard has been used for a long time in different contexts (Mentally retarded is one).

Of course not in a derogatry sense but the words been used for a long time either way and the fact that some people today take offense to it just shows typical examples of politically correct brainwashing thats rife in today's culture.

There's a hell of a lot worse you can call a disabled person.

Amanita

Part of the furniture
are you saying entertainment is the same as real life events?

No. Were you never affected by anything you saw on TV as a kid though?

Don't get me wrong, I find "going full retard" a giggle-worthy concept. I just feel that there might actually be cause for concern especially when the attitudes of children towards calling others "retards", especially when the tag is "deserved". Damn it can be hurtful if its a relation of yours and that kind of pointing and staring has made my aunt's obligoratory jaunts into Manchester more uncomfortable than necessary.

Yep, satire is great but shouldn't we be teaching each other and the kiddies the greater meaning of whats behind it? Or in indeed should these words lose their impact?

Imgormiel

Part of the furniture
bah, no one mentioned fucktard.....

Don't call me Daughter, not fair to, not fair to get get be....

:p

Amanita

Part of the furniture
No. Were you never affected by anything you saw on TV as a kid though?

how are you defining affected?
i watched everything and anything as i grew up. imo im a pretty average person. on the behavioural side that is.

Picked up any new trends from it? Or was it just my year in high school that parodied adult prejudices in the playfighting and namecalling without truely knowing what they were doing? Yep, me included.

Calaen

I am a massive cock who isn't firing atm!
I grew up around thugs, druggies, robbers and one of them actually killed someone. I saw things things people would be disgusted with and saw things that would make people laugh till they cried.

being a redhead and not having a father around the place, i was subject to as much shit as you could imagine going through school. Did I care? not a dot nothing anyone says to me matters much unless its from someone I love or care about.

People are to quick to blame shit on someone else, oh noes the called me fat I better run out and eat 12 donuts to make it true, its fucking hideous.

oh and I turned out mighty fine thank you.

Amanita

Part of the furniture
Bah, I never meant to go all peachy on people. Maybe its the light-headedness from my food poisoning thing but something about this thread and the responses I read made me move away from my stock "Damn you PC Brigade!" response to thinking that these people might actually have a point and with the internet being the big ole' soap box that it is I had to sing it to the world.

So without further ado enjoy the humouros macro.

Attachments

• pcbrigade.jpg
    pcbrigade.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 19

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
What's your avatar, Am ? Looks like a cross between a rabbit, a chicken, and an albino squirrel

Bugz

Fledgling Freddie
I'm not really for satirising disabled people or anything that people can take offence to. It is always iffy; will stir up people and in my opinion, does not do justice to the cause. The movie writers included it for laughs; not for education.

HOWEVER, films which successfully show disabled people as they are; and perhaps to show the qualities they possess which make them human, just the rest of us, should be encouraged, as they educate; rather than satirize. I remember having a much greater understanding for people with severe social problems and schizophrenics after watching A Beautiful Mind. Rain Man portrays a beautiful example of a relationship between a man and an autistic fellow; that inherently overcomes the problems that divide them. Films like that should be encouraged; because they make us think about situations. satirizing does sweet fuck all.

Media is coined as one of the most influential impacts on our life's - which is undoubtedly true. We should respect this; yet also utilise it - in the right ways - to help people gain a greater understanding of each other.

Then again; I know an overweight person who is overweight because of problems outside of his control. I find it absolutely fuckin appalling the abuse he gets and the abuse media gives people of his type.

People in general are fuckin disgraces; but media is a way to help influence that for the better (I know I was indifferent to people lacking at social skills; but now I look back on myself i feel disgusted for having that opinion).

Dukat

Resident Freddy
What's your avatar, Am ? Looks like a cross between a rabbit, a chicken, and an albino squirrel

WAIT WAIT WAIT, did it look anything like this?!?!

manbearpig.jpg

You guys! This could be super dangerous! I'm SUPER.SERIAL.

:D

Syri

FH is my second home
im pretty sure the film pictured is tropic thunder. that film is rated 15 by the BBFC. is the bbc serious implying a 15 yr old would not have heard something much worse already?

this is what i fucking hate about these bbc cunting retards. they say this to IMPLY something but why do they not list the potential effects? my guess, cos there isnt any. theyre trying to stir shit, the fucking twats.

the film is indeed tropic thunder. and they're REALLY overblowing the whole thing. In the film, yes, the word retard is used, but not as an insult, it's simply used to describe a condition which someone emulated for an acting role, and the person who acted in that role is being criticised for getting into it too far, and losing himself to the role.
and the film is indeed 15 rated. They want to make sure people who see this film don't take that language "to the playground"? keep the fecking kids out the cinema then! or better yet, educate them as to when is and is not an appropriate time to use words, instead of just saying "x is a bad word. YOU USED IT! you must be punished!"

Ezteq

Queen of OT
lol tbh when children get to name calling they could call you anything and make it sound like an insult.

when i were a lad at school we used to call people any of the following:

mong
ming
minger
spoon
spaz
plum
moose
spack
spacker
dur-brain

as far as i can tell only about 3 of these are real, proper words and they all mean something innocuous (an item of cutlery, a piece of fruit and a large quardupedial mammal). So really if you want to ban people from exposing children to anything that they may use as an abusive term in the future.....you should probably pierce their eardrums at birth.

on a side note, i use the word moron frequently but never ever have i had cause to use it towards someone who is mentally disabled Oo

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom