Do you consider yourself a NERD?

Sigurd

Banned
Or do you think of yourself as a sociable, "normal" person who leads an average life outside the world of MMORPGs? Many friends? Good with the ladies/men? Happy in a nightclub, or do you spend the evening picturing yourself killing dragons? Worse still, do you actually go on a murderous rampage in a nightclub believing you are killing dragons (or lurikeens/kobolds/inconnu) and finally... would you rather have a level 50 RR10 class of your choice with buffbot, ML10 and all the useful artifacts... or a girlfriend/boyfriend/sheep to spend the rest of your life with (well, the next few years)

And if you're wondering why I'm asking... erm... look, here's a rabbit!
rabbit.jpg

chipper

Can't get enough of FH
i love gaming and i especially love mmporgs but its never stopped me from leading a good social life im not especially good with the ladies im way too shy in real life for starters but i do have alot of friends and we go out regulalry so no i dont consider myself a nerd at all maybe a lil geeky but thats as far as id go :)

oh yeah if i had a girlfriend and i knew we would be happy for the rest of our lifes id lob my pc out the window right now :) real life>cyber life

eggy

Fledgling Freddie
I've played DAOC at varying stages of activity since its release, but I've never let it get in the way of my social life.

I stumbled across the game one night (literally) while drunk with a mate (Mike). We were walking pissed to a local nightclub, when we noticed a new gaming centre that had opened. Saw a message about CS trials, and as we both played in pro CS clans at the time we went in. Got in, started playing CS matches for them and playing for free. Someone bought camelot on its release, and slowly but surely camelot fever spread around the shop. At the beginning, camelot itself was social. Met a lot of people playing in the shop, most utter geeks of course, but some that are great friends now. Used to play a bit, go out on the lash and club it up, often waking up on the floor under your account logon screen (lol).

I've always put real life before the game, I've constantly been involved with women the last 3 years (arghhh). I've never let camelot get in the way of relationships and real life events. I enjoy the game for the social reasons far an away above anything. Chatting to guildies and mates online is the only real reason I play it. I go out pubbing and clubbing regularly, and the game has absolutely zero to do with my real life. None of my friends play it, and frankly I find talking about it an absolute bore to "real" people, so I don't.

To be perfectly honest I have no idea how I managed to fit in girlfriends, friends, going out, drinking, partying, studying and still have 8 level 50s on one account. Probably because I don't sleep much.

Oh well! I don't consider myself a "nerd" at all. Camelot is a hobby (I hate other computer games, so dull)...but real life >>>>>>>>>>>>

Sissyfoo

Fledgling Freddie
Dunno...a few months ago I would have said 'yes' but now I tend to spread my time between work, food and sleep so...I guess I ain't a nerd no more! Woo!

Well...I say 'woo' but my current life is only marginally better than that of a fully fledged nerd. :p

Like, [---] that much!

Probably less!

~counts down the minutes until he can escape~

...sigh...

tRoG

Fledgling Freddie
I use the computer the same amount of time as a 'normal' person watches tv, so, in the eyes of teh publax!1, yes, I am a nerd.

Though I wouldn't admit to it :p

Vorna

Fledgling Freddie
tbh u know ur a nerd when u meet a new person in rl and look for their name above their head

Conchabar

Fledgling Freddie
some might consider me to be a nerd although i would completely disagree with them.. yes i play games so what (instead of watching tv).. yes i know alot about computers so what.. i spend quite abit of my time either chilling out with my homez smoking, drinking or skateing... never had a girlfriend dont want one yet as it would mess up my equilibrium.. i never talk about games with my friends and i would say daoc has messed up my social life to an extent as i would oftenly put the game before more important things such as my academic life and the worst drug i have ever tried =)

Ethiraseth

Fledgling Freddie
hmm, let's see

- i like games/mmorpg's
- i like sci-fi/fantasy
- spent too much time in front of my pc
- prefer to wear geekie shirts

Things that proof i'm not a nerd

- i got a girlfriend :eek6: :sex:
- I prefer going out to clubs/concerts above playing computer games
- I got friends :eek7:

Guess i'm not a real nerd. :(

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
People who have social lifes are nerds.

Spot on observation.

I have (had) an active social life before DAOC, but it has seriously dug into my RL, have many times not bothered too meet mates out on pissup, cos in good grp/bg raid etc.

Doesn't bother me at all, this is what I am.

Though turning down the call from an ex girlfiend who was very pissed at 2am and was offering some serious oral stimulation, because I was at 49.9 at the Finns was a bit worrying.

Gengi

Fledgling Freddie
Job said:
Spot on observation.

Though turning down the call from an ex girlfiend who was very pissed at 2am and was offering some serious oral stimulation, because I was at 49.9 at the Finns was a bit worrying.

Ok enough is enough, I can take missing a few pints on a night out, I can almost understand missing the odd movie/concert/theater trip, but this is beyond redemption.

Job :touch: , you should have just gone AFK. :D I am sure the Gratz on your return would have been far more wholehearted, when you explained what had happened, than on just dinging 50 :D

Later

Cyfr

Banned
Conchabar said:
sum 1 needs to get out more :eek6:
Really? Why? Who says?

Society moves on, people spend more and more time on their pc's.
I'm being extreamly social by talking to people over the internet, I don't need to meet them face to face to have fun..

I believe a lot of society is moving this way as the PC intergrates into a VERY high number of homes. Society moved on from cavemen with clubs into what it is now, so no reason it can't continue to move.

Lumikki

Fledgling Freddie
Cyfr said:
I'm being extreamly social by talking to people over the internet, I don't need to meet them face to face to have fun..

I can't resist it but.. lol.

Cyfr

Banned
Please post constructive stuff in this discussion thread instead of 'lols' which provide no content what so ever, if you find what I said funny you may want to explain how you have a different opinion on the matter.

Morchaoron

Fledgling Freddie
people never associate me with them, and i never show any signs of something that makes me look like one, so i guess not...

mts

Fledgling Freddie
"Do you consider yourself a NERD?"

well, yeah... =)

EDIT: and at the rate all this computer/console stuff is going we'll all be nerds in no-time.

Boni

Fledgling Freddie
Depends how you define nerd I guess.

Ive always been a fairly outgoing person, I used to go clubbing several times a week, goto parties, drink beer take drugs and womanise, I have no fear of not 'fitting in' or being pointed out as a nerd from affar.

But then I do know an INCREDIBLE amount of worthless sci-fi/fantasy/science/techie stuff, I scored highest on whos the biggest nerd post :). So I guess im guilty as charged!

Conchabar

Fledgling Freddie
mts said:
"Do you consider yourself a NERD?"

well, yeah... =)

EDIT: and at the rate all this computer/console stuff is going we'll all be nerds in no-time.
ppl that only play consoles r not nerds apparently :m00:

Lumikki

Fledgling Freddie
Cyfr said:
Please post constructive stuff in this discussion thread instead of 'lols' which provide no content what so ever, if you find what I said funny you may want to explain how you have a different opinion on the matter.

I'm not judging you or anything, I just found that comment a bit funny that's all :) Talking to people on the net and talking to them face to face is just 2 worlds apart, atleast for me

:)

yaruar

Can't get enough of FH
Job said:

You need a desk with space underneath it for those very occasions ;)

Ezteq

Queen of OT
Ooooh im a total nerd tbh and i wouldnt want to be anything else, when i was a kid i used to go out clubbing etc (yeah great fun go out get pissed have some old bloke try and grope me then walk through broken glass and sick to try and leave the club <cough> woo hoo) but grew tired of the same superficial people who wont talk to you unless your a 6ft blonde with jubblies the size of beach balls who giggles inanely at everything (calm down boys).

where as in game and on net in general its great because it doesnt matter what you look like, how old you are or how crappy your dress sense is, no one cares and i've met so many lovely folk since i started playing that tbh nerds win hands down against those vapid, vacuous nob heads you see in night clubs, try having a discussion in a club the person your chatting to cant hear a word you say so just nods then slurrs "i blorry love you" then is sick in your ear, Mmmm great.

so on the nerd counter:
dress like a 12 year old boy: yep
know some really trivial stuff and am proud: yep
love sci-fi: yep
know most of the simpsons episodes word for word: <cough> yep
have "indevidual" taste in music: yep
still like dinosaurs, flying saucers and hang a sock out each christmas: yep
reads loads books or comics: yep

i think i qualify, and tbh i'd rather date a nerd than one of those muscle bound, empty headed twats that you see everywhere (you know the ones, think theyre in a boy band and always strut when they walk).

Smurflord

Fledgling Freddie
The Oxford English Dictionary defines a nerd as "Someone of above average intelligence with few social skills".

Yep, guilty as charged. I am a nerd.

Tsabo

Fledgling Freddie
I play camelot alot, but I also go out with m8s etc to clubs/pubs and so on.

Have never really been a ladies man as I'm pretty shy when it comes to things like that anyway.

But I see camelot as a social activity too as I tend to play it more in a LAN centre with a few good m8s of mine.

yaruar

Can't get enough of FH
Ezteq said:
i think i qualify, and tbh i'd rather date a nerd than one of those muscle bound, empty headed twats that you see everywhere (you know the ones, think theyre in a boy band and always strut when they walk).

That's unfair. What about us geeks who happen to be good at sport and are musclebound and fit....

I've always straddled a number of camps.. I was always a geek at school, best in school at maths (one of the best in the country too..) played chess at lunchtimes, loved computers and starwars, wrote plays in my spare time with fellow geeks and swapped the latest and greatest games for our BBC B's ;) etc, etc. Although at the same time i was also incredibly into sport, playing Basketball at a regional level from the age of 13, played hockey for a decent adult team too, played rugby and cricket too when i had the time. I used to train about 20 hours a week+ at one stage during my teens. Was captain of a number of sports teams. All of these continued, being both a total geek (working in IT, playing computer games, dressing "uniquely.." and having a somewhat eclectic taste in music) whilst at the same time going to the gym regularly, going to interesting and sometimes dubious clubs and gigs....

Tiztla

Fledgling Freddie
Yes i would trade all for a shee..urm a girlfriend, ehh who am i kidding bring on betsy :m00:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom