News Death of Mininova as we know it

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
article said:
However, the founders dispute the ruling saying that they sold The Pirate Bay and no longer had any control over its content.

The current owner of The Pirate Bay is a Seychelles-based company called Riversella Ltd.

Hehe :)

Chilly

Balls of steel
good, crappy site anyway. Was once in a swarm of 100k+ peers and had 5kb/sec DL rate.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Newsgroups, but it's a very select environment. I'm not sure if we'd allow you in to our little club.

I'm sure hot sister pictures would help with your application though.

Roo Stercogburn

Resident Freddy
You don't need to join a Freddyshouse newsgroup :p

But yeh, you can go the newsgroup route. Its a little bit more fiddly and you need to pay for some services but you can get faster speeds and gain some immunity to packet inspection.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Most providers offer SSL connections too so yeah, the only way to snoop on what you're grabbing is get logs from the provider. Still a possibility but far less likely - after all I think they're mainly interested in uploaders.

Marc

FH is my second home
I have always used newsgroups. Far more reliable in my experience. I have to pay £8 a month for it and im sure you can do it cheaper but I prefer to stick with what I know.

Zenith

Part of the furniture
Whats a newsgroups? Never heard about it ( atleast not in english terms )

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
In my experience if you don't know, you're not welcome.

They're overly fussy and nerdy and filled with elitist bastards.

Bahumat

FH is my second home
Whats a newsgroups? Never heard about it ( atleast not in english terms )

Works like torrents, except it does not take your IP so you are a bit safer from what I heard. Also you download the file in text format and it all comes together at the end. That means you can download much faster. I can get about 450-500kbps on steam. On Newsgroups I can get about 800kbps.

this is a very weak explanation and I am probably wrong on a few parts, but if you want to DL, Newsgroups are the way to go.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Works like torrents

Actually fundamentally totally different to torrents.

The way I look at it is that newsgroups are like publicly available email stores. Anyone can contribute individual posts to certain groups and have attachments too. When you download something from NG's it's merging tens or hundreds of posts that merge to one file. It's all stored in a server so the reason that it might be less risky to use is that it's not peer to peer but server-client so the majority of users are just downloading, not sharing which appears to be what really pisses off the MPAA/RIAA etc at the mo.

The reason you'll often max out your connection is that Steam seems to use one thread - so downloading one stream of information at a time which is usually quite an inefficient way to use a connection. With newsgroups you'll often want to be using 10+ threads at a time.

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
If you live in a country that doesn't throttle them(The UK) they are still brilliant with private trackers.

Mines never been throttled :p peak or offpeak, lowest speed i've ever had from a private tracker is 200kb/s highest being 800kb/s (my cap)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom