Decent monitor

S

Summo

I quite fancy treating myself to a new monitor. Currently have a 15" and want a 17" or 19"

I've heard that flat-screen TFT monitors have a lag effect, which is decreasing with each new model released. These are expensive and the technology is slow-moving.

Basically, has anybody recently bought a 17" or 19" model (reasonably priced) which they're happy with?

T

Testin da Cable

I have an Iiyama vm-pro 450 19" monitor. I'd recomend it to anyone as imo it rocks. [my previous monitor was the 17" version]
as it's a year old, the model should be in the 'reasonable' price range I guess :)

E

Embattle

Originally posted by SomeGuy
I've heard that flat-screen TFT monitors have a lag effect, which is decreasing with each new model released. These are expensive and the technology is slow-moving.

They have decreased a lot but its limited to the very expensive models.

One step up on TDC, get a Vision Master Pro 451 19" 1600x1200 as it comes with a 4 port USB hub :)

Cost about £360 from www.dabs.com

W

Wij

Originally posted by testin_da_cable
I have an Iiyama vm-pro 450 19" monitor. I'd recomend it to anyone as imo it rocks. [my previous monitor was the 17" version]
as it's a year old, the model should be in the 'reasonable' price range I guess :)

Snap :D

S

Summo

Fluffles all round, ppl. Thanks for your help - exactly what I wanted to hear. :D

Iiyama VM-Pro 450/451 it will be... :)

P

Perplex

I have a 19" Sony, cost me around 600 quid. Best monitor I've ever used apart from Mitsubishi - and it blows Iiyama out of the water.

Iiyama used to be the dogs danglies for VDUs, but that's not the case anymore. Altough they are are cheap, which makes them slightly more attractive

I however crave quality

E

Embattle

PC PRO still reckoned the 451 was the bogs bollocks :)

W

Wij

There's a lot of personal taste in monitors too. I'm happy with my 450. I've never seen a monitor that made me go "Wow, that's better than mine !" Iiyama's are very good for the price. Certainly they're not cheap shit. If you prefer your Sony though I can dig that :)

S

Summo

Yeah, but at £600 it'd better gently massage me under the desk while I'm playing.

B

bodhi

I've been perfectly happy with me 19" Taxan Ergovision 975. Always made good monitors Taxan have, and this one is no exception. Pretty cheap too.

I'd pick Sony over Iiyama any day (over any monitor in fact), but then Sony have always made the best stuff :)

P

Perplex

Originally posted by Bodhi
I'd pick Sony over Iiyama any day (over any monitor in fact), but then Sony have always made the best stuff :)

A man that clearly knows the score :D (shame about the ATi fetish tho!)

Sony most certainly do produce the highest quality goods

O

old.thumpy

I just got the samsung 19" syncmaster 950p +
and this thing rocks ..pumping 123khz @1024x768
and the price is great....

S

Summo

Hmm... Taxan are selling a pikey ex-demo model...

Ergovision 975 TCO 95 19 inch multi-scan colour monitor.
0.26mm anti-static non-glare FST CRT
HSYNC 30-95kHz, VSYNC 50-160Hz
TCO 95
Resolution 1280 x 1024 at 88Hz
Price £179 inc VAT +£10 UK Overnight delivery (ex-demo)

I'm picking up a free 21" monitor (with non-standard interface, though) tomorrow so I'll see what can be done with that. Otherwise I'd snap up this Taxan right now...

B

bodhi

The 975 will do 1600x1200 @ 85Hz. I know cos Im running at that at the mo :)

B

bodhi

Me dad has that Samsung monitor. Seems pretty shite compared to a decent 19 incher imo.

S

Summo

Whoooa! Just set up my 'new' Taxan Ergovision 975...

What an amazing difference it's made!

I should have bought a 19incher years ago.

:clap:

S

Sir Frizz

Originally posted by Bodhi
I've been perfectly happy with me 19" Taxan Ergovision 975. Always made good monitors Taxan have, and this one is no exception. Pretty cheap too.

:clap: wahey

W

WPKenny

Okay guys, on your recommendations, I just bought one of them ex-demo 975 models from Taxan. They got about 18 in stock and they're ones that have been sent to journalists for review etc and not on shops floors being touched by grubby stubby fingered people. :) So with any luck it should look brand spanking new.

I've been meaning to get a new monitor for ages. The one I have now is Taxan. Goes up to 1024x768 @ 60hz but it's a piddley screen with around 13.1 inches viewable. Not easy on the eyes.
Should go nicely with my newly upgraded athlon 1gig@1.4 and GF2 MX-400. heh.
Thnx for all the info.

S

Summo

Cool! Two of us have bought this model (when I phoned there were 19 in stock :)) and we owe it all to... Bodhi. Who'd have thunk it?

It came all boxed and wrapped up, full documentation etc. No fingermarks or nuttin. :)

I plugged mine in and was horrified to find the centre of the screen blurred, while the edges were dead sharp. Played around a bit, moved my UPS and speakers farther away...

Was half-way through writing an email to Taxan when it occured to me to change the refresh rate. Bumped it up to 85Hz (res is 1280x960) and ta-daaa! Everything is crystal clear! Ich bin ein monitor n00b, but something to bear in mind, Kenny.

Been playing all my games again. This is fantastic! An absolute fucking bargain at £180!

:clap:

W

WPKenny

I'm well looking forward to it now. Nice to know a couple of others have the exact same model and give it the thumbs up. I've been using shitty 14 inchers for as long as I can remember it's gonna be great to actually see what's going on with all them highly ressed pixels. :)
Have you managed to take it up to 1600 yet?

S

Summo

Just did! :D A bit small for my eyes, though.

I'm also pleased to see that my GeForce 2MX (same as yours, I believe) has coped admirably after I've bumped the resolution up in my games. :D

Having had a 15incher forever I'm absolutely amazed the difference this new monitor makes. :D I suddenly find I can get so much more immersed in a game now that it's taking up (almost) my whole vision. :D Plus little things like I can now expand columns to read all the information therein. :D

As you can see, I'm very :D about it.

:D

P

Perplex

heh, on that 0.26 dot pitch monitor those smilies must look like yellow blobs ;)

heh, j/j - congrats on getting new monitor :clap:

Users who are viewing this thread