Does race realy matter?

Jerbear

Fledgling Freddie
hey guys in WoW does the race of your char. acualy make much of a diffrence? like would a stronger race be better for a warrior than a little gnome or maybe a human be better for a rogue than a gnome or what. cuase i have heard people say that race dont matter just what ever u think makes your char look cool is what u should go with. is there any truth to that? any info on this subject would help me greatly! thanx :touch:

Foadon

Fledgling Freddie
racial traits are the only real difference u get, the stat difference is minimal at endlvl

Aada

Part of the furniture
In other words races don't mean anything.. just pic which ever looks great for you and you don't have to worry about being a gimp :)

Pestilence

Fledgling Freddie
race does mean something other then different shape and texture.

all depend on how u want to play your character.

for example nightelf makes an ideal rogue with increased dodging.

An undead can make itself immune to fear, sleep and charm.

+ the stacking resists can make choice of race quite important in the end.

Wont make the whole difference, but planning how you want to play will be the deciding factor when it comes to pick of race.

I plan for PvP for example so if i want to make a mage i would go undead.
just to get some kind of defence against some crowdcontrol forms.

sko

Loyal Freddie
No, race does not matter much at all. Only the traits, which still dont matter that much.

Wyleia

Fledgling Freddie
if you plan to play pvp, racial traits can make a nice difference. Undead get that will of the forsaken. If you play a priest on alliance, make it a dwarf so you can get the fear immune buff for your group. Escape artist with gnome is a bit zzzz , but i like being as small as possible, so im a bit harder to spot/target than a human as a mage. Whats easier to click on? A tauren or a gnome.. Elfs get shadow meld which can help you be a bit sneakier if you solo without a stealth class.

If you plan to play a normal server, these things wouldnt matter so much to you. I think priests are the only ones to get racial abilities (?) and the dwarf on alliance is by far the best, no idea what horde priests get cuz i dont play there. So make sure to check out starting racial abilities and class specific racial abilities :)

Ethiraseth

Fledgling Freddie
Wyleia said:
if you plan to play pvp, racial traits can make a nice difference. Undead get that will of the forsaken. If you play a priest on alliance, make it a dwarf so you can get the fear immune buff for your group. Escape artist with gnome is a bit zzzz , but i like being as small as possible, so im a bit harder to spot/target than a human as a mage. Whats easier to click on? A tauren or a gnome.. Elfs get shadow meld which can help you be a bit sneakier if you solo without a stealth class.

If you plan to play a normal server, these things wouldnt matter so much to you. I think priests are the only ones to get racial abilities (?) and the dwarf on alliance is by far the best, no idea what horde priests get cuz i dont play there. So make sure to check out starting racial abilities and class specific racial abilities :)
You get racial abilities with all races on a pve server, not just with priests. :p

Aada

Part of the furniture
But pve servers suck..... you might aswell join a pvp server because there aint alot of difference lol.

Wyleia

Fledgling Freddie
Ethiraseth said:
You get racial abilities with all races on a pve server, not just with priests. :p

Priests get class + race abilities.
All races get basic racial abilities but priests can buy SPECIFIC spells only if they are the right race to buy this spell..
Dwarf Priests get the fear immune group buff
Human and Elf priests DO NOT get to buy this spell....

Race Specific Spells
There are some spells available only to certain races by completing quests:

Desperate Prayer (Level 10). (Dwarf/Human only.)
Starshards (Level 10). (Night Elf only.)
Touch of Weakness (Level 10). (Undead only.)
Hex of Weakness (Level 10). (Troll only.)
Fear Ward (Level 20). (Dwarf only.)
Feedback (Level 20). (Human only.)
Elune's Grace (Level 20). (Night Elf only.)
Devouring Plague (Level 20). (Undead only.)
Shadowguard (Level 20). (Troll only.)

So there is a reason to pick one race over another if you plan to play a priest cuz you get different spells depending on your race choice.

Wyleia

Fledgling Freddie
that list is for all servers not just pvp, but tbh fear immune buff is > than the other abilities if you plan to pvp a lot, so go dwarf! :)

SilverHood

FH is my second home
Nonsense, the undead racial spell is just as good, a Damge over Time spell which heals you, it stacks with your normal DoT (Shadow word pain), and as undead you get 10% resistance to shadow, as well as Will of the Forsaken, which breaks a fear, charm, or sleep for 20 seconds, as a racial ability.

Sadly, there is little incentive to play a Troll priest, because, well, uhm, their racials are awful, and their specific class spells are a waste of mana.

Personally, I'd like Desperate Prayer rather than Touch of Weakness... at rank 3, Touch reduces damage dealt from a mob by something like 10. 10 damage, heh... most mobs my level hit me for 100-150, 10 more or less will make zero difference, especially as my shield absorbs 400+ damage anyway, and I can recast it every 15 seconds.

On whether race matters - there's minimal difference at the moment, however, base statistics aren't factored in when calculating HP, so a race with a really low starting stamina will be able to have more +stamina gear until they hit the cap, than a race with high starting stamina. This means that potentially, a gnome warrior can have more hp at 60 than a dwarf warrior, however, seeing as Blizzard are awful at releasing patch notes, I can't see if it was fixed in the last few patches, but I don't think it was.

Khale

Fledgling Freddie
It's not a group fear immune buff. It's a charge to counter 1 fear attack and then the charge is gone (until priest casts again). It has a 30 sec cooldown as well so can't chain it or do it fast in combat. And it lasts 10 minutes top. (I hate 10 min buffs cause time passes so fast in WoW :D)

And another thing who said there were any stat caps?

Tallen

Fledgling Freddie
Aada said:
But pve servers suck..... you might aswell join a pvp server because there aint alot of difference lol.

Except that PvP servers have way more fuckwits than normal servers.

Elvo^Rylu

Fledgling Freddie
Aada said:

Say that again when 10 enemies that are 20 lvls above you, are camping the town your exp'ing in for a few hours.

Or just generally when lvl 60's run around lvl 2x areas and gank everyone.

Ziva

Fluffy
I wouldn't say a PVP server is fun when there is a raid going on, you die and they are camping both your body and the nearest graveyards around. Makes it kinda hard to release :D

Fedtalfen

Fledgling Freddie
Well I'm amazed to see, how many ppls don't give a damn about what race they are. It can be so important all along, since each racial ability is so unique. An undead will be powerfull in almost all they choose, since they got will of the forsaken. It aint that important too all classes, but even warriors/rogues can with more duels by being an undead. As a Tauren your able to stun those that are around for 3 sec, which may not seem like much, but those 3 sec can be really important. Someone said that the troll racial suck, but how can it suck to deal more dmg faster? It still takes some time to be killed from 25% and you can easily use potions, so how can't it be nice? Orcs can get + 25% str which is very much at higher lvls, so yeah you lose 5% every 3sec, but you're doing insane dmg all of a sudden...Only know about Horde races, since it's what I've played and all that come from personal experience...

Ormorof

FH is my second home
i dont think race matters, didnt matter that much in DAoC either tbh (speaking from experience as a valkyn zerker :p )

its all about how you want to look tbh, as a mage id prefer to look small and unintimidating until BOOM i send a fireball on your ass :)

as a warrior though i would rather look big and nasty, so you wont even try to beat me up :(

Mehuge

One of Freddy's beloved
What about Gnome Rogue for Escape Artist or does that ability really suck? Number of times im taking damage cos im pinned down and i dont want to waste my vanish just yet im wondering if it would be useful.

Elf Rogue gives you +1% chance to dodge, not that much really (you dodoge 1 in a hundred attacks and save say 100hp maybe every 10 fights)

Whisperess

Can't get enough of FH
In my opinion, most races will be suitable in some way for a rogue.

Gnome? Escape Artist has its uses.
Dwarf? Treasure tracking and Stone form has its uses.
Human? Increased regen through Spirit bonus has its uses. Sword/Mace specialization has a potential use. (unless you're going daggers)
Night-elf? Increased chance to dodge / Shadowmeld has its uses, Wisp form is convenient at times ;)

I'm sure there are similar ways to view the Horde races.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom