does daoc support multiple cores?

liloe

It's my birthday today!
DAoC itself doesn't support Multicore or 64bit. For dual logging, you can assign one CPU to each thread, yes. They once said that in an interview and stated, that there were no plans of adding such things.

The thread is called game.dll (you can start the game.dll and bypass the patch server like this, saves you some time - at least that used to work)

Bahumat

FH is my second home
So can i goto my daoc catacombs shortcut and then edit the link

"c:\windows\system32\cmd.exe /C start /affinity 1 camelot.exe"

I am not 100% sure on your reply :(

aika

Can't get enough of FH
with 2 gb of ram dual-loging is same like running one client. (at least on my pc)

Imgormiel

Part of the furniture
I got 4GB of ram xD

Comp is working now, not had a chance to test out card yet tho ;p:kissit:

Himse

FH is my second home
Personally i have 64 bit windows, i can dual log without no lag.

But sometimes the game just tells me i've gone linkdead, even though i've had no lag or anything.

I think its the os, don't think it could be my pc, (4.8ghz 4 gb ram 2x512gfx)

hopefully not anyway :D

- English -

Resident Freddy
Personally i have 64 bit windows, i can dual log without no lag.

But sometimes the game just tells me i've gone linkdead, even though i've had no lag or anything.

I think its the os, don't think it could be my pc, (4.8ghz 4 gb ram 2x512gfx)

hopefully not anyway :D

doubt its your 64bit windows, i mean isnt 64bit just you can have like 90030303045553535 numbers

Cromcruaich

Can't get enough of FH
doubt its your 64bit windows, i mean isnt 64bit just you can have like 90030303045553535 numbers

Dunno, i did a small amount of digging around about games and 64bit (as soon to purchase nother pc and will want to go 4gb ram route) and seems that quite a few people have problems with various games on the platform, even though in theory you should as its emulating a 32 bit environment to run them. As usual though really hard to be sure if these peeps are just having problems that they would be having on a 32bit OS anyway.

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
Yea you can also set core affinity by hitting ctrl/alt/del when you startup daoc then rightclick on game.dll and goto set affinity.

currently still running my amd 6000+ dual core (clocks at 3.01ghz none oc'd) 2048 pc6400 ram having no issues dual logging pretty much any game out atm :) I was going to splash out on a Quad Core but i'll wait until the new intel chips come out before I buy anything.

Bahumat

FH is my second home
Yeah Himse mine's similar. I can dual log fine Q6600, 2gb ram and x1950pro but I do get LD's on the buff bot. Kinda made me quit toa and go back to classic.
I'm on 32 bit vista.

I tried the affinity idea and it does make things run even smoother which is good to know for the future.

Himse

FH is my second home
Yeah Himse mine's similar. I can dual log fine Q6600, 2gb ram and x1950pro but I do get LD's on the buff bot. Kinda made me quit toa and go back to classic.
I'm on 32 bit vista.

I tried the affinity idea and it does make things run even smoother which is good to know for the future.

Mine doesn't really go LD though, it gives me the linkdead message but there is no lag it just crashes out, i don't really play anymore anyway so not an issue, somedays it would be fine for hours, others it would crash every hour or something :|

My internet is fine though, its the computer.

Olvoair

Fledgling Freddie
I used to have ld issues on my AMD 4400 until I downloaded a patch from AMD syncing the 2 cores. Otherwise I had some random hard resets (entire pc just died on me... and reset :)).

With patch in, only ld´s I have had has been when d/l & u/l close to or at cap speed on torrents. Dont think I blame the poor beast then though (10 mb up&down + a few ie pages, mp3, firewall/av & daoc).

SoulFly

Can't get enough of FH
I have 64 bit vista and 2 gigs of ram.

My 1024*768 windowed LOTM uses 1.1 gigs of ram. Go figure..

old.Whoodoo

Can't get enough of FH
Quad 6600 (2.4Ghz) 4GB ram and SLi 2 x GF8800GTS here, Vistas (64bit ultimate) using 800Mb on its own without apps running, running 2 x DAoC isnt a problem, its soooo nice being able to run a BB on stick and it dont loose stick or LD at all.

Imgormiel

Part of the furniture
Quad 6600 (2.4Ghz) 4GB ram and SLi 2 x GF8800GTS here, Vistas (64bit ultimate) using 800Mb on its own without apps running, running 2 x DAoC isnt a problem, its soooo nice being able to run a BB on stick and it dont loose stick or LD at all.

I have AMD 9600 quad and the rest peeps know about from an earlier thread. I have real nice running of daoc with lab client x2. I still get LD's on the buffbot but that in my has something more to do with DAoC than the actual computer or the connection.

Occasionally the linkdead is caused by antivirus scans which as we all know eat up on ram - although why it should really pisses me off. AV's are just normal programs yet eat up on the resources.

Bad programming imo causes that, and I hope in the future things get better on this front as it's always been this way in the past.

Helme

Resident Freddy
Antivirus scans more stress the harddrive than anything else, and as we all know in todays PC's HDD's are the biggest weaklink.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom