DAoC

svartalf

Can't get enough of FH
Just reading the words "Matt Frior" makes my stomach turn. I really gave a shit about this rubbish, didn't I? How foolish of me.
Devs reminisce on Dark Age of Camelot's 10th birthday

by Jef Reahard on Oct 10th 2011 1:00PM

Fantasy, Dark Age of Camelot, Culture, MMO industry, News items

Dark Age of Camelot turns 10 this week, and if that doesn't make you feel old, well, you're probably not very old (and while we're at it, kindly remove yourself from our lawn). At any rate, Scott Jennings waxes nostalgic about the fantasy RvR title on his personal blog by posting a remembrance from original Mythic producer Matt Firor.

The piece is heavy on the meta details, and a read-through will give you an idea of how drastically the MMO industry has changed over the past decade. Firor talks about Mythic's scramble to meet the crushing demand for more servers and the resulting mad dash for the nearest computer retailer to purchase a dozen desktops that were quickly loaded with Linux and whipped into an ad-hoc server cluster.
There are more interesting details, of course, and you can read them all at Broken Toys. http://www.darkageofcamelot.com
http://www.darkageofcamelot.com

Everz

FH is my second home
It was the shit, probably still is the shit. Nowt can change that.

chipper

Can't get enough of FH
wont let me load the blog :( has it really been 10 years? wow i do feel old

Shagrat

I am a FH squatter
10 years :( and mmo's have gone backward not forward since then. no innovation, dead concept :(

best mmo moments are still mostly (like 90%) DAoC.... :worthy::worthy:

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
It's not a matter of if it's innovative or not. It's a matter of what works for as many players as possible.

Boring yes, but money dictates the rules.

LordjOX

Part of the furniture
There was some really funny stories from Scott Jennings of the start of DAoC and how incredibly unprepared and surprised they were of its success

Aada

Part of the furniture
Any stories on how they fucked the entire game up with ToA?

DAOC dropped like a lead fart almost immediately after that expansion came out, it still makes me angry today how they thought of that expansion EVER doing anything good.

''hey guys lets make an expansion where all our players are forced to PVE for a month or more instead of RVR''

I still have nightmares today of trying to get into groups with my SB so i could do the mls, after a week i was so fucking depressed with it, subscription cancelled and didn't play the game again until March this year when i subbed again for 4 months. Still the same old problems were there, OP to fuck classes come to mind.

They had a great RVR system all they had to do was tweak it a little, they actually didn't need to add any PVE content but nah they choose to anyway thus hanging DAOC by the balls the day that expansion was ever thought of.

Sad thing is we probably would have seen a DAOC 2 by now if things didn't go the way it did, such is life eh?

Punishment

Resident Freddy
Toa wasn't so bad it juts needed to be simpler, cata and dr/LotM were imo more damaging to the game as they introduced the bastardisation of all the classes and introduced the labirinth

Exioce

Part of the furniture
Our guild struggled through TOA three times, each time some members quit and we recruited replacements. NF did us in though.

Aada

Part of the furniture
Toa wasn't so bad it juts needed to be simpler, cata and dr/LotM were imo more damaging to the game as they introduced the bastardisation of all the classes and introduced the labirinth

No, TOA was horrible if you weren't in a guild to the point of it being almost impossible to complete, and as a Shadowblade? yeah you were at the bottom of any group invite, i know many friends who quit 2 weeks after the expansion released and never ever came back.

LordjOX

Part of the furniture
Well tbh, the idea of ToA was very good... The PvE content was also good and artifacts + ML's made RvR itself more complex and fresh. But since ToA gear was needed for RvR and it being so hard and time consuming to obtain then ofc players lost heart. If they had given the opportunity to get artifacts and ML's using glass as an alternative, I think it would have been much more popular

Other games have solved this with dedicated PvP gear not attainable in PvE

Turamber

Part of the furniture
Way, way, way too much grind involved in Trials of Atlantis. Doing master levels on alts became a horrible pain, as did levelling artifacts. I don't think the people running the game actually understood their customers.

LordjOX

Part of the furniture
Remember that it was different times back then. What other games could they compare themselves to? EQ/UO? Problem is that the devs didn't see what kind of audience daoc had back then. ToA would probably be an awesome expansion for EQ, having mainly pve players. And by all means, it was an awesome PvE expansion

Calaen

I am a massive cock who isn't firing atm!
I enjoyed TOA :p Granted getting the artifacts could have been a bit more simple, and they probably should have all been made to level from any kind of experience gained. But the zones were brilliant and really did add an extra depth to the game. and i fooking hate pve :p Went back last year with a few guys who had never lpayed it and they were blown away by the size of the game.

Unfortunately because time has moved no the game while still amazing, feels slow and clunky. Someone needs to win the lottery, then get DAOC 2 done!!!

Madmaxx

FH is my second home
aww man not another "nostalgia" thread, you old fogeys :eek:

images

Calaen

I am a massive cock who isn't firing atm!
Reading that gave me Goosebumps :p

Everz

FH is my second home
Our guild struggled through TOA three times, each time some members quit and we recruited replacements. NF did us in though.

This was the story all around tbh. ToA we struggled but once we conquered it then it was no problem, but NF was like a big hammer nailing in the coffin, was like the floodgates just opened after that and the guild began to dry up before eventually dying not long after the Catacombs release.

Shame.

Vasconcelos

Part of the furniture
the mmo player base was growing mature, looking for different type of mmo game. Mythic didnt know how to adapt and even more, made a step backwards with ToA.

Funny tho, if they launched the expansions, specially ToA and NF, as theyr are right now, i bet we would be playing DAOC2 beta ;)

CorNokZ

Currently a stay at home dad
Yeah, it is crazy busy.. No really, the server is dead. If you reactivate you will be able to transfer your characters over to the US server cluster called Ywain, which is quite busy

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom