Question Daylight bulbs

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Well, after a couple of years debating if I should buy some or not tonight I finally caved in and ordered three. For years now I have been using standard energy saving bulbs and suffering with the headaches I get after an hour of reading, thing is if I read outside in normal daylight I never ever get headaches and eyestrain, even before I had laser surgery reading outside was great and inside was horrible after an hour. So, after some research and talking to an online friend I decided enough was enough and it was time to splash the cash as I read 3 books a week on average and these standard energy savers are going to destroy my eyes at this rate.

So, was wondering if anyone else uses them or has experience of them? Yes I am aware that the lighting on these daylight bulbs can feel very harsh and cold in the begining but I am willing to persevere because all the research I have done suggests they are a godsend for heavy readers.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
I use halogen and led bulbs in my room, save just as much energy and give a more traditional "warm" light (well the halogens do), that doesn't fuck with your eyes.

changing your fixture to take halogens is fairly cheap, and they cost less than energy savers (once the government subsidy ends)

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
I use halogen and led bulbs in my room, save just as much energy and give a more traditional "warm" light (well the halogens do), that doesn't fuck with your eyes.

changing your fixture to take halogens is fairly cheap, and they cost less than energy savers (once the government subsidy ends)

For normal use I am sure your setup is ideal, the warmer lights really mess me up for reading though so I am probably going to stick with the warmer ones for lamps and the daylight for ceiling lights in the rooms I read in. 6400k full spectrum lights are supposed to be fantastic for heavy readers.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
They aren't that warm, they just aren't stupid light like energy saving bulbs. The LED's are very pure and bright light, perfect for reading.

Give one a try if you can.

How much do the daylight bulbs cost and what is their lifetime and wattage?

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
They aren't that warm, they just aren't stupid light like energy saving bulbs. The LED's are very pure and bright light, perfect for reading.

Give one a try if you can.

How much do the daylight bulbs cost and what is their lifetime and wattage?

25w, 10000 hours. Costing me around 5 quid each including postage.

My sister has LED's btw, her place is very modern though and they fit right in. Not so sure they would look good in my place.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Also, I can't believe the energy and manufacturers have managed to push through the EU legislation banning normal bulbs - the power of money. Last few months to stock pile them people!

We'll all soon be stuck with more expensive bulbs (more profit), that cause more environmental harm through disposal and manufacture than they save in energy use... oh and they fuck with people's eyes.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Also, I can't believe the energy and manufacturers have managed to push through the EU legislation banning normal bulbs - the power of money. Last few months to stock pile them people!

We'll all soon be stuck with more expensive bulbs (more profit), that cause more environmental harm through disposal and manufacture than they save in energy use... oh and they fuck with people's eyes.

I don't 100% agree but I do understand your arguement and have alot of sympathy for it, they have really pushed the low energy bulbs with big subsidies but the enviromental impact could be huge if we end up poisoning our ground water supplies in the process of disposing them

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
The first thing the Tories should have done is stop that subsidy. Would have saved millions.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
The first thing the Tories should have done is stop that subsidy. Would have saved millions.

What about the hundreds of millions of pounds worth of extra coal burnt up though? We need low energy lighting, I am just not sure we needed the ones they made affordable when they have so many potential dangers.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Mate, I have worked the last 9 months part time in a DIY retailer. the only people the subsides benefit are smaller retailers who come in and by en masse to resell in their stores.

All the subsidy does is line the pockets of the manufacturer and the retailers, people would move to energy saving naturally anyway, most have, or alternatives. It's quite hard to actually buy the bulbs you need otherwise, remember 100watt normal bulbs went two years ago, shaded bulbs went last year.

All it was is another pointless green measure from government who bows to the pressure of lobbyists with out due consideration.

edit:// much like the scrappage allowance, which was sold to the public in the guise of a green measure, when all it was designed to do was prop up a failing industry.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Yep I think we can agree it was pointless, they targeted the money at the wrong products in the wrong way.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
That's cheap compared to what the MOD pay for standard bulbs!

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Also, I can't believe the energy and manufacturers have managed to push through the EU legislation banning normal bulbs

Yeap. F*ck. That.

Saving the enviroment and all that malarky should be your choice, not your legal duty.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
That's cheap compared to what the MOD pay for standard bulbs!

the cost they pay probably includes them being fitted. Employers can't afford to let their employees change bulbs because of the risk of claims.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom