Dilema on warrior build

Jimmeh

Fledgling Freddie
Ive been thinking about this alot due to not having a working pc up until 2 weeks ago, but ive not been able to decide exactly how to sepnd the points. I have an idea but im not so sure which of the arms abilitys to get. At the moment im thinking of going fury/arms (30/21 or 31/20).

So far this is what i know i want:

Fury Talents (30 points)

Cruelty - 5/5 points
Increases your chance to get a critical strike with melee weapons by 5%.

Booming Voice - 5/5 points
Increases the duration of your Battle Shout and Demoralizing Shout by 50%.

Improved Demoralizing Shout - 5/5 points
Increases the attack power reduction of your Demoralizing Shout by 25%.

Piercing Howl - 1/1 point
Causes all enemies near the warrior to be dazed for 6 seconds.

Improved Cleave - 3/3 points
Increases the bonus damage done by your Cleave ability by 60%.

Enrage - 5/5 points
Gives you a 40% melee damage bonus for 4 swings any time you are the victim of a critical strike.

Death Wish - 1/1 point
When activated, increases your melee damage by 20% and makes you immune to fear, but lowers your defense against all types of damage by 20%. Lasts 30 seconds.

Flurry - 5/5 points
Increases your attack speed by 30% for your next 3 swings after dealing a critical strike.

---------

this being the extra point in fury if i choose that way
Bloodthirst - 1/1 point
Activates after dealing a killing blow. Your next melee weapon attack deals a 100% increased damage.

With the arms tree, im interested in impale and overpower maxed, atleast rank 2 in tactical mastery though im not sure if rank 5 is worth it. Deep wounds sounds good, the other abilities im not too bothered about, just want some advice :)

Arms Talents (20 points)

Improved Rend - 3/3 points
Increases the bleed damage done by your Rend ability by 35%.

Deflection - 5/5 points
Increases your Parry chance by 5%.

Tactical Mastery - 5/5 points
You retain up to 25 of your rage points when you change stances.

Improved Overpower - 2/2 points
Increases the critical strike chance of your Overpower ability by 50%.

Deep Wounds - 3/3 points
Your critical strikes cause the opponent to bleed, dealing 60% of your melee weapon's average damage over 12 seconds.

Impale - 2/2 points
Increases the critical strike damage done by your abilities in Battle, Defensive, and Berserker stance by 20%.

------

This being the extra point in arms if i go this way
Sweeping Strikes - 1/1 point
You next 5 melee weapon swings strike an additional nearby opponent.

If any can give constructive criticism and any advice it would be very welcome :)

Ormorof

FH is my second home
ive recently respecced and gotten rid of some rather rubbish talents and invested in impale in arms and imp overpower and its quite useful :)

though ive also gone for imp bloodrage 2 (reduces hp cost by 50% unless its been changed in patch :p ) means i can use bloodrage with very little hp loss and also the 5 points in shield spec means i can switch from DW or 2h to 1h shield very easily which is kinda useful when i need to actually do any tanking :p

Nugusta

One of Freddy's beloved
I dual wield most of the time, when I'm not ill be using slow one hander and shield. and this is what I'll be using. No it doesn't have MS :p

Fury 22 Pts
Cruelty 5/5
Improved Demoralizing Shout 5/5
Unbridled Wrath 4/5
Piercing Howl 1/1
Enrage 5/5
Improved Intercept 2/2

Protection 21 Pts
Shield Specialization 5/5
Improved Bloodrage 2/2
Toughness 5/5
Last Stand 1/1
Improved Shield Block 1/3
Improved Revenge 3/3
Improved Disarm 3/3
Concussion Blow 1/1

Arms 8 Pts
Deflection 5/5
Tactical Mastery 3/5

Imp. Intercept - Helps me ALOT in PVP, mages usually blink out of this.
Concussion Blow - 5s stun, free hits on mages if you can get close enough (after they blink out of intercept)
Piercing Howl - I use this more offensively then defensively, always use it before any CC happens to me. Yes, Hamstring does last longer, this is just my preferance.
Shield Block - When dual wielding I find it tough to kill rogues, since no imp. overpower. Timing this right has helped me on countless occasions. Also works nicely with imp. revenge...
Imp. Disarm - Same as Shield block really, also helps alot when fighting any class that uses a 2hand wep to melee.
Last Stand - Free 30% hp for 1 talent point? 10 min timer sucks though.

My 2c. Some points may seem insignificant to others that feel the "2h MS" build is the way to go...Keep in mind this is my build and I prefare this to the MS build :p

ST^

Can't get enough of FH
Most think 2h MS is the way to go, because it really is more effective in PVP than the other builds.

Sure, you can make a fine DW build. It won't be as good overall though.

Dillinja

Can't get enough of FH
I agree with ST. 31 Arms 20 Fury is the only way to go.

Sycho

Can't get enough of FH
Got a guildie who is MS specced and has a reaper, the damage is very very good.If warrior DW was maybe 10% miss rate on offhand or so then it could of been worth considering for pvp...they really should give warriors a talent that boosts the DW rate or damage of offhand.Oh well they still very good in the right hands, better than the palas that shield on 5% knowing they going to get their asses kicked and still die. xD

Toxx

Fledgling Freddie
Unfortunatly, all warrior abilities and talents favor a 2h (apart from heroic strike and unbridled wrath.

I started out as a fury warrior, with the intention of DW'ing. After i got to 40, and tried out Bloodthirst (final fury skill) i realised how going full fury just doesnt work.
You NEED to have mortal strike, its damage output surpasses fury in burst dps, and sustained, and has the benefit of knocking 50% heal effectiveness off your target. Plus if you go 30/31 fury, you cant get a weapon specialization to increase crit rate by another 5% (or stun rate, or double hit rate if you are mace or sword).

I think some balancing might be in order, a final tier skill in the fury tree that prefers DW (heroic strike that swings both weapons maybe?).

The only current advantage i can think of for DW atm, is that it interupts your targets casting better (not a big deal though) and you generate a bit more rage.

If you do decide to go fury and DW, make sure you setup a macro to swap to a big slow 2h weapon for over power.

k9awya

Can't get enough of FH
31/20 MS

anything else you need to know? nothing whatsoever..

Nugusta

One of Freddy's beloved
ST^ said:
Most think 2h MS is the way to go, because it really is more effective in PVP than the other builds.

Sure, you can make a fine DW build. It won't be as good overall though.

If it fits my play style, thats how I'll play. I don't care if I'm not the "best" as everyone else seems to look for, though I do understand everyones need to be the best considering the genre and type of game we're playing :p

k9awya

Can't get enough of FH
that was overpowered state of a warrior, in beta

its not like that anymore.

ST^

Can't get enough of FH
Nugusta said:
If it fits my play style, thats how I'll play. I don't care if I'm not the "best" as everyone else seems to look for, though I do understand everyones need to be the best considering the genre and type of game we're playing :p

Well you either like to instance or you like to pvp. Obviously if you are here for the PVE, you should have more in protection (even more than what you have).

If you like pvp, surely you like winning instead of losing? MS build gives you the best chance of winning. Playing a "gimped" spec just to show it can be done is a lame attempt at boosting your ego.

Nugusta

One of Freddy's beloved
ST^ said:
Well you either like to instance or you like to pvp. Obviously if you are here for the PVE, you should have more in protection (even more than what you have).

If you like pvp, surely you like winning instead of losing? MS build gives you the best chance of winning. Playing a "gimped" spec just to show it can be done is a lame attempt at boosting your ego.

I don't like to instance at all, actually. Surely being the "best" to win boosts your ego more than loosing does? Like I said, it was my opinion, my template. If you think you must argue your point further feel free to pm me, how ever I won't let this turn into a flame war, I'm sure the mods have enough of that :p

Either way, maybe when I get bored of my current spec, I'll retrain my talents to the coockie cutter build and try that while dual wielding, more rage in a shorter amount of time will mean more MS spam and as I may group alot to pvp it introduces some utility. Mages/rogues can take care of damage, the only reason I don't play full prot is due to it having next to no effect in pvp. Replace Shield Discipline with an ability to block for a group mate and I'll definately go for that.

Dillinja

Can't get enough of FH
A bit off-topic but I don't think it's worthy of its own thread:

Anyone else noticed that intercept stun and charge stun are resisted like 20% of the time since the patch? Was this intended? :\

Also, some abilities (hamstring mainly) seem to miss a lot more than they did before. Are these stealth nerfs or am I imagining it?

mts

Fledgling Freddie
Dillinja said:

Anyone else noticed that intercept stun and charge stun are resisted like 20% of the time since the patch? Was this intended? :\

YES!

i have noticed this as well... every time i rend/hamstring a rogue and start beating his ass down and he vanishes/sprints manages to get away i have had a track record of like 33% resists on my intercepts.. its not cool at all

Nugusta

One of Freddy's beloved
Dillinja said:

Also, some abilities (hamstring mainly) seem to miss a lot more than they did before. Are these stealth nerfs or am I imagining it?

I've noticed intercept resisting alot, though this was mainly on people +5 levels on me, so ignored it :p I haven't noticed any difference with charge.

Ormorof

FH is my second home
ST^ said:

did you ever consider that some people may not be suited to certain specs? :)

for example as a warrior i like to dual weild (possibly because i played zerker in daoc :p ) but i also like to use 2 hander every now and then... the fact is that when i choose a talent i dont say "im choosing this talen thus ill never DW again as it will gimp me"

i find DW much more entertaining than 2 handed, this does not however stop me from using 2 handed, it does not stop me from speccing in any talent i like ;)

wether its gimped or not can hardly be decided by looking at what talents there are, the player behind the talents is just as important imo, so rather than making "cookie cutter" specs and simply saying "this is better, use it" why not try and suggest ways to possibly improve the spec he has already and so make him enjoy the game more?

stubbyrulz

Fledgling Freddie
aye i noticed that aswell it kinda sucks :/ think they nerfed some other stuff this patch to

Alithiel

Fledgling Freddie
Ormorof said:
for example as a warrior i like to dual weild (possibly because i played zerker in daoc :p )
You played a Zerker in DAoC, and you LIKE dual weild in WoW?!? :eek7:

Having played a Merc in DAoC is what makes me detest and despise the DW mechanics in WoW... :eek:

Whisperess

Can't get enough of FH
Alithiel said:

Having played a Merc in DAoC is what makes me detest and despise the DW mechanics in WoW... :eek:
For some the essence behind dual wielding matter more; especially given that this is an entirely different game and all ;)

Ormorof

FH is my second home
Alithiel said:

maybe im less prone to make judgements based on statistics.... buuuuut a DW Gnome Warrior looks sooooo cool :cheers:

(just like my valkyn zerker looked great :D )

Gef

Fledgling Freddie
k9awya said:
that was overpowered state of a warrior, in beta

its not like that anymore.

Bloodthirst critting on every blow is slightly overpowered! lolz @ 2500hp crits every time. Flurry seems to be up permanently too..

The main thing I like about 31 Arms/20 Fury is the extra 10% chance to crit, with a mongoose potion in zerker stance I have almost 25%. Thats at level 51, with pretty cruddy gear, plus the fact that my crits do 20% extra damage with Deep Wounds and even more over time with Impale.

Fury is deffinately the best choice for PvE though, that video shows how easy it is to chain mobs with Bloodthirst, maybe to a lot lesser extent now though. But with some bandages and a nice exp spot you never need to stop for more than 8 secs.

Turamber

Part of the furniture
How does a protection warrior do in duels against the fotm spec? I am thinking improve disarm/revenge/shield block would be rather handy.

Danya

Fledgling Freddie
Sycho said:
Got a guildie who is MS specced and has a reaper, the damage is very very good.If warrior DW was maybe 10% miss rate on offhand or so then it could of been worth considering for pvp...they really should give warriors a talent that boosts the DW rate or damage of offhand.Oh well they still very good in the right hands, better than the palas that shield on 5% knowing they going to get their asses kicked and still die. xD
Never mind reaper matt, get one of these bad boys: http://wow.allakhazam.com/item.html?witem=17076 ;>

Alithiel

Fledgling Freddie
Ormorof said:
maybe im less prone to make judgements based on statistics
My statement wasn't based on statistics, but my observations from having tried DW on my Warrior at various stages of levelling.

I just found I didn't like how it worked at all, and having played a Merc I'd have thought that someone who'd played a Zerker with their 100% DW rate would have found it even more unbearable than I did! ;)

k9awya

Can't get enough of FH
Turamber said:
How does a protection warrior do in duels against the fotm spec? I am thinking improve disarm/revenge/shield block would be rather handy.

kinda die

weapon chain is most important enchant
stuns are diminshing returns, o

Ormorof

FH is my second home
Alithiel said:
My statement wasn't based on statistics, but my observations from having tried DW on my Warrior at various stages of levelling.

I just found I didn't like how it worked at all, and having played a Merc I'd have thought that someone who'd played a Zerker with their 100% DW rate would have found it even more unbearable than I did! ;)

100% DW rate? i think you mean 100% swing rate, hitting was never 100% as a zerker :p

and i hit so fast with my offhand atm that i hardly notice tbh :p

Vasconcelos

Part of the furniture
Gef said:
Bloodthirst critting on every blow is slightly overpowered! lolz @ 2500hp crits every time. Flurry seems to be up permanently too..

The main thing I like about 31 Arms/20 Fury is the extra 10% chance to crit, with a mongoose potion in zerker stance I have almost 25%. Thats at level 51, with pretty cruddy gear, plus the fact that my crits do 20% extra damage with Deep Wounds and even more over time with Impale.

Fury is deffinately the best choice for PvE though, that video shows how easy it is to chain mobs with Bloodthirst, maybe to a lot lesser extent now though. But with some bandages and a nice exp spot you never need to stop for more than 8 secs.

With 31arms rest fury i can chain mobs w/o having to stop more than 8secs. Also, it gives me more return for pvp.

31arms/20fury waytogo

Dedaith

Fledgling Freddie
Going for 30 Protection, 21 Arms build.

May not be the fastest killing spec but it will be keeping me alive in the higher Instances.
Sure Arms/Fury is better in pvp, but untill BG's come out there is little use in doing pvp as Alliance zergs everything anyway.

Got an unused Kang the Decapitator though, thats making me regret that I don't use 2h but that's life :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom