Different Tier's

Wai

Fledgling Freddie
Just wondered if anyone that is in beta can say if going though the tiers to max lvl is going to make a big difference to how your char will play?

What I mean is when you get to lvl12 for example if you go back to the tier1 area (lvl1-11) you get turned into a chicken (I think) and ofc can't kill anything then, if you go past tier1 though will you miss anything if you rushed it? Reason I ask is because in LOTRO for example there are traits to be earnt in each area and if u rush to the end lvl u end up spending alot of time going back to those low lvl area's to kill x amount of mob y to get trait z up 1 more lvl, if there is something simular in this game then you can see how that would be a major problem if u rushed to max :)

Faya

Fledgling Freddie
The ToK alone will prolly make you wander back in any passed area i would think.

Faya

Fafnir

Resident Freddy
Just wondered if anyone that is in beta can say if going though the tiers to max lvl is going to make a big difference to how your char will play?

What I mean is when you get to lvl12 for example if you go back to the tier1 area (lvl1-11) you get turned into a chicken (I think) and ofc can't kill anything then, if you go past tier1 though will you miss anything if you rushed it? Reason I ask is because in LOTRO for example there are traits to be earnt in each area and if u rush to the end lvl u end up spending alot of time going back to those low lvl area's to kill x amount of mob y to get trait z up 1 more lvl, if there is something simular in this game then you can see how that would be a major problem if u rushed to max :)
Think in the pve areas you can go without goin chicken :)

Wai

Fledgling Freddie
Think in the pve areas you can go without goin chicken :)

Ah thank god, was starting to think I'd have to slow grind every zone to make sure I got the reputation/renown (or whatever it is :p) to get certain items/quests and with the amount of time I'm in work that would mean I'd end up the max lvl by at the earliest Christmas... 2010 :D

Ardwan

Fledgling Freddie
Yeah, you only turn into a chicken if you enter the RvR areas.

Spookie

Fledgling Freddie
Yeah, you only turn into a chicken if you enter the RvR areas.

Half correct, you turn in to a chicken if you flag your self for RvR. So if you're in a group with a lowbie who is in the RvR zone and you buff the group you'll get chickened. It's a pain I know.

Enli

Fledgling Freddie
the only thing u might miss out on is some tome unlocks in the rvr areas

Wai

Fledgling Freddie
the only thing u might miss out on is some tome unlocks in the rvr areas

will that make a big difference to the char in the end or is just just going to be decorative things or titles u will miss out on as a result?

Legean

Fledgling Freddie
will that make a big difference to the char in the end or is just just going to be decorative things or titles u will miss out on as a result?

I'd imagine RvR titles were for all RvR, not restricted to a certain zone/tier. On the Core ruleset you will be able to go back to any area (except the RvR zone) and complete any PQs/Quests/kills to get your Tome unlocks, scavenge for materials ect.

Atm on the Open ruleset you are automatically always flagged without being able to turn it off. Side effect of this will be you will be turned into a chicken anytime you enter a lower level zone, though im sure this will be resolved before the game goes live.

Mellon

Fledgling Freddie
Some "effects" (as opposed to just decorative titles) are actually hidden in the different tiers. For example I found that killing every member of a family of undeads earned me a tome unlock that allowed me to buy a tome tactic that gives 5% extra damage to all undead mobs. If I hadn't been such a curious person, I wouldn't have found that unlock, and would now do 4.8% less damage to undead mobs.

But this unlock is on the other hand easy to go back and do once you are max level since it was in tier 4.

Overdriven

Dumpster Fire of The South
@Mellon: Things like that I'm going to like, as I tend to hate certain mob factions (Svarts in Spindelhalla, anyone?)

Enli

Fledgling Freddie
nothing much really, just some stories/lore maybe
and can't say it for sure, could be that u can get em as chicken aswell

lairiodd

Loyal Freddie
Wouldn't it have been better to set the char as tier appropriate rather than make them powerless. My understanding is that they boost low level players, so could do the reverse with high level players.

Another option is to make it only have an effect on rvr combat.

Mellon

Fledgling Freddie
Wouldn't it have been better to set the char as tier appropriate rather than make them powerless. My understanding is that they boost low level players, so could do the reverse with high level players.

Another option is to make it only have an effect on rvr combat.

Just downpowering the level of everyone would, IMHO, need to include removing the use of all the highlevel abilities as well. Because the stuns etc etc would be too powerful compared to what the lowlvl characters have available.

I'd like to see some sort of paralell to the original idea of the WoW dishonourable kill. When you target someone that is vastly lower lvl than you, they will show up ni a strange warning colour on your screen (pink and yellow polka dots maybe?) and if you kill them you will loose a few honourpoints and inflict a small penalty on your realms victorypoints. Just much enough to ensure people are not griefing endlessly.

But a much more lighthearted approach to that is of course to have the chicken-effect happen only when you attack someone that is flagged, or heal someone that is flagged... or similar.

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
Or, have the chicken effect ;) get yourself to the higher level RvR zone.

Only way it'd work with a downgrade would be to lower higher tier folks to rank 6/16/26 (so 2 levels lower than the bolstered people) and remove all their abilities that are higher level than that.

Rayko

One of Freddy's beloved
@Mellon: Things like that I'm going to like, as I tend to hate certain mob factions (Svarts in Spindelhalla, anyone?)

yeah, those directly linked to a safe passage at malmo svarts right? that one I remember very well :) with some extra ZW hugging to get to the lair groups! :lol:

Overdriven

Dumpster Fire of The South
yeah, those directly linked to a safe passage at malmo svarts right? that one I remember very well :) with some extra ZW hugging to get to the lair groups! :lol:

Haha, those are the ones. I hated Spindle, I hated getting to Malmo. Hmmm.. We played on the same server (I think we grouped a few times) Did you ever run with Bluesky on his regular dragon raids? I signed up for a couple (on Overbuffed) was funny with people not having the faction...

"SHIT! H STONE MOBS PULLED! STACK!"

Rayko

One of Freddy's beloved
Haha, those are the ones. I hated Spindle, I hated getting to Malmo. Hmmm.. We played on the same server (I think we grouped a few times) Did you ever run with Bluesky on his regular dragon raids? I signed up for a couple (on Overbuffed) was funny with people not having the faction...

"SHIT! H STONE MOBS PULLED! STACK!"

hehe yeah, we did group alot :) could have been on the Bluesky's DR raids too... but you were an occasional view on mid/pryd in general :cheers:

Mas

One of Freddy's beloved
Svartalf faction was easy and nice to have, shame you couldnt get a drakulv one too, one way stop to dragon from skona would be sweet.

Wai

Fledgling Freddie
used to love doing the bluesky DR runs, whenever I think of daoc back in the good ole days his DR's and certain bits of RvR in the old frontiers stick out in my mind.

Tbh if they relaunched the old frontiers on the servers I have my chars on atm I'd resub just to have a run around and remember the better fights that I took a part in :)

Lexa

Fledgling Freddie
It should be pointed out that it depends which server type you choose.

Currently the above described holds true to the beta servers which where the core server type.

There will however be an open server type where you can PvP outside the RvR areas (i.e. gank), in these servers you will be turned into a chicken by moving into a lower zone effectively removing that part of the game from you.

Why people will pick this server makes no sense to me, but hey the griefers have to go somewhere right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom