Day of Defeat: Source release date

Moving Target

Fledgling Freddie
Day of Defeat: Source (DoD: Source), the latest version of the WWII online action game from Valve®, will be made available to gamers everywhere on September 26.

"Day of Defeat has quietly been one of the most played online action games for the past three years," said Gabe Newell, president and founder of Valve. "Day of Defeat: Source represents a major leap forward in both graphics and gameplay, and pushes the Source engine harder than any other Source project."

DoD: Source takes the classic teamplay of DoD and expands the experience with Source, the engine technology Valve created for Half-Life® 2 and it's next generation of games. With this technology, DoD: Source offers state of the art graphics with optimized versions of popular maps and all new player, weapon and world models, plus support for HDR lighting.

DoD: Source leverages the power of the Source engine by introducing advanced sound technology to provide a more immersive soundscape and integrated physics simulation technology for ragdolls and physically simulated objects throughout each map.

Available via Steam for just $19.95 and in the Counter-Strike: Source retail package, DoD: Source is a rebuild from the ground up of Day of Defeat on the Source engine.

DoD: Source will be available for pre-load and pre-order next week. Those who purchased the Half-Life 2 Silver or Gold Steam offers will receive a request to pre-load the game at this time and will receive access to play the moment the game is made available.

For more information, visit www.steampowered.com

So, what do people think paying an extra $20 for a mod? Thankfully I bought the Silver option so I don't have to pay now :)

P.S. the Steam website seems to be down to me?

throdgrain

FH is my second home
Most people seem to have the silver version anyway.
Me I cant wait for it, if only to play it for a day or so before returning to CS :)

Stazbumpa

Fledgling Freddie
DoD has always pnwed CS tbpfh. CS:S has been seriously noobed and I pray to god above that DoD gameplay, hit registry and gun mechanics haven't been made FUBAR.

I'm in an acronym mood today afaik tbh.

throdgrain

FH is my second home
Oh how right you are.
I played DoD yesterday for old times sake (and I was bored) , the server had a thing that showed where you got hit. So, "you were hit in the leg with a K98" - dead. "you were hit twice in the chest by a Thompson" - still alive.
Rediculous.

xane

Fledgling Freddie
throdgrain said:
Oh how right you are.
I played DoD yesterday for old times sake (and I was bored) , the server had a thing that showed where you got hit. So, "you were hit in the leg with a K98" - dead. "you were hit twice in the chest by a Thompson" - still alive.
Rediculous.

Probably needs more verbose messages, maybe it was "you were hit in the leg with a K98 causing you to stumble onto a landmine before being run over by a Sherman M4A1", and "you were hit twice in the chest by a Thompson but both bullets were deflected by the Bible in your breast pocket your mother got you for Christmas which you put in a drawer and forgot about but decided to take with you today just in case the latrines ran out again".

Thinking of trying DoD, I never played CS until it was out in Source, so how does DoD compare with BF:1942 ?

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
xane said:
Thinking of trying DoD, I never played CS until it was out in Source, so how does DoD compare with BF:1942 ?

Not really comparable. DoD is more like Medal of Honor or Call of Duty than BF. I always thought it played OK but didn't really hold my attention for long. If I was in the mood to play a WWII FPS that wasn't BF, I'd probably take Call of Duty.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
throdgrain said:
Most people seem to have the silver version anyway.
Me I cant wait for it, if only to play it for a day or so before returning to CS :)

Thats only cos you're a noob!

So i guess you wont be starting a KEA DOD clan then...

throdgrain

FH is my second home
dysfunction said:
Thats only cos you're a noob!

So i guess you wont be starting a KEA DOD clan then...

Waste of time.

And you're a bigger noob than me !

Moving Target

Fledgling Freddie
Oh my gawd, only 45 minutes to go..it's been a long road, and one soon to be filled with thousands of people trying to get on 100 servers!

Stazbumpa

Fledgling Freddie
Just played on a 24 man server on Anzio. Apart from the lag and the silly notion that the Thompson isnt allowed to hit anything anymore, this game is fecking brilliant. Gameplay was really intense, have to keep checking your 6 a lot and grenades + enemy + ragdoll = hilarity.

Gray

FH is my second home
man.. when i stopped playing CS about 6 months ago, i had a short-stint at WoW again (It was infact my favorite, it was just that the DoD servers were pretty empty).

People where talking about DoD: S, this must have been back in March time, and expected release by "Fans" was around April/May...

So its taken all this time for it to be released then? I dont play FPS anymore mind, but DoD: S looked like a game in itself when i seen pics back then

WPKenny

Resident Freddy
Just played my first and last 5 mins of this.

Maybe it was bad luck but the gameplay itself seems shoddy and it doesn't help when you've got idiots deliberately TK'ing you as you try to snipe/machinegun as well as twats joining with names like "Irish Republican Army".

I only played the game cos I got the silver package and thought I'd give it a go.

Not my thing and if it was, I'd have been seriously put off by my first experiences.

The water looks nice tho.

Chilly

Balls of steel
Is it evil to advertise free servers? If not, then
193.238.83.227:27055
:D

Chilly

Balls of steel
make that
193.238.83.227:27015 AND 193.238.83.227:27016

Stazbumpa

Fledgling Freddie
If anyone is having framerate or lag issues, did this in an autoexec.cfg:

rate "20000"
cl_ragdoll_collide "1"
jpeg_quality "100"
cl_cmdrate "50"
cl_updaterate "50"
cl_smooth "0"
dxlevel "81"
exec config.cfg

and whilst the FPS still arent over 40, the lag has all but disappeared. Much better game now. Not sure what any of what I typed means though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom