Help DJ'ing - Where To Start?

Darthshearer

Can't get enough of FH
Ive loved dance music ever since I remeber getting into music. I love Oakenfold, AvB, Tiesto, Van Dyk etc and I wouldnt mind having a bash it it myself.

Now I know a few on here do it, so come on, what you do? Obviosuly its easier now with MP3s and the like, so help meh :)

TIA

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
Two main options for MP3 DJing on a PC:

1. Virtual DJ.
2. Traktor.

They're pretty similar, VDJ is more user friendly but less powerful and nowhere near as good. Traktor is pretty easy to use, has a lot more going for it. Dunno about VDJ but if you wanna go serious (or even half decent amatuer) Traktor's the one to do, it's used by a lot of professionals (such as DMC winning hiphop/DnB DJ, DJ Craze). It can also handle external controls, which means you can get those PC based DJing things to allow the process to be more physical (e.g. adjusting pitch, speed, fading, effects etc. all from a traditional style mixer).

Alternatively get yourself a pair of Technics and learn the real way. :)

bob269

Fledgling Freddie
Bpm studio is pretty good for messing about with on your pc, however as pointed out you can't beat the hands on vinyl and a pair of 1210's ;)

Yaka

Part of the furniture
build a time machine and head for the 90s

as you can prolly tell by the crap joke i dont get out much these days

tris-

Failed Geordie and Parmothief
just remember that when the crowd say bo, you say selecta.

youll get to the top in no time.

PLightstar

Part of the furniture
Start with a program like Ableton Live or something to set up a 'set' with MP3's
Vinyl is still the way to go, get soem nice Technic decks, Amp, mixer, speakers and head to your local record shops and buy a few 12", its all about the rythem and beat match those up and then you can go onto stratching and poping in your own samples in the middle of mixes or tracks.

Lastly Practice, Practice, Practice.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Don't forget to shout "Oy Oy" every 2 minutes

bob269

Fledgling Freddie
Don't forget to shout "Oy Oy" every 2 minutes

Forget all the naive comments mixing up the mc with the DJ :p

I learnt to mix on a basic mixer and it was hard but rewarding, pretty much all the top guys use a decent EQ mixer and simply knock out the bass as they mix in, makes life simple and they get paid a fair wedge.

Obviously the key factor is choosing a good set list.

Kryten

Old Cow.
And dont forget what music is. You wont get anywhere piling into clubs with the same sets over ang again.
Weddings.
Karaoke.
Working mens clubs.
Get yourself set up and money coming in with a good local reputation before going headfirst into what you want.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom