Does anyone here play Magic the gather online beta?

O

old.Rawkeer

I used to play Magic: The Gathering a long time ago.. Quit though, not gone back since.. Got too expensive for me :)

E

Eblessair

url for the beta?
had the offline game, pretty much sucked tho :)

O

old.Andromalius

I quit Magic at the time they banned Tolarian academy. I still play it from time to time with friends but hooked off DCI tournaments. I'm nt going to trade SWG for Magic Online lol.

O

old.tRoG

hmm... i think i remember gatting som magic: the gathering trading cards free with a magazine or something ages ago...

other than that i didnt even know this game existed :)

F

Flimgoblin

Magic lost its fun when they banned 40-card decks with mox ruby, black lotus, dragons, giants and nothing else but lightning bolts...

And they took objection to the sinkhole deck... no fun ;)

Oh spose they were Cookie Cutters that made it pointless to play anything else... killed variety... they swapped them for the 'heal yourself stupid' decks though :( bore your opponent to death ...

Jyhad (or V:TES as it got renamed) was a far more tactical/strategic game - great fun.

O

old.Xarr

i played beta for a while some time back. it was pretty cool.. don't play it anymore tho :)

basically it's magic: the gathering 100% virtual. you 'buy' boosters and starters, open'em up and put the cards in your virtual collection-thingy. then you can construct decks and play others for points and ph4t l3wtz.. no wait, that was daoc. erm mixing shit up again ^^

I

infozwerg

bah, that sucks.

if you cant get to real pro tours in real american cities, whats the point?

maybe some day ill start the real game again, as iv never been to pro tour la, but i cant bring myself to go into qualification grinders again for some reason. :m00:

E

Eblessair

hmm
i wonder if the deck i used is mostly banned now :|

V

Vell

Originally posted by Eblessair
hmm
i wonder if the deck i used is mostly banned now :|

Oh probably. Considering the most played format is now 'only cards from the last few expansions, and the basic set aer allowed, everything else is banned', in order to win anything, you have to constantly buy more and more cards, to keep it all up to date.

In some ways it's good - every few months the tournament scene changes completely, and it's much harder to anticipate what your opponent will be playing. But it also means the players who can't afford to spend hundreds of pounds loose out - you can't trade your old cards anymore because no one wants them. Only new stuff is worth having.

I quit playing a couple of years ago. Still sometimes get my green stompy deck out, or my samite healer deck, and have a laugh with a few friends, but to play it competitively is a no-go for me nowadays.

O

old.Solomon Kane

I play for real but no way am I going to pay full price for virtual cards. It's a big enough rip off as it is.

Green Stompy is fun but I've allways favoured 5 colour Domain decks.
I love players who claim Domain decks don't work... they are such good fun to torture to death :)

O

old.Woodmansee

Most people I spoke to our gonna buy a premade theme deck or someting and play for freeeeeeee yippieee

Alot of other people say they will buy one pack a month and make decks with commons :)

Its cool you dont have to pay every month even thou buying vit cards is a ripoff :)

O

old.Woodmansee

Its funny thou goa cant patch and magic online has patched no less than 1-10 times a day in beta.. LOL

O

old.Aird Fitzdeagle

Hmm... Tragic: the Bothering Online?
...*sighs and revels in memories*...

Well, just thinking about the LoTR TCG I used to play about 8 yrs- ago... spent loads and loads of money on it... loved it... checked Inquest on a regular base, was surprised by just how much money some people would pay just to get one of my 1st Ed. Ring ghosts etc. ... then (forgot who produced the LoTR game then... Iron Crown?) the producer went down the crapper and the prices for cards with it...
Then I started playing M:TG... and again spent crudloads on cards (3 fat folders anyone?).

Denis Leary would say something like:
PEOPLE PAYING MONEY FOR VIRTUAL CARDS!!?? WHAT THE F**K!!? LOL ;)

Aird Fitzdeagle, adorable Lurikeen Enchanter (on vacation)
Griffnir Beorneven, butt ugly Kobold (gawd, playing a hunter is FUN:))

"Gawd... I hate summer..
If there was a nuclear winter...
I'd spend the day playing in the snow..."

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom