dark age of camelot - when?

V

Validus

i have been thinking and researching a bit about where on the timeline this game takes place. arthur was supposed to be defeated in the battle of camlann, at around 650 ad i think.
roman history stopped at about 496 ad, when rome falls at 476 ad. the last battle of Vercingetorix, which was supposed to wipe out the gauls took place in 52 bc. however, the franks(later the french) took control of gaul at about 490 ad and pepin the short was the first king of france(i think) at 751 ad.
some npc's in the game mention constantine as the king after arthurs death. but constantine the 1st, the emperor of rome was at about 324 ad and until 410 ad, where constantine the 3rd was deposed from britain. my guild (the order of the knights templar)
was founded at 1118 ad in jerusalem.

so. my conclusion. very foggy history, and very undecisive game developers. cant blame them though, they dont call these the dark ages for nothing.

if anyone else finds any important information about the norse and celts, be my guest. saracens are understandable, since they did exist somewhere in the timeline of the order of the knights templar and did welcome them, during the crusades.

very debatable thing this is though. only if you have patience. no flames about a boring post plz. this is just made from interest.

O

old.Zeikerd

I can't remember the trolls, dwarfs, elfs, lurkeens, firbolgs and the other scum from history class though.

V

Validus

only historical documentation i found about kobolds is the smurfs :D

V

Validus

and dont call them dwarfs! they prefer to be called little people.

D

Deskiziado

I can see trolls, elf, lurikeen, firbolgs and dwarfts sometimes.

Yes, when i'm drunk :)

C

-chancer-

Originally posted by old.Zeikerd
I can't remember the trolls, dwarfs, elfs, lurkeens, firbolgs and the other scum from history class though.

u ever watch the film labrynth

V

Validus

yes the labrynth is a very good history documentation. found from scrolls of the ancient times of.... 1980's!!!!!!!! (AD)

A

Archeon

However, the chronologies may evolve with future add-ons.

So do you think this means one day we'l be doing RvR in outer-space and if you don't have a 30.3 DPS, Spell craft enhanced lazer cannon your just another piece of emain fodder? :D

W

Whoodoo_RD

Originally posted by Archeon

So do you think this means one day we'l be doing RvR in outer-space and if you don't have a 30.3 DPS, Spell craft enhanced lazer cannon your just another piece of emain fodder? :D
Nope, well all sit in Jordheim and just push a button, 3 mil RPs roll in each and they do the same to us and the game ends with one big server crash that no ones subsription survives.

B

blain

Typical case of Yank plagerising(sp?) other peoples history and cocking it up.

Seem to remember that Firbolgs actually fit into Norse Mythology rather than celt.

B

Bootae

It doesn't fit into the timeline or history at all.

For a start in Arthurs time there was no full plate armour (the arthur in shining plate armour is a myth made up by a french author in about the 14th century IIRC), only leather, scale, a little chain and the odd roman breastplate were used.

And Camelot certainly didn't look like that, castles on that scale we're built for many 100s of years later than arthurs time.

The siege weaponry we have was pretty much non existant, most of the old roman technology was lost the land having regressed big time.

There's countless other bits of weaponry and armour that are from later times too.

Snowdonia is not in or near Scotland, its in Wales. Dartmoor is a moor, there's no mountains :p.

And where did they get that badgers are aggressive? LOL

G

Gallak

I think Bootae has never been near a trapped Badger, they are nasty little buggers.

F

Fafnir

Originally posted by blain
Seem to remember that Firbolgs actually fit into Norse Mythology rather than celt.

Erhm no..

N

Neural Network

But if you want to know a bit about the mythology the Hibernia is more or less build on, I found this site as a very good starting point: http://www.alia.ie/tirnanog/cafe.html#sochis
And if I should complain about something: Why are we teleported to other realms, when sailing is so much more historical correct?

A

Alrindel

It might be an interesting topic for discussion, but saying "very foggy history, and very undecisive game developers" - as if the game was ever intended to be a realistic, historically accurate simulation of life and warfare in sixth century England - is patently absurd. DAoC is also a terrible first person shooter, a lousy cyberpunk science fiction MMORPG, a pathetically weak resource-based real time strategy game, and the worst implementation of Tetris I have ever had the misfortune to play! But as a game based in an entirely fictional world inspired by the fantastical tales of Arthurian lore, Nordic mythology and Celtic folk legends, it's pretty successful.

A

Aileanara

Originally posted by blain
Typical case of Yank plagerising(sp?) other peoples history and cocking it up.

Firbolg is from Irish Celt Mythology, some sort of BagMan? I havent read up the exact reference yet. Will get back to you when I do. (but as with all myth's sometimes different cultures use the same names & stories [take the flood for example which is mentioned in almost every religion/mythology in the world], so you could be right)

I havent found any reference to Lurikeens though in any of my books (got about 15 books on various world mythologies) I guess it will be somehow connected to leprecuan.

I also found some interesting maps of Ireland which show Emain, Lough Derg etc.

W

Whoodoo_RD

Originally posted by Alrindel
It might be an interesting topic for discussion, but saying "very foggy history, and very undecisive game developers" - as if the game was ever intended to be a realistic, historically accurate simulation of life and warfare in sixth century England - is patently absurd. DAoC is also a terrible first person shooter, a lousy cyberpunk science fiction MMORPG, a pathetically weak resource-based real time strategy game, and the worst implementation of Tetris I have ever had the misfortune to play! But as a game based in an entirely fictional world inspired by the fantastical tales of Arthurian lore, Nordic mythology and Celtic folk legends, it's pretty successful.

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

S

Sarum TheBlack

A lot of Albion’s geography actually exists, even if it is a little out of proportion. The heart of Albion is basically Wales, then stretching up through the Pennines to Scotland (not quite sure where Forrest Sauvage is supposed to be, but Wales->Snowdonia->Pennines->Hadrian’s Wall more or less makes sense), and down via Cornwall to Lyonesse, which in myth lies somewhere off then end of Cornwall. "Caer" is an old welsh term for a castle or fort, so really they should call the Pennines and Hadrian’s Wall something else if they want to put Caers in them (but I guess that's a minor point).

Some historians consider that Arthur was actually a Welsh "King" (or, atleast, a tribal leader) rather than an English one, so I guess that fits. The inclusion of "highlanders" (an obviously Scottish inspired people) in the middle of Wales is, I guess, a little confusing, but the game's history says they moved from their native lands (presumably in Scotland) seeking the protection of Camelot, and to serve it, so that makes it ok ;).

And apparently they're missing a big castle in Salisbury plains called Sarum (now Old Sarum) (amazing what a google search of your Char names will turn up)...

Old Sarum, a possible Caer Guorthigirn

Apparently there has been a big fort there since about 1000 BC, occupied at some point or other by every invader and raider that decided they would like an English Lawn (or more likely, some English cash and women)...

The centre of power in Salisbury was moved south in AD1220 to (oh so originally) New Sarum, now known as the town of Salisbury (although quite when this name change happened I'm not sure, it would appear to be after AD1220 some time)

Right.. that’s enough for now
:sleeping:

T

Teh Fonz!!1

Guys, seriously, read this and see what real fucking idiots people can be when confronted by a question like this.

A

Affri

Validus according to the years you listed it doesn't fit very well with the Midgardians (Vikings) either. The first known raid was on Lindesfarne in 793. When we refer to the Vikings we're talking 800-1050 so this is a bit later than Arthur's death etc.

EDIT : Just thought I might throw this in : No Vikings had horns on their helmets as they're said to have according to myth. However the raid on Lindesfarne and other churches made them look as pure devils ; the devils from the north. Therefore monks started to pray for protection from the devils. Devils have horns, get the picture? Hehe

K

Keri

I found one small mention of lurikeen at the bottom of http://www.tartanplace.com/faery/lepra2.html . It seems lurikeen is a colloqialism for leprechaun, peculiar to County Kildare.

http://www.tartanplace.com/faery/hobg4.html gives the origin of Fir Bolgs, although according to this site, they are a small race, shapeshifters three feet tall.

http://www.tartanplace.com/faery/gobln3.html If you look down at the bottom of this page, there is a reference to kobolds, and it says they are the German equivalent of the American Tommyknockers (does Stephen King play DAoC?).

http://www.tartanplace.com/faery/lunan.html - lunantishees

This whole site has so much information on many of the creatures found on DAoC. If you are interested, just go to http://www.tartanplace.com/faery/monindex.html and start there.

N

Neural Network

Originally posted by Teh Fonz!!1
Guys, seriously, read this and see what real fucking idiots people can be when confronted by a question like this.

Oh yes, this is the good stuff. When different worlds collide, and in this case, with high velocity. So much swearing and bitching and irritating people who wants to be historically correct. Great, just great.

S

Sarum TheBlack

Some people have a real anger problem...

So the thread wasn't the thread they were looking for... (jedi mind trick wavey hand thing)... no need to get so angry about it really was there?

GODDAMN FREAKS!!! :rolleyes:

R

rynnor

Originally posted by Affri
Just thought I might throw this in : No Vikings had horns on their helmets as they're said to have according to myth. However the raid on Lindesfarne and other churches made them look as pure devils ; the devils from the north. Therefore monks started to pray for protection from the devils. Devils have horns, get the picture? Hehe

Hmm - what about the Viking burial treasures found in a mound at Sutton Hoo - I thought one of the bits they found was an ornamental horned helmet?

Its too good an image to discard because of the fashions of historians :)

A

Alrindel

http://www.thetroth.org/resources/ourtroth/viking.html
The dreaded "horned helmet" associated with the Vikings in popular culture was, as most true folk know by now, not actually worn in the Viking Age - and certainly never in battle. No horned helmet from the Viking Age has ever been found. There is a small core of reality behind the fictional "Loyal Order of the Water Buffalo" helms, however. Ritual horned helms were used in Denmark in the Bronze Age (though the bronze horns were shaped far more like lurs than like cow-horns) and archæologists have found several Viking Age male figurines (including one from Kungsängen and one from Ribe) wearing what at first glance appear to be horned helmets. However, a close look at the earlier versions of the figure which appear on items such as the Torslunda helm-plate matrices (Vendel Age) shows that the "horns" are actually tipped with bird-heads; and those on the Ribe figure appear to be whole birds. The heads are hardly recognisable on the Kungsängen figurine, but if one has the other images to compare it with, it can be seen that the slightly forked tips of the "horns" are probably meant to show open beaks. In fact, it is likely that these images may originally have shown either Óðinn himself, with his two ravens flanking his head, or else an Óðinn-warrior ritually decked out to resemble the god - a far cry from Hägar the Horrible and his cow-horn headgear!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom