Does anyone seriously believe that their realm is 'more skilled' than any other realm

P

Pandemic

u got several thousand players all of differing skill levels. the odds that the majority of the skilled players all choose the same realm without knowing anything about the game must be less likely than me winning the national lottery.

yet all we get our complaints that an 'x' grp would only lose to an 'y' grp because they fucked up as 'x' has uber classes and such crap.

u lost because of random chance and / or u simply are not as good as u think u are not because the classes are imbalanced.

long live the Naked Troll Fighting League

A

Arnor

hib&mid got about the same % of skilled ppl and noobs.
I aint touching le cabballerros albion with a red hot poker.

N

nalistah

Anyone thinking that daoc includes much 'skill', apperently doesnt know what skill in a onlinegame is.

edit: if u think using backup-styles and so on = skill .. :lol:

A

Arnor

Originally posted by nalistah
Anyone thinking that daoc includes much 'skill', apperently doesnt know what skill in a onlinegame is.

edit: if u think using backup-styles and so on = skill .. :lol:

so, the reason we can gangrape alb "fotm" setup fgs like a grizzly in heat on you, while having trouble with for instance bf(same setup), magic is it?

The reason AD was _alot_ better then similarily set up groups, at low rr, coincidence?

or pre relics, the reason we could annihilate mid fotm groups but got raped by jh is what, luck?

define skill, and define much, (and whoever said much skill in daoc) then we can talk, until then your statement is just random shit.

Y

-yoda-

i personally dont think its skill. just knowledge :) if you know what to do and when that makes a person good in daoc not skill.

mashing buttons on a screen aint skill :) plain n simple its down to knowledge.

N

nalistah

Not that I care 1sec what you think Arnor, as your only purpose in life is to flame on BW, but if you think "skill" is picking the right target etc, sure.. but thats more like common sense to me.

So much more things involved here, like higher rr, tools (RA's etc), items, classes, relics etc.

A

Arnor

Originally posted by nalistah
Not that I care 1sec what you think Arnor, as your only purpose in life is to flame on BW, but if you think "skill" is picking the right target etc, sure.. but thats more like common sense to me.

So much more things involved here, like higher rr, tools (RA's etc), items, classes, relics etc.

how then can a good group, reroll on another server and rule pretty hard?

how is that even remotely possible?

and what do you count as computer-games-skill? hand-eye coordination like in fps'es?

A

Asha

it feels like in the beginning mid attracked alot of the power players who knew from USA what was what - not just NP.

now alot of ppl have quit, changed realm, etc...
feels now like the skill is even in all realms but there is ALOT more albs who ummm yeah... I don't wanna say it.

E

Event

skill is such a vague term tbh.

1. reaction times
2. hand/eye
3. qb familiarity
4. knowledge of enemy
5. knowledge of your own realm
6. knowledge of your own class
7. using terrain
8. luck

some of the things that may contribute to skill

Alb has higher population - can be assumed has higher number of unskilled/skilled players in similar ratio to hib/mid (maybe ;))

V

VodkaFairy

What does it matter anyway. DAoC is as much fun as you make it for yourself. If you enjoy what you are doing, without bothering many other people, who the fuck cares if you're skilled or not.

I'm getting pretty tired of this "skill or not" in daoc. Fact is, it's not 100% luck, equipment/rps/experience does matter. But even a "clueless warder noob in epic" can have fun in daoc. If they don't , then they should do something about it. Like, get better gear, learn how to play more effectively, whatever.

If you can achieve your goals in daoc and have fun doing so, you're skilled. If you constantly whine and are annoyed/frustrated constantly, you aren't skilled.

Personally I don't like the imbalance and zerging, but as long as I can still often do what I like best I don't really mind. Sure it's frustrating at some points, but then I just log off and do something else.

:E

V

Vodor

Alot of its class, a hand full of luck and about a hand full of skill aswell

Poon

B

belth

Originally posted by VodkaFairy
If you constantly whine and are annoyed/frustrated constantly, you aren't skilled.

Oh that's a nice one ;)

P

Pandemic

skill = one thing the same as it does in real life. practice. if u put hours every day for 2 years into a game u will be skilled at it. no one who plays DAOC is 'naturally' better at it than anyone else.

whereas a casual player like myself cant put in enough hours to become skilled :(

P

PJS

takes skill to keep all the power relics for most of the lifetime of the game with the lowest population :p

R

rg-zorena

Skill in daoc is what bitteliten did to the sorc in the dh movie that came from mmg in the zerg fight target out sorc before he even started casting and interrupted him before casting (ok so ae asd and usage of asd was op but anyhow he did the job that he required of him) so recognizing the char he found as the biggest threat choosing the right tool to interrupt with is skill in my eyes he could have done nothing.

And as little skill there is playing tank is still important in the end do you remove yourself from assist train, to go interrupt the free healer cleric or stick with the assist train its all about feeling in the game after playing endless of hours you know what to do back in your head without even thinking after awhile.

Skill is also picking the right classes for the job if you wanna kill dh your setup should be differnet from meeting an alb tank group.

D

Divinia

no, but my guild is the only one who can play good in teh wurld!

N

nightsorrow

Originally posted by -yoda-
i personally dont think its skill. just knowledge :) if you know what to do and when that makes a person good in daoc not skill.

the above was ment to a savage topic

V

vintervargen

Originally posted by Pandemic
u got several thousand players all of differing skill levels. the odds that the majority of the skilled players all choose the same realm without knowing anything about the game must be less likely than me winning the national lottery.

yet all we get our complaints that an 'x' grp would only lose to an 'y' grp because they fucked up as 'x' has uber classes and such crap.

u lost because of random chance and / or u simply are not as good as u think u are not because the classes are imbalanced.

long live the Naked Troll Fighting League

how can you get to rr8 without realising savages/shamans are overpowered you tard?

O

old.Icebreaker

Give Patch

Then we can see who is good and who not!

A

Aloca

The "skill" % i think might be higher in hib and mid due to the fact that the ones choosing alb just to be a knight in shiny armor.

but if you remove those i think its quite the same.

E

enli

idd ignoring the kiddieswannabeknighties-zerglings it's prolly about the same :)

M

multiples

Originally posted by -yoda-

Knowledge=skill=knowledge..

E

excs

They do ... just had a hard time finding them on Albion

W

Wot-do

Of c its skills involted.

Or is it just luck :p? Then explain to me why some groups/ppl win alot more then other. Why are some ppl more wanted in grps then other? No im not talking bout realmranks there.

A

Acun

Originally posted by Event
skill is such a vague term tbh.

1. reaction times
2. hand/eye
3. qb familiarity
4. knowledge of enemy
5. knowledge of your own realm
6. knowledge of your own class
7. using terrain
8. luck

some of the things that may contribute to skill

Alb has higher population - can be assumed has higher number of unskilled/skilled players in similar ratio to hib/mid (maybe ;))

well spoken...

S

Sichama

DAoC doesn't need alot of skill, at least not in the hand-eye coordination sense.

And about choosing the right enemy and the right tools for a given situation this only requires the skill of learning and adjusting, plus the virtue of patiense, to try diferent things again and again untill you succeed. But in the end it is just natural that the most often you repeat something the better you become at it.

In the end though it is a more of a matter of defining what you mean with the word skill, it can take so many different meanings which makes any debating on the subject worthless unless you exactly specify what you mean by using it.

Users who are viewing this thread