Do I need to upgrade?

fetwelvezz

Loyal Freddie
I have a p4 2.2 with 512 RAM and GeForce 4ti 4600 128 mb.
I run the lowest resolution with no TOA trees, no TOA terrain, no precache and classic water, I have line of sight put on FAR.

With theese settings I get a really really smooth gameplay, until I get to a keep, or on the pad. Actually, all sorts of buildings cause framedrops.

I was thinking of getting myself another 512 ram and precache everything, I just want to know is that a waste? Will it help any, or is another GFX card a better alternative?

I want to point out my comp runs perfectly, I run Win XP and I have all the latest drivers.

Logan5

Fledgling Freddie
If you add another 512mb of ram then your system will be same as mine.

I usually just have mid range selected but have the good trees and water on and precache on.

Works well in all but the most intense battles but i knock names and spell effects off when lots of folk about.

My Ti4600 just broke so I will be looking for a replacement, but it has worked in this config for nearly 2 years without problems.

I think the extra 512mb is a definate must as iirc ToA/SI can use upto 700mb at times. (think i saw that on this board somewhere)

Roteca

Can't get enough of FH
512mb ram aint a waste atleast, i had 512mb before, and 1024 now, and i dont regret it, also, is your hdd decently new ? switched disk some time ago (before toa thou) and it went smoother aswell.

Kalid

Fledgling Freddie
I started this in the exc/hib-section but it got stolen and is now at the exc/rvr :p

https://forums.freddyshouse.com/showthread.php?t=8280

This solution _MIGHT_ help you in some areas, Druim Ligen and housing for example. Some people reports it to almost make the alg go away whilest others notice no different. Can't tell you if it's going to work for you, you have to try it out yourself.

Other than that I'd buy another 512mb and perhaps a new gfx card as well (for the people with little left over cash, as myself, I'm looking into getting a 9800SE card, which some can be upgraded to 9800PRO-ish card :) ).

Kalid

Fledgling Freddie
Graknak said:
Last patch this got built in the game itself, so doing it now won't improve anything anymore, it should already be improved compared to pre-patch

Still works for me though, 1.68 brought improvement but the implementation wasn't 100% :)

Kalid

Fledgling Freddie
Moriath said:
Thought it was next patch 1.69

US 1.69 but it got implemented in 1.68 here (or at least so the patchntoes says).

gunner440

Hey Daddy Altman
the gfx card is fine

i think more memory is needed (depending on speed the amount of improvement will vary)

oh and like they said the speed of the harddrive is significant as well...

7200rpm or above really :x especially in daoc

fetwelvezz

Loyal Freddie
Yeah I got 7200 RPM on my 120gb HD, they dont make many 5400 rpemers anymore... well off for RAM I guess then.

plastic

One of Freddy's beloved
Yes, as people have mentioned here 512 more ram will be great. I'm currantly play daoc with 1024MB Ram (Samsung 400MHz) and I rarely lag (maybe if I dual log and record movies with fraps at the same time). I guess my 10.000rpm HD and fast processor helps a bit there too though.

Coolan

One of Freddy's beloved
not much use by now but im only running a athlon xp2100+ 512mb ram geforce 4ti4200 128mb toa runs perfectly 1024x768 everything set to hi, the only place i get problems is housing zone, maybe im just lucky but i would have to agree with everyone the ram is a definet must have. then look at ur graphics cards theres some nice geforce fx5700's that come pre overcloked to a 5900 with a lifetime waranty there pretty good for the job.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom