Decathalon thoughts

kirennia

Part of the furniture
Right, these last two weeks have been a big turning point for me in-game and by that I simply mean, I've logged in a total of twice.....for 20minutes a piece. In need of ideas to keep myself in game, I decided to revive an old project I was working on whereby the whole realm could get together (or even hibs/mids if they have an alb/pryd or alb/excal alt account) for some kind of league based mass event stretched over 10 dates. By this I of course (for those who haven't noticed the title) mean a decathalon!

Currently for this I have 8 ideas for events but need 2 more to make a full decathalon. The idea is that over the course of these events, points are awarded for the top 10/15 contestants in events which DONT involve having an amazing character, nor are they based on popularity or even mass knowledge of the game.

At the end of each event, the point scorers would recieve items (I'll get to this part later) based on their standing. Each event would have a pool of prizes which can be picked out right up until the end where the winners would get massive prizes for their competetiveness. Once again, each event would offer an equal chance of winning as the last, ending in a more randomised league table.

For such an event, I would require the realms help in obtaining items in the first place. I've been thinking of how to do this and should I decide to make such an event, I'd be starting off by leading a full ML raid as well as many other farm raids in order to obtain prizes for people. Of course this wont be enough though so donations for such a cause would be very much needed and helpful.

So here are the ideas with pitfalls I've spotted along the way:

1)-Realm race consisting of 10 points to visit from which you get a 'flag' at each flags checked at the end of the race for those who got points. This would include places in both the original lands and SI. ToA places might well be added if by the time this is up and running, ToA is given out by GoA like mythic have done, for free. I don't want to end up singling out people who haven't bought such an expansion. No speed bots would be allowed, nor would any buffs, grouping or anything of that kind. Would have referees spread throughout the realm in order to spot people attempting to cheat so as to make sure the whole thing is legit. Horses wouldn't be allowed, porting would. lvl 1 crafted items would be given out to each of 10 referees to give to every person who comes to them...the top 15 would have their complete set checked for crafter name etc.

2-Gambling den. Roulette, poker, 21, duel bets.....I've been trying to think of other ideas for this but this is very much work in progress and needs more ideas to make a proper den suitable for however many contestants would apply for the decathalon.

3-Agramon survival test! Everyone starts up their level 1 characters and ventures out into agramon. The last one standing is the winner. Have stealther overseers to make sure no-one is outside of agramon at any point apart from on the bridge there. I think such an event might well need GoA co-operation which is another thing I need to find out about, in order to make sure no-one is cheating. The main problem I can see about this is hib/mid intervention but I'm more trustworthy then most and having overseers grouped up may well stop the odd soloer/duoer camping the bridge waiting for people to get to agramon. Of course once agramon is reached, all albs are fair game but I'd have to consult GoA about whether this would be considered against the code of conduct before allowing such an event.

Need a fourth event here which is suitable for a mass zerg

5-Camelot hide and seek! Everyone hides in camelot and 3 'seekers' look around to find everyone. No stealthers and anyone caught moving once the timer has stopped is removed from the championship. Given 5 minutes to get into place and you're considered caught when one of the catchers /emotes you. Once again, referee stealthers would wander around making sure no-one is cheating. I'm sure level 1 characters wouldn't be able to see a lvl 50 stealther sneaking around them so no-one would know if they're being watched.

At this point in the championship, people are started to be knocked out according to points.

6-The riddler whereby clues are given out every 5minutes to the battlegroup and everyone has to try and find the riddler...
This event would have horse and teleporters accessable so 1gold would be given out to all contestants at the beginning which WILL be plenty. The problem I can see with this is that I could possibly see the winner pm'ing his/her friends in order to find out where the riddler is. Maybe I'd need GoA intervention in order to obtain chatlogs from people who are the top 10/15? Maybe give away obvious clues once the first person has found the riddler? Ideas welcome for this.

7-Caer Sidi run. Everyone starts with their level 1 characters and is given 10silver at caer gothwaite in order to travel to Fort Gwyntell where they set off either on their own or seperately. High level overseers are dotted near Sidi as well as inside in order to see who can get the furthest towards Sidi. Points are divided according to time as well as where they get to. The main pitfall I can see for this is that if a level 1 should get into sidi, I'd need a character in there which can't be detected by sidi mobs in order to see who gets the furthest. For this I think I'd possibly need GoA intervention but again, I need to talk to them about this.

8-MUST HAVE 40 PEOPLE BY THIS POINT
Hurling championship consisting of 8 teams. Teams are decided beforehand based on 1-8 in championship rules. i.e. 1st in championship is team 1 captain, 2nd is championship 2nd captain etc...pick sides. 8th team captain picks first, 7th 2nd etc etc. This event could well be moved to a different slot in the decathalon dependant on how many people attend the events and how the tables are split. I think I'd need to use my discretion for this and slot it in where needed. Should a player from a team not show up, stand-bys would need to be present (referees from previous rounds) in order to take their place. Points would be awarded based on team placing in the mini tournament.
For example:
1st team gets 50 points each
2nd team gets 40 points each
3rd team gets 30 points each
4th team gets 25 points each
5th team gets 20 points each
6th team gets 15 points each
7th team gets 10 points each
8th team gets 5 point each

Need another event here suitable for either a big zerg or less people,. dependant on where it'd be in the championship

10-The gameshow. The final 8 people enter the gameshow and answer questions. Main big pitfall I could see in this is google :p Maybe a 10/15second timelimit per question would stop this but I'd have to search for keywords in each question on google and see how to word them so that people can't just key search for words. Would be an effort but worth it.

So those are the ideas so far. All I need from people now is ideas for 2 more events which remember, are NOT class/level/ability(to a degree) based. I'd also LOVE critisicm and for other pitfalls to be mentioned so that I could work on how to avoid them as well as what to ask GoA about the whole thing. Also, tell me if the idea is stupid or any particular part is with which I'd need to work on. I particularly need more help on the whole 'gambling den' idea on how to make it more appealing. Obviously, people willing to sign up as referees or players would be great, as well as people willing to help with obtaining items/artifacts etc for it.

So what do you think :)

Dalby

Fledgling Freddie
kirennia said:

Well sounds like fun :)

If u ever get it up and running i would join mate :cheers:

But consider the Caer Sidi run again. The ppl that runs up the path first will die, and the afk'ish slow ppl will win when mobs walk back to their "camp spot".
Maybe make a Krondor raid? Se how long a lvl 1 gimp can kite around all those mobs? :)

From what i remember, there is only melee mobs there and no caster mobs or instants on em.

Greenfingers

Fledgling Freddie
all 'oldtimers' know that HB-players will win the hurling :p (if we get that far, lol) I still have my sexxeh Cloak :)

will be there ofc Kir xD

Beovulf

Fledgling Freddie
Well sounds like a great idea, hope you get all the help you need :)

VampiiricMist

Fledgling Freddie
the stygia race. first person who gets from stygia haven to ml5 dungeon entrance wins.. oh.. you have to be lvl 1 and a halfogre to enter :)

Dalby

Fledgling Freddie
VampiiricMist said:
the stygia race. first person who gets from stygia haven to ml5 dungeon entrance wins.. oh.. you have to be lvl 1 and a halfogre to enter :)

hehe aye... that could be ugly :clap:

Febard

Fledgling Freddie
Greenfingers said:
all 'oldtimers' know that HB-players will win the hurling :p (if we get that far, lol) I still have my sexxeh Cloak :)
does yours still have the right color?? mine just look like guild emb. after last patch. :(

il be there kir :p

Induur

Fledgling Freddie
im up for it sounds like a gd laf but think i will have to be a referee as i have no space on my account to make a level one character :p can also help in doing any farming if ya want :)

Deepflame

Fledgling Freddie
Is this entire championship based on characters being level 1? I assumed this to be false, and based my responses on that.

kirennia said:
1)-Realm race consisting of 10 points to visit from which you get a 'flag' at each flags checked at the end of the race for those who got points. This would include places in both the original lands and SI. ToA places might well be added if by the time this is up and running, ToA is given out by GoA like mythic have done, for free. I don't want to end up singling out people who haven't bought such an expansion. No speed bots would be allowed, nor would any buffs, grouping or anything of that kind. Would have referees spread throughout the realm in order to spot people attempting to cheat so as to make sure the whole thing is legit. Horses wouldn't be allowed, porting would. lvl 1 crafted items would be given out to each of 10 referees to give to every person who comes to them...the top 15 would have their complete set checked for crafter name etc.
What about regular speed classes? Unless everyone has to be level 1 then this will be rather favoured towards speed classes.

I've long thought about doing something like that, but instead have it involve a group of players that have to solve riddles, do 'tasks' for referees to get the reward, kill something, etc. Basically, a couple of groups start out, if they wipe they're game over. They start out inside housing near an albion portal merchant. Then over /bg the first riddle is announced, and off they go.

That would even the playfield speed-class wise as every group would probably fit a minstrel. Referees give out rewards if they deem the group completed his challenge. And this wouldn't need GOA intervention either.

kirennia said:
2-Gambling den. Roulette, poker, 21, duel bets.....I've been trying to think of other ideas for this but this is very much work in progress and needs more ideas to make a proper den suitable for however many contestants would apply for the decathalon.
I'm not quite sure how you'd implement this, but it sounds really cool. (And expensive..)

kirennia said:
3-Agramon survival test! Everyone starts up their level 1 characters and ventures out into agramon. The last one standing is the winner. Have stealther overseers to make sure no-one is outside of agramon at any point apart from on the bridge there. I think such an event might well need GoA co-operation which is another thing I need to find out about, in order to make sure no-one is cheating. The main problem I can see about this is hib/mid intervention but I'm more trustworthy then most and having overseers grouped up may well stop the odd soloer/duoer camping the bridge waiting for people to get to agramon. Of course once agramon is reached, all albs are fair game but I'd have to consult GoA about whether this would be considered against the code of conduct before allowing such an event.
This will require a bit of cross-realming which is technically against the rules. You will have to coordinate this with GOA or you might run into trouble.

kirennia said:
Need a fourth event here which is suitable for a mass zerg
Heh, /level toon alarmclock keep take? :p

kirennia said:
5-Camelot hide and seek! Everyone hides in camelot and 3 'seekers' look around to find everyone. No stealthers and anyone caught moving once the timer has stopped is removed from the championship. Given 5 minutes to get into place and you're considered caught when one of the catchers /emotes you. Once again, referee stealthers would wander around making sure no-one is cheating. I'm sure level 1 characters wouldn't be able to see a lvl 50 stealther sneaking around them so no-one would know if they're being watched.
This one is really cool. :) Be sure to have them all at level 1 or speed class seekers will have an advantage.

kirennia said:
At this point in the championship, people are started to be knocked out according to points.

6-The riddler whereby clues are given out every 5minutes to the battlegroup and everyone has to try and find the riddler...
This event would have horse and teleporters accessable so 1gold would be given out to all contestants at the beginning which WILL be plenty. The problem I can see with this is that I could possibly see the winner pm'ing his/her friends in order to find out where the riddler is. Maybe I'd need GoA intervention in order to obtain chatlogs from people who are the top 10/15? Maybe give away obvious clues once the first person has found the riddler? Ideas welcome for this.
Personally, I would combine this with the first bit how I described it. If you make it group oriented and offer some sort of prize then there'll be plenty of competition and people will be less likely to tell other groups their findings for fear of losing their shot at the prize.

kirennia said:
7-Caer Sidi run. Everyone starts with their level 1 characters and is given 10silver at caer gothwaite in order to travel to Fort Gwyntell where they set off either on their own or seperately. High level overseers are dotted near Sidi as well as inside in order to see who can get the furthest towards Sidi. Points are divided according to time as well as where they get to. The main pitfall I can see for this is that if a level 1 should get into sidi, I'd need a character in there which can't be detected by sidi mobs in order to see who gets the furthest. For this I think I'd possibly need GoA intervention but again, I need to talk to them about this.
At level 1 I deem this impossible. Clever players can get to the bridge just fine, and then die there. There's just no way anyone'll get up. Even a zerg of level 50s takes a good couple of minutes.

kirennia said:
8-MUST HAVE 40 PEOPLE BY THIS POINT
Hurling championship consisting of 8 teams. Teams are decided beforehand based on 1-8 in championship rules. i.e. 1st in championship is team 1 captain, 2nd is championship 2nd captain etc...pick sides. 8th team captain picks first, 7th 2nd etc etc. This event could well be moved to a different slot in the decathalon dependant on how many people attend the events and how the tables are split. I think I'd need to use my discretion for this and slot it in where needed. Should a player from a team not show up, stand-bys would need to be present (referees from previous rounds) in order to take their place. Points would be awarded based on team placing in the mini tournament.
For example:
1st team gets 50 points each
2nd team gets 40 points each
3rd team gets 30 points each
4th team gets 25 points each
5th team gets 20 points each
6th team gets 15 points each
7th team gets 10 points each
8th team gets 5 point each
I've never actually played a hurling match, but since it's just a little mini-game this is very usable.

kirennia said:
Need another event here suitable for either a big zerg or less people,. dependant on where it'd be in the championship
Darkspire race?

kirennia said:
10-The gameshow. The final 8 people enter the gameshow and answer questions. Main big pitfall I could see in this is google :p Maybe a 10/15second timelimit per question would stop this but I'd have to search for keywords in each question on google and see how to word them so that people can't just key search for words. Would be an effort but worth it.
The questions will make or break this. Also, some players possess an insane amount of knowledge of the PvE world, while other more RvR focussed players will be left in the dark. (For example, what are the two portals in the Stygian Delta used for? I bet only very few people know the answer to this.)

kirennia said:
So those are the ideas so far. All I need from people now is ideas for 2 more events which remember, are NOT class/level/ability(to a degree) based. I'd also LOVE critisicm and for other pitfalls to be mentioned so that I could work on how to avoid them as well as what to ask GoA about the whole thing. Also, tell me if the idea is stupid or any particular part is with which I'd need to work on. I particularly need more help on the whole 'gambling den' idea on how to make it more appealing. Obviously, people willing to sign up as referees or players would be great, as well as people willing to help with obtaining items/artifacts etc for it.

I think it's a really cool idea to make a competition/event thing. If it's done right it can be a really fun day for the realm. Problem will be hibs/mids invading Albion while all the Albs are out running through their realm. (Though, past experience has shown that this ends up as their loss in the end usually.)

You will have to put a lot of thought into the various 'steps' though as to not make them too hard/easy/long/short/boring. It has to offer a decent amount of competition and/or challenge or a lot of people will quit mid-way. If you offer prizes be sure to make em worthwhile. Possibly ask GOA for something like a customized shield emblem thing to put inside your house. If you make the winners a group then be sure to offer the prize 8 times. Don't make the prize class-based. (A shield will do due to DR allowing everyone to wear a shield. I heard cloaks are bugged for custom items..)

kirennia

Part of the furniture
Deepflame said:
Is this entire championship based on characters being level 1? I assumed this to be false, and based my responses on that.

Well the idea is that people are level 1, purely so that class biases such as speed, sheilds, spell effects etc wouldn't effect their performance other other people. This would also lead to a free'er flow of ideas as low level mobs could be used to hinder people in the races etc. Barrows being a checkpoint for example always poses a problem ;)

Deepflame said:
I'm not quite sure how you'd implement this, but it sounds really cool. (And expensive..)

The idea of the gambling den would be very reliant on the 'referee' people standing at different tables, perhaps moving around at times and the use of the card dealing macros and for roulette, /random macro :p Asking for GoA help with displays would greatly help in such an event so that there could be a picture of a roulette board on a wall for example showing which numbers are black, red etc.

As for expensive, I had the idea of mass crafting lvl1 items with my crafter. You can do 5 or so a second and give out say 30'credits' at the beginning of the event to each person and count them up at the end. The problem being that for the people with the most of this item at the end, I'd have to check and see that indeed, they were all crafted items by me. An easier solution would be to talk to GoA about getting xxxxxxnumber of mass stackable items called 'credits' or something put in my inventory which I could hand out at the beginning to everyone.

Deepflame said:
This will require a bit of cross-realming which is technically against the rules. You will have to coordinate this with GOA or you might run into trouble.

Aye, I'd have to check the boundaries with them. Of course having the characters all level 1 would help to stop mass realm point farming, otherwise some pbaoe group would come over and gain 100k in 5minutes ;)

Deepflame said:
This one is really cool. :) Be sure to have them all at level 1 or speed class seekers will have an advantage.

Hide and seek would have everyones lvl 1 character as a non-speed class, only referees would have classes which can stealth so as to find everyone AND be able to spot people moving about. The original idea would be that just 3 'helpers' would be finding everybody but I've been thinking of once someone is tagged, they're a seeker too. Not sure how easy that'd be to police though.

Deepflame said:
Personally, I would combine this with the first bit how I described it. If you make it group oriented and offer some sort of prize then there'll be plenty of competition and people will be less likely to tell other groups their findings for fear of losing their shot at the prize.

Aye, it's not a bad idea actually, apart from that it leaves me with one less event...hehe

Deepflame said:
At level 1 I deem this impossible. Clever players can get to the bridge just fine, and then die there. There's just no way anyone'll get up. Even a zerg of level 50s takes a good couple of minutes.

As someonelse said, maybe a krondon raid would be better...although once you get inside, there are many different ways to go so it'd be even more difficult to tell who got the furthest inside. Maybe even setting off from the west downs and going as far as you can inside the barrows with an end point at the wights room? Could work if I took times as well as who reached the end first.

Deepflame said:
Darkspire race?

I've been trying to do as few races as possible as they're quite a simple thing to think up and once you've done a couple, you'll be fed up of doing yet more.

I think it's a really cool idea to make a competition/event thing. If it's done right it can be a really fun day for the realm. Problem will be hibs/mids invading Albion while all the Albs are out running through their realm. (Though, past experience has shown that this ends up as their loss in the end usually.)

Deepflame said:
You will have to put a lot of thought into the various 'steps' though as to not make them too hard/easy/long/short/boring. It has to offer a decent amount of competition and/or challenge or a lot of people will quit mid-way. If you offer prizes be sure to make em worthwhile. Possibly ask GOA for something like a customized shield emblem thing to put inside your house. If you make the winners a group then be sure to offer the prize 8 times. Don't make the prize class-based. (A shield will do due to DR allowing everyone to wear a shield. I heard cloaks are bugged for custom items..)

Well if I were to run an ML run, I'd be able to use the items from that as a 'pool' to select items from. Along the way in them, perhaps I could detour and do a couple of the rarer artifacts while passing? This is why I say i'd need a lot of help from people in order to get donations towards the event. Every item would in the end be given out to albion and it'd be an alternative way to get spirits up (hopefully). I'm not sure how much people would be willing to come on events specially to farm items for this when there would be no personal gain, (apart from mentioning on FH ofc) so ideas to get people to help would be welcome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom