Death?

old.Whoodoo

Can't get enough of FH
Was pondering the question of mortality in DAoC.

Low level groups these days are rare. So I pondered if there was some cure for this, as it affects many people who do enjoy PvE, as well as new players to the game. So I considered character deaths.

The game has its own timeline, day and night, and as I think Roo/Tohorti/someone once pointed out, its sort of possible to work out your characters RL age (ish).

So, I thought that once a character reaches a certain age - random 40-50 years for the time period average age, it would start to die of probably natural causes. The end could come either in battle, or perhaps after developing an illness. A warning of iminant demise could be given and a few days/weeks (game time) it would perish.

Most of us now have more than 1 level 50 in game, and hopefulyl this idea would push us all towards creating new characters, and going down the exp road again, only perhaps with others our level as we used to do when DAoC was in its prime.

I hear the comment "all our hard work gone to waste" and indeed to a degree yes. Perhaps some reward to pass onto the next generation, say 1/3 the RA points from the last char, an item only atainable from seeking the path to Valhalla, or something to compensate.

Yes I know this is a little ott on the rp, but hey, this is an mmorpg, aint that the point?

Discuss.....

(sorry if this does seem a little morbid btw :))

Nxs

One of Freddy's beloved
An interesting idea - but something i wouldnt want to see, due to the 'all my hard work' argument, besides the addons release new content so you would be fighting a constant battle to have an updated character.

%Dur on your toon... no thanks :)

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
:eek7:

Somebody shoot him.

Dorin

Fledgling Freddie
after:

- leveling to 50 under normal circumstances (ie.: not powerlevel)
- doing master levels, getting masterlevel experience
- doing TOA-SI-other quests for items / xp
- getting artifacts (4 for my svg)
- gettin scrolls for artifacts (like som or gov scrolls)
- lvling various artifacts to lvl 10
- farming cash for rare items or farming the item itself (2 for my svg)
- cash for new armor parts
- cash for the sc/alc of the new parts
- helping guildies with the same problems
- lack of Realm vs Realm combat due to this grind
- getting the badly needed realm ability skills

NO THANKS, i dont wanna do it all ever again... but if i ever decide to i would like to do it whenever i want, not when my current char decides to die due to his age :)

Jaem-

Can't get enough of FH
Unless they reduce the time involved in creating, lvling 1-50, gaining items needed, SC, arts, etc. I don't see point in a death for a char.

But personaly, I'd not like it one bit, my char(s) I've put effort into, to only have to repeat again and again is nonsense.

Yes it would keep the world circling, but Ivery much doubt there'll be many that enjoy enduring boring mob bashing, itam hunting, etc.

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
so if yer powerlevelled to 50 you get to enjoy being powerful and doing all the high end stuff (non-bg RvR, epic raids etc.) for a lot lot longer than the casual gamer...

we're heros ;) we don't die :)

Driwen

Fledgling Freddie
Dorin said:
- getting artifacts (4 for my svg)
- gettin scrolls for artifacts (like som or gov scrolls)
- lvling various artifacts to lvl 10
- farming cash for rare items or farming the item itself (2 for my svg)
- cash for new armor parts
- cash for the sc/alc of the new parts
- lack of Realm vs Realm combat due to this grind

those 7 things isnt something you have to do all over again though, your char dies not his equipment. However to implement something like this in daoc would probably not be smart, but you could say that a child gets born and that he is of the same RR as his parent and same ML, as he is the kid of that person. So all he lacks is the level, but this will only work in advantage of the pl'ers as they will have their toon to 50 in 3 days, while the others spend a few months on it.

Dorin

Fledgling Freddie
Driwen said:
those 7 things isnt something you have to do all over again though, your char dies not his equipment. However to implement something like this in daoc would probably not be smart, but you could say that a child gets born and that he is of the same RR as his parent and same ML, as he is the kid of that person. So all he lacks is the level, but this will only work in advantage of the pl'ers as they will have their toon to 50 in 3 days, while the others spend a few months on it.

just to get myself straight then, so you get the same char on lvl 1 after it dies... so you strip your old equipment and use it once you went through teh xp grind again, now that would be something i call "silly" :). If not the same char, you are wrong as you wont use your old equipment... but saying again, it would be utterly boring and dull to lvl the same char from 1-50 every 3 month :p

Oro

Fledgling Freddie
Hmm not sure if I'd like that though I understand the thinking.

Most of my /played on Roo was waiting for rezzes. When people say you're a long time dead they've usually just been watching my playstyle :D

Driwen

Fledgling Freddie
Dorin said:
just to get myself straight then, so you get the same char on lvl 1 after it dies... so you strip your old equipment and use it once you went through teh xp grind again, now that would be something i call "silly" :). If not the same char, you are wrong as you wont use your old equipment... but saying again, it would be utterly boring and dull to lvl the same char from 1-50 every 3 month :p

uhm who said 3 months? 3 months of /played or more would be something I would aim for and yes your exp armour is something you have to get again but the lvl 50 stuff you save and that is where the real problems are. Money to get the SC, time spend on lvling artifacts, etc those things dont have to be redone and take way more time than your exp armour. Btw if you know your char is gonna die then you would possibly save your exp armour along the way. However it might be a nice idea, but not something you should introduce afterwards in a mmorpg.

Urme the Legend

Fledgling Freddie
Noone would help each other if this was implemented.

- Dude1 says, "Guys can you help me farming Regarding Shades 3/3?"
- Dude2 says, "No dude.. I only got 10 days of playtime left on this toon until it dies"

Driwen

Fledgling Freddie
Urme the Legend said:
Noone would help each other if this was implemented.

- Dude1 says, "Guys can you help me farming Regarding Shades 3/3?"
- Dude2 says, "No dude.. I only got 10 days of playtime left on this toon until it dies"

if dude2 helps dude1, then dude1 can help dude2 when he has to lvl again?

As if people wont help cause of playtime left then they wouldnt help, if they just have 10 days left for a vacation or "need" to get some cash for their new SC.

Eroa

Banned
Oro said:
Hmm not sure if I'd like that though I understand the thinking.

Most of my /played on Roo was waiting for rezzes. When people say you're a long time dead they've usually just been watching my playstyle :D

tbh your sm had weak knees. toppled over all teh time

behatch

Fledgling Freddie
Wouldnt work and we could still /level thus not helping naabs at all..if the implemented this i think you see the daoc population go from thousands too 100 or smth :D

twitch

Fledgling Freddie
Its an interesting idea although not terribly popular, it got me thinking perhaps reducing xp loss could be a way of reducing PvE grind without fooling with the class balance. The game needs new players at the moment its very difficult to start from level one all the way up to fifty, more so than a couple of years ago. Maybe half levels like you get at level 45 would be a good idea but at level 20, or like in Ultima Online an xp happy hour where all xp is doubled for the first hour you play.

I can remember having a nasty streak of bad luck in my twenties where I would loose five bubs of xp, admittedly due to my own eagerness / anger which would have me shrieking into my monitor when I reappeared at the bind stone and looking at my xp loss.

I guess mythic have an invested interest in keeping the path to 50 long and hard, you’ll be paying your subscription fees the whole time after all but also they are loosing potential new player which in the long run damages the experience for all.

Twitch

Light

Loyal Freddie
watching the dur deteriorate on my artis scares me enough let alone on my char :eek:

yaruar

Can't get enough of FH
could be interesting and not that difficult to impliment.. Maybe in a fluff way with the character's appearance ageing over time.l Say one day /played = 1 month of their life... Make the fighting life 40 years....

Would mean you would have to play 480 days /played to kill the character and anyone who spent that long probably needs to have all their characters wiped for the sake of their lives ;)

Xplo

Banned
If this ever happens i'll leave faster then you can say bye.

old.Whoodoo

Can't get enough of FH
Si came out
various DAoC players said:
SCing came:
ToA came:
Catacombes...
See a pattern :)

Not a popular idea, just a good thing to get you thinking.

Oh, and IMO the /level command killed the game for n00bies. And should be removed.

Shamyn

Fledgling Freddie
Driwen said:
but you could say that a child gets born and that he is of the same RR as his parent and same ML, as he is the kid of that person.

So, suppose you reroll a firbolg, who'se then supposedly the kid of a lurikeen? :eek7:

And then we'd have thidranki full of high RR/ML people, how fun would that be :eek7:

Pogel

Fledgling Freddie
Just not a good idea, and not really a solution to the problem at hand.

The only way of getting people doing 1-50 old-style again would be to:

1) Prevent PLing and high level buff-botting
2) Reduce the grind
3) Increase the rewards

The sad fact is that anyone who is able to (i.e. has the time and patience) will do everything they can to avoid the level grind and they are getting better and better at it all the time. The only people still levelling the old fashioned way seem to be the casual gamers (poor saps, like me) who only get on for a few scattered hours a week. And it's harder than ever to XP old-style thanks to the lack of groups.

It took me a year to get my first char to 50. The constraints on my play time mean that I don't have another character higher than 31. The perma death of my main would be an account closure for sure.

Not everyone has multiple 50s or the means to get them.

Iceflower

Fledgling Freddie
So the question remains, how should mythic liven up the leveling portion to allow new players to find people to play with now that a lot of the old hands head for the powerleveling spots?

SigvartH

Fledgling Freddie
Iceflower said:
So the question remains, how should mythic liven up the leveling portion to allow new players to find people to play with now that a lot of the old hands head for the powerleveling spots?

reduse the time. Make xp as fast on lvl 49 as it is on lvl 6-7. Tbh if pps solo a char too 50 in 1 week with out a BB it is fine by mee. U get enough pve with Ml, money farming, quests, arty hunts, scroll farming, etc etc. Ohh and dont give me the "but there are those of us who enyoi pve, and this would ruin it for us". pve pp's are like a tumor filled with cancer, cut it away before it kills the whole game.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom