Does ne1 know of a Q3 to Q1 map converter?

O

old.Mr Niceguy

Does ne1 know of a Q3 to Q1 map converter?
I really need 1 and would greatly appreciate it if ne 1 knows if 1 exists!

Cheers m8 's

Niceguy

O

old.Necro

Ir should be possible to load Q3 .map files into some Q1 level editors (i'm certain Quest can), but it will have to be retextures and have all entities redone.

Q3 .bsp files cannot be converted.

O

old.Mr Niceguy

ah....i cant find ne!

does ne1 no where i can get Q3 .map
files (not .bsps) ?

im having loadsa trouble !

help me guys!
:(

O

old.Necro

People generally don't release the source .map files for their maps.

If your trying to convert one of the Q3DMx levels to QW, your best bet is building a replica level from scratch.

O

old.Requ!em

You can convert the Quake3 maps to .map files using BSPC supplied with the Editing Tools. Extract the map's .bsp file from the pk3 file using Winzip and then use the -undocumented bsp2map option to convert to a .map, Example:

bspc -bsp2map q3dm1.bsp

[This message has been edited by Requ!em (edited 30 July 2000).]

O

old.Necro

Does it export all the data needed by a level editor (ready for recompiling) though, or just the ent data..?

O

old.Requ!em

Necro, all data needed for editing. You can edit the full map in any map editor that loads Quake3 .map files.

O

old.Necro

Might have a look sometime. In the past, bsp2map programs have either only been entity data rippers, or the resulting .map file been laden with problems.

O

old.Kez

bspc is wank for ripping a level to bits with the intention of modifying it for the same game (because bspc fucks up ents fairly well) but if its only the base map and will be used for different game (and therefore different ents) it's adequate.

O

old.Necro

I have the feeling that Carmack may've changed the .bsp format to something that would allow easier decompiling. With Q1, brush faces would undergo all sorts of splitting and clipping, making them very difficult to convert back to a leakproof .map representation that was usable.

If the bsp2map feature actually works well, then there might still need to be a bit (or more likeley, lots) of editing since Q1 doesn't support curved surfaces (Q1 level compilers also tended to be easier to upset).

O

old.Requ!em

BSPC was produced by Mr.Elusive at id software and was released in the official Quake3 tools. It's normally used to create an AAS navigation file for the bots so it might at least produce better .map files than a thirdparty converter.

Mr Niceguy, if its any help some Quake3 maps have already been converted to Quake1.

Quake1 - Q3DM13
http://members.home.net/jjm72/q1maps/shots/Q1_Q3DM13.html

More conversions can be found at the site - http://members.home.net/jjm72/q1maps/quake.html

[This message has been edited by Requ!em (edited 01 August 2000).]

O

old.Necro

The only question is how usable the output is then. Thiking about it, it shopuld be reasonably good at reverse-calculating where brush faces were. The only question is how good it is at adding the clipped-away parts into something usable.

I REALLY should try it myself.. :)

O

old.Kez

On another note, anyone know if Q1DM1~6 have been converted for Q3 ( I know Dm4 has, but couldn't find the others) ?

I want dm3! :D

O

old.Necro

I've got the .map source for qtest1 (dm1) somewhere, though i generally only make CtF levels myself (and qtest1 probably isn't the most popular of levels)..

Sure i've seen a dm3 remake somewhere, but not sure when i saw it..

O

old.Kez

yus, DM1 was a bit wank in reality (I wasn't too fond of DM2 either really, but its nice to have the set ;))

if ya do remember where you saw dm3, plz tell :D

O

old.Mr Niceguy

wow thanks a lot m8

im sure thats gonna really help
cant wait 2 get q3dm7 converted!
downloading all the converted levels
at the mo!

cheers
niceguy

:)

O