Donkey Kong record broken

H

heilel

Amazing people still play it..

REDMOND, Washington (AP) -- Steve Wiebe now rules as the Donkey Kong king after setting a new world record with more than 900,000 points in the classic video game.

The victory was a solitary one.

A few times a week, after his two young kids had gone to bed and his wife, Nicole, was busy working, the 34-year-old would head to the garage and turn on the video camera that would prove his score.

He diligently set to work maneuvering Mario to dodge objects thrown by an angry ape.

"Since I'd been trying so long, it wasn't like I jumped out of my chair or anything (when I got that score)," he said.

Record stood for 20 years
Finally last week, the Redmond resident broke an 879,200-point record set last year by a New York man, which edged past one set nearly 20 years ago by Billy Mitchell, a Florida man generally consider the Don of the Arcade Game. Mitchell's mark was 874,300.

Wiebe scored 947,200 points in the 22 levels of the game. He sent a videotape documenting his feat to Twin Galaxies, the definitive scorekeeping organization for gamers.

The record was big enough news to video-game enthusiasts that they crashed the organization's Web site, said Robert Mruczek, chief referee at Twin Galaxies.

"If you beat a gamer with the caliber of Billy Mitchell, that's a feather in your cap," he said. "They're the cream of the crop when it comes to video gaming."

Hooked on Kong
Despite all the points, Donkey Kong is not a game players can win. It ends with what's known as a kill screen, a final level that's impossible to beat. Even if a character could run headlong through the course with no obstacles, it never could make it in the time allotted.

Wiebe has been hooked on the game since college.

Mitchell, 37, says he only counts his scores if they're played in a public venue, and he won't say if he can beat his cross-country competitor. He'll only say that he's planning something big and unprecedented in response to Wiebe's win.

Nintendo smiles
The competition is just fine by Nintendo, which created Donkey Kong.

"We always smile when we hear about these kinds of things," company spokeswoman Perrin Kaplan said. "Donkey Kong means 'stubborn monkey' (in one rough translation from Japanese), and the fact that (Wiebe) was able to achieve this many points against a stubborn monkey says something."

Wiebe said he'll keep striving for the million-point mark, then retire.

The former Boeing engineer and computer-software tester plans to head back to school to become a high-school math and science teacher.

O

old.Tohtori

and the fact that (Wiebe) was able to achieve this many points against a stubborn monkey says something."

:chortle:

W

Wij

That's cool. Didn't somebody get the PERFECT pacman score the other year ?

T

The_Sheriff

Originally posted by Omniscieous
Pretty sad really.
Not really.. I mean...some of us play DAOC solidly.
He only played DK "A few times a week".

Good for him.

J

Jonaldo

Originally posted by The_Sheriff
Not really.. I mean...some of us play DAOC solidly.
He only played DK "A few times a week".

Good for him.

ye right :p that means like 4 hours a day for 10 years he played a game that's god knows how many years old.
Maybe he should get a new computer, with maybe even some new games :D

S

Serbitar

donkey kong is probably the 4th best game in the world...

Rankings:

4 - Donkey Kong
3 - PacMan (the original none of this mrs pacman crap)
2 - Arkanoid (OMFG what a game)
1 - The ultimate of all games - Pong

J

Jonaldo

Originally posted by Serbitar
donkey kong is probably the 4th best game in the world...

Rankings:

4 - Donkey Kong
3 - PacMan (the original none of this mrs pacman crap)
2 - Arkanoid (OMFG what a game)
1 - The ultimate of all games - Pong

Arkanoid :mad: terrible rip-off of the great Breakout :eek: or even the fantastic sequel.. SUPER Breakout!!

O

old.tRoG

These games are so great, there's been about 300 copies of them, with different names.

Fool.

J

Jonaldo

Originally posted by old.tRoG
Fool.
Stop trying to be B.A. Barracus.
He says FOO! not Fool anyway :p

**now listening to - Billy Joel - For the longest time - 3:38 :eek7:
do wop

W

Wij

Originally posted by Omniscieous
Arkanoid :mad: terrible rip-off of the great Breakout :eek: or even the fantastic sequel.. SUPER Breakout!!

I completed Arkanoid II on my first ever game.

Go me \o/

J

Jonaldo

I ain't gettin on no plane foo! zzzZZzz

** Now listening to - Living Color - Love rears its ugly head - 6:13

M

Munkey-

I still have Donkey Kong on tape for the BBC somewhere.

Uber game

K

kinag

Of course, Munkey saw a Monkey thread and just couldn't stay away :rolleyes:

K

kinag

They are both hairy, they both climb in trees, they both eat banannas...

Really doesn't matter :p

O

old.tRoG

Munkey was pwned by a n00b! Munkey was pwned by a n00b!

:cool:

H

Hargh

Trog your PS avatar has a large unsightly birthmark on his face. ewww.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom