DAoC worldwide server populations

Claudius

Fledgling Freddie
US servers lost a third of its player base... think we will see the same here in EU once we get a few of the coming patches.

Ilienwyn

Fledgling Freddie
Claudius said:
US servers lost a third of its player base... think we will see the same here in EU once we get a few of the coming patches.

And even more with release of euro WoW! :)

Bracken

Fledgling Freddie
Bound to lose people after NF - game has altered, plus ofc with WoW. Question is what effect Catacombs will have. Either way, NF ain't going to be finishing anytime soon.

Blitzing

Fledgling Freddie
Bracken said:
Bound to lose people after NF - game has altered, plus ofc with WoW. Question is what effect Catacombs will have. Either way, NF ain't going to be finishing anytime soon.

well by the time they get catacombs translated and released, daoc is long dead

tierk

Part of the furniture
Claudius said:

Dont hold yer breath for those patches.

Bracken

Fledgling Freddie
Blitzing said:

Don't be silly. It's still ahead of most of the opposition. It's changed sure, and some will leave because of that. Some will leave because of WoW. Some who would have left if nothing had changed are staying. So the question is how many new players will be drawn in by Catacombs. And the d00msayers who are judging that already are just daft. It will largely depend (in terms of new players) on the reviews it receives.

Das_Hibbie

Fledgling Freddie
I just hope they would release a Daoc 2. Would surely get Daoc on the top. I miss the old Daoc. So much :(

Wiro

Fledgling Freddie
Das_Hibbie said:
I just hope they would release a Daoc 2. Would surely get Daoc on the top. I miss the old Daoc. So much :(

Where is the logic in wanting DAoC 2 if you miss old DAoC? :p

oblimov

Luver of Buckfast
maybe not that clear an indicator as people sell accts and so it looks like no one has left when in fact a few have left the game just not their chars

if you know what i mean :)

Garbannoch

Fledgling Freddie
the numbers used in the statistics are the number of accounts logged in at time X. (for example if you start daoc and go to the server selection window you can see the current number of logged in accounts for each server - and this is exactly the number these statistics are using).
While this is not the same as active accounts (ie accounts mythic get money for) my guess is it comes very close nonetheless (ie accounts that are active but not played are a small minority - and if so it is usually limited to a certain period of time (ie until the account's subscription is running out)).

Claudius

Fledgling Freddie
tierk said:
Dont hold yer breath for those patches.

What I mean is that in US they didnt start loosing players until 1.71 and especially 1.72. Its plausible that the same thing will happen in EU.

Gibbo

Fledgling Freddie
What is maybe interesting is that although the trend for all the US Servers is downwards the drop for Average Users (light green) is much less steep than the Maximum Users (dark green) figure and in most cases the 2 peaks are nearer together now.

Ronso

Can't get enough of FH
Blitzing said:

I know some of you will disagree here but I think he is right..

I think a huge amount of people have already left daoc and most are hanging in there until christmas to pass the time before switching to wow ..then after a few months of wow people who refused to leave before will become bored with same oul same oul and fed up being surrounded by faces they dont recognise ..and migrate wow 2

but what will happen is food chain style ..wow after a year or 3 will become mebbe repetitve and / or they will fuck it up royal and mebbe mythic will have a new online game soon to be released around then are we will jump ship again ..back and forth as at the end of the day keeping ourselves entertained is ours and their priority ..mythic will more than likely lose us this time after getting 3 good years out of us and the same will happen to blizzard but i reckon at some stage we will be back on the mythic bandwagon..just an opinion

im right what ?

Gethin

Fledgling Freddie
Alot of people are assuming that WoW is actually going to be a good game!
Blizzard dont exactly have a good record with online games (Diablo and Diablo2) and if im right in saying this is their first MMORPG (I dont count Diablo2 as a MMORPG as it wasnt a persistent world).

Im not saying blizzard are a shite software house, far from it in fact, they are one of the best around. The thing that concerns me is their lack of expertise in the MMORPG arena and their failures with other online games.

Another thing to consider..

When DAoC first appeared numerous people quit EQ\UO etc to go play it. Many returned to the original games within a couple of months as DAoC wasnt what they expected. Rather than say DAoC is dying wait a few months after the release of WoW and see if the numbers online remain the same. If they do then you might find mythic slowly winding down DAoC.

Abel

Fledgling Freddie
UO is still running after 8 years so there is no need to think up doom scenario's. But even the biggest DAoC fanboy has to admit the game is slowly going downhill (subscriber-wise) and WoW is going to be BIG.

Alot of people are assuming that WoW is actually going to be a good game!

WoW has already become the biggest MMORPG release in history, and one of the biggest PC releases ever. And the reviews it is getting are equally sky-high :

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/worldofwarcraft/index.html

Gamespot is not exactly a site that gives high scores, EQ2 walked away with a 7.8/10.
Also notice the reader "ratings", an never-seen-before 3000 ppl have already voted on the game giving it an exceptional 9.1/10 average score (EQ2 got 6.9/10 from the readers). This means at the least at the initial stage WoW is a blast. Retention rate will only become clear on the long term of course.

WoW *is* going to take away a lot of DAoC players, the DAoC subscriber rate *is* going to slide downhill, or maybe already is. UO, EQ and AC have all already been going downhill for a while now, it's only a matter of logic that DAoC does too or will in the near future.

Still I think the game has a couple of years to go before they have to start closing servers. And the final death might take a real long time, hard to say frankly.

Gibbo

Fledgling Freddie
Can only be good people leaving DAoC.

Less People = Smaller and Less Zergs :D

Danya

Fledgling Freddie
Gethin said:
When DAoC first appeared numerous people quit EQ\UO etc to go play it. Many returned to the original games within a couple of months as DAoC wasnt what they expected. Rather than say DAoC is dying wait a few months after the release of WoW and see if the numbers online remain the same. If they do then you might find mythic slowly winding down DAoC.
The numbers don't support that conclusion: http://www.mmogchart.com/Chart2.html

EQ in particular showed little impact from DAoC starting up.

Abel

Fledgling Freddie
One reason for this is that many people who try out new MMORPGs keep their old subscriptions running for a while to stay in touch with their old community or to jump back in case they dislike the new game. Subscriptions just don't get cancelled suddenly en masse.

Huntingtons

Resident Freddy
Ronso said:
I know some of you will disagree here but I think he is right..

I think a huge amount of people have already left daoc and most are hanging in there until christmas to pass the time before switching to wow ..then after a few months of wow people who refused to leave before will become bored with same oul same oul and fed up being surrounded by faces they dont recognise ..and migrate wow 2

but what will happen is food chain style ..wow after a year or 3 will become mebbe repetitve and / or they will fuck it up royal and mebbe mythic will have a new online game soon to be released around then are we will jump ship again ..back and forth as at the end of the day keeping ourselves entertained is ours and their priority ..mythic will more than likely lose us this time after getting 3 good years out of us and the same will happen to blizzard but i reckon at some stage we will be back on the mythic bandwagon..just an opinion

im right what ?

in fact mythic is working on a new MMORPG, some futuristic stuff afaik (something about roman empire didn't has it downfall iirc)

Aussie

Banned
US got like 20k players
EU like 25k
no idea about the chinees ><

Bloodaxe_Springskalle

Fledgling Freddie
Bracken said:
Don't be silly. It's still ahead of most of the opposition. It's changed sure, and some will leave because of that. Some will leave because of WoW. Some who would have left if nothing had changed are staying. So the question is how many new players will be drawn in by Catacombs. And the d00msayers who are judging that already are just daft. It will largely depend (in terms of new players) on the reviews it receives.

well, where to begin... mythic started out pretty good, followed the guaranteed road to success ; "KISS" (KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID)
ive been liking daoc less by every patch they make stuff more complicated, but it was fine until ToA came along with tons of new and confusing not to forget imbalancing abilities.
to top that icing they delivered the death blow with NF, at least for me.
nothing about daoc is simple anymore, it isnt relaxing and it brings on a stress factor due to the eternal relic ghost haunting us.
teleport here and there just makes it all even more silly imho.
"must defend keeps, must attack keeps, must have relic...."
to round off, NF promised large scale war, well it didnt disappoint in that departement, now theres never 5 minutes of peace at all as the processors around europe cough along on red framerate.
have fun, ive fled to a more peacefull place (camlann)

Danya

Fledgling Freddie
Aussie said:
US got like 20k players
EU like 25k
no idea about the chinees ><
That's simultaneous logins, the chart shows subscriptions which is a completely different thing.

Sabu said:
Final Fantasy XI 550.000
Everquest 420.000
SWG 275.000
Daoc 250.000

Are you sure about these numbers?
Yeah reasonably sure, why, what's wrong with them?

Asha

Fledgling Freddie
well who cares about subs (Mythic I guess), players care about logins

Gargul

Fledgling Freddie
Huntingtons said:
in fact mythic is working on a new MMORPG, some futuristic stuff afaik (something about roman empire didn't has it downfall iirc)

yeap and so far it is only PVE...with no near intention to make it PvP..:)

Danya

Fledgling Freddie
Asha said:
well who cares about subs (Mythic I guess), players care about logins
No long term data for logins sadly. :( In fact I don;t think sony even publish login numbers for EQ servers, unlike DAoC. :eek:

Treyguard

Fledgling Freddie
Danya said:
The numbers don't support that conclusion: http://www.mmogchart.com/Chart2.html

EQ in particular showed little impact from DAoC starting up.

Actually that data shows little impact on most games caused by any other game starting. As you said EQ wasn't particularly affected by DAoC, just as UO wasn't affected by EQ.

The Sims seems to have been hit by SWG, but then again it could just have been a big bag of arse, because it looks to be dying a slow and painful death.

DAoC looks like it was affected by final fantasy XI and possibly runescape, but that seems to be a 1 off blip as far as DAoC goes - after that fall, numbers subscribed to DAoC rise steadily to where they were.

In fact only 1 game, out of all the ones listed, seem to be at all regularly and strognly affected by other games, and that is Starwars Galaxies. It was launched, got a huge rush of people (probably due to the hype and the "it's Starwars!" factor) but since then it's been hit by all the games that have come out since. (ie CoH, WoW and EQ2) only to recover it's subscription numbers between each.

Having said that, going purely from that data the only thing you can really conclude is that the total number of mmorpg subscriptions is skyrocketing and as a rule no game is particularly strongly affected by the launch of a new game.
So either that graph is made from fantasy data or those banging on about how all games will die with the coming of WoW need a good slap and to be told to lay off the sugar :p I know which one I prefer ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom