DAoC --> WoW

Archeon

Fledgling Freddie
I'll say the same thing i've said on the other 5 or 6 posts asking, i'll try it but I won't decide until i've decided whether I like it or not.

yaruar

Can't get enough of FH
it's a wait and see with me. It looks interesting at the moment, although so did SWG and when it came out it just didn't appeal.

Have a few reservations, but will see.

Interested in Darkfall myself but not sure it will get a decent playerbase...

Although i'm going to stick with DAoC until i stop enjoying it.

I might even just stop MMORPG's when i get fed up with DAoC it's my first and i suspect when I get bored of it I will be bored with any other mmorpgs.

Archeon

Fledgling Freddie
xxManiacxx said:
I won´t play it... Only PvP is in arenas

Though if you think about it same can be said for DAoC, only difference is that here the 'arenas' are large and made to look like they're an extension of the land they've been attached too ;)

Coccas

Loyal Freddie
Beta will last for atleast another 4 months so dont start saying that its gonna suck or that its gonna rock. IMO.
I'm gonna try it and see if i like it or not.

Daedalus

Can't get enough of FH
WoW will be mainly PvE focused. PvP will be implemented through dueling and probably arena's. WoW's main feature will be it's content. Whatever that'll be.

However, it seems like a fun game, but I'm not sure if I'll stick more than 2 or 3 months, or more than 1 character.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
I have given up on MMORPG's for a year, WoW does appeal to me but the grind of DAoC has killed PvE for me at the moment. Hopefully in 12 months I will feel like leveling and enjoying PvE again.

Skilgannon

Fledgling Freddie
Probably the same number of people that 'left' for SWG...and then came back. Or was it Shadowbane?

So many games that were going to kill DAoC ;)

Damon_D

Fledgling Freddie
As if we dont have enough freaking mob bashing in daoc allready.....
Nope you prob wont see me in WOW.....

Nxs

One of Freddy's beloved
Who said yes to leaving for SWG
Who said yes to leaving for FFXI

Yup i did both, but came back to DAOC in the end, you really get used to DAOC's interfact and systems, its pretty hard to leave. Im definetly not going to even consider anything new now till after Frontiers hits the UK

gervaise

Fledgling Freddie
Daedalus said:
WoW will be mainly PvE focused. PvP will be implemented through dueling and probably arena's. WoW's main feature will be it's content. Whatever that'll be.

However, it seems like a fun game, but I'm not sure if I'll stick more than 2 or 3 months, or more than 1 character.

There are posts regarding Blizzard's plans regarding PvP beyond dueling. The intent being to create balanced Alliance vs. Horde groups via the use of generated minions. Essentially a Warcraft concept. Nothing is in open beta yet though so its a 'watch this space' job.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Damon_D said:
As if we dont have enough freaking mob bashing in daoc allready.....
Nope you prob wont see me in WOW.....

Agleed :)

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Why would i leave DAoC for WoW?

I don't like the -World- of Warcraft.

I don't play DAoC.

I wait for my FFXI machine.

EDITORIAL: Oh and...if DAoC gets a boost in stuff 'n stuff...i'll be back.

Ailil

Fledgling Freddie
Well, WoW are going to try a PvP server in the beta test and it seems they're fairly open to suggestions for both PvE and PvP.

WoW seems a lot of fun so far, I thought I didn't have it in my to play another MMORPG, but am now pretty certain I'll be on WoW in some form or other. Of course they're tweaking WoW all the time and the latest push has quite some changes - will have to see how they affect things.

Amelyn

Fledgling Freddie
I won´t play it... Only PvP is in arenas

Where do you I-won't-play-cuz-there-is-no-PvP-only-in-arena-or-duel-guys get your information?
Please link me to that source :eek:
Seen it numerous times on these forums.

Yeah sure at the moment in the Beta there is no "roam-around-PvP" available, but it is infact a beta test and not a final product.

This is the official info available regarding PvP

We know that the player vs. player (PvP) option is very important to many gamers. Therefore, we plan to incorporate a form of player conflict into the World of Warcraft. However, players who do not wish to be participate in PvP combat will not be required to do so. The PvP system will be incorporated in a consensual way that will be fun for those who wish to take part in this form of combat. Announcements regarding PvP options in the World of Warcraft will be announced in the months ahead.

It's impossible to read what kinds of PvP is available from this statement. DAoC RvR fits in the desciption above, and so does Anarchy Online PvP.
Before deciding whether to play a game or not, thats in a beta state, based on non-official information I suggest you wait for the official information from blizzard.com

Peace bro's :fluffle:

Ralgedi Smurf

One of Freddy's beloved
Ill try it out for sure :)

About the RvR/PvE thing in Wow, atm its seems like it will be small arenas only, but i think blizzard have something hidden in their sleeves, Afterall allrdy now horde and alliance cant team up together and if you read the class description's on the site some of the abilitys etc. sounds pretty pvp oriented.

its warcraft after all, have to be alliance vs horde, otherwise it would be plain wrong :)

Daedalus

Can't get enough of FH
Amelyn said:
Where do you I-won't-play-cuz-there-is-no-PvP-only-in-arena-or-duel-guys get your information?
They're really things that you pick up by following certain fan-made server projects, checking out the packets being send/received, listening to other people, gathering information from forums and chatrooms.

The fact is, WoW is simply PvE orientated. Whereas with DAoC you basically level to 50 to have another option besides PvE, RvR'ing. Instead of bashing mobs you get to bash players. In WoW, you start with PvE and end with PvE. That's what the game is about, exploration and questing. PvP will be placen somewhere between that, thru special PvP zones, or maybe RvR through some sort of GM driven quest/story, who knows?

However, as Blizzard says themselves:
"We know that the player vs. player (PvP) option is very important to many gamers".

Now, regardless wether dueling is implemented on the current official beta server or not, the fan-made beta servers simply announces the player hostile. So yeah, PvP is implemented in the client, but the only shape the server(s) current support is thru dueling. (On the fan-made servers, you basically 'flag' yourself as PvPable). The way the game is made doesn't seem like it's going to allow horde vs alliance/RvR as we know it, at least, not uppon the release. Maybe later thru an add-on. Compared to DAoC, the PvP element in WoW will have a much lower priority than the PvE element. I don't have any problems with that, as long as the PvE element in WoW isn't that.. mindless.. as in other MMORPGs. Whereas you bash mobs in DAoC to get XP and level up, WoW will hopefully add a great fun factor to that.

Daedalus

Can't get enough of FH
Ralgedi Smurf said:
Ill try it out for sure :)

About the RvR/PvE thing in Wow, atm its seems like it will be small arenas only, but i think blizzard have something hidden in their sleeves, Afterall allrdy now horde and alliance cant team up together and if you read the class description's on the site some of the abilitys etc. sounds pretty pvp oriented.

its warcraft after all, have to be alliance vs horde, otherwise it would be plain wrong :)
Check the start towns on the WoW map. Alliance and Horde starttowns are mixed throughout the world, some towns are basically next to eachother. I think that they'll implement Alliance vs Horde in some way, at some time, but probably not this year or this release.

Archeon

Fledgling Freddie
You'd actually think that 'Arena' based PvP would actually follow the 8v8 style of play better than Emain does.

Like the idea of the Rock > Scissors(sp?) > Paper class setup, probably easier than trying desperatly to balance all the classes on a razor thin knife edge like Mythic tries to do.

Amelyn

Fledgling Freddie
Teh FnoRd said:
Cheers fnord.
This page pretty much let's u know that there won't only be Duels and Arenas, but also instanced PvP areas.
However..
  1. Its an idea from an alfa/beta stage
  2. It is info from an unofficial fan site, yeah its a big site but still
  3. It's not the first time fansites claim its "100% correct official info from developer" seen it before from other games ie Diablo 2, that later on showed to be incorrect.
Daedalus said:
They're really things that you pick up by following certain fan-made server projects, checking out the packets being send/received, listening to other people, gathering information from forums and chatrooms.
That doesn't seem like very definate info imo.

Im not saying im right and you are wrong tho.
But I wouldn't at this stage decide wheter to play or not based on info that isnt posted at the games Official FAQ/info/whatever

Garok

Can't get enough of FH
Archeon said:
You'd actually think that 'Arena' based PvP would actually follow the 8v8 style of play better than Emain does.

Like the idea of the Rock > Scissors(sp?) > Paper class setup, probably easier than trying desperatly to balance all the classes on a razor thin knife edge like Mythic tries to do.

A good point ...

So prehaps if you want a control'd 8v8 Enviroment were you would get no adds etc .. then you would go to fight in the Arena's.

If you wanted larger scale PvP you would go to one of the various dungeon's/Areas that allow for PvP
(I remember reading somewere that they will try to balance the numbers in thses zones).

So could cater for most Peoples tastes.

Also both hord an alliences hare the same base classes (apart from shamen and paladin) which should help any balance

nikolas

Fledgling Freddie
I'm waiting for Darkfall, it's been planned / developed for the last 6 years ;) Far more hack and slash than WoW will ever be :D

Ok, I must admit the fact that you can chop peoples heads off is making me more excited than anything else :D

Roo Stercogburn

Resident Freddy
Will be in WoW for sure, at least to try it out. The environment looks good and the implementation seems to be progressing nicely. Making a Horde roleplay guild with some friends.

Blizzard taking a lot of notes from players and sometimes their turnaround on implementing stuff that players ask for in beta is frighteningly fast from what I've been reading on the various forums.

Whether I stay in WoW will remain to be seen. Nobody can know until they've tried the full release product for at least 3 months but hopefully you'll be seeing an Undead Warlock called Roo kicking about :)

I didn't leave for SWG but I did enjoy trying it out. It wasn't the content but the interface (I despise the kludgy interfaces Verant come up with, even since being bought by Sony) and not having any friends there that made me just stop playing alongside DAoC.

Papa Cho, you'd better put in an appearance, I want to take the piss out of you and Nico at the same time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom