DAoC more popular?

• Yes, especially with EA publishing!

Votes: 118 74.7%
  • No!!11

Votes: 40 25.3%

• Total voters

AngelHeal

Part of the furniture
If DAoC didn;t excist for the last 4/5 years.

And it would be scheduled to release in fall 2006.
With all the excisting patches etc.

How popular would you recon the game would be?
I mean, DAoC graphics are really awesom. just look at the caracter details, and the warlock pbaoe... the towers, horses buildings, capital cities etc.

Do you think DAoC would be a much bigger game then?

Razemouze

Fledgling Freddie
Well, i think so. If only they had the money to promote the game like blizzard did with wow :p

rah

Fledgling Freddie
And then see what happened to wow, i think the majority of current daocplayerbase would play some other game if we got the zounds of immature players that wow has!

Darzil

Fledgling Freddie
DAoC's main strength is it's complexity - makes it a bit harder to get into, but gives lots of possibilities, and thus long term interest.

Recent changes have made the introduction to the game much better than it used to be, so if DAoC was launched as is now, it'd be better. Plus, if it was launched (or relaunched) now, you'd get low level groups, as there would be more new people to group with.

Darzil

Razemouze

Fledgling Freddie
I've never played wow and never will. I didnt say i wanted more imature kids brought to the game but more ppl would not hurt.

old.Whoodoo

Can't get enough of FH
Nothing is liek DAoC, I think its edge comes from the 3 sides to the story, something I feel should have carried over to WHO, so many games lean towards good/evil and light/dark scenarios, DAoC was the first (afaik) to give us 3 "good" sides to fight with.

WoW like many other MMOs just took the best from them all and slapped them together, nothing new to it really when you look at it, and its laffable when people say "XXXMMO copied WoW!! haha! LOL!!".

If DAoC was launched today with the right advertising it would make severe waves in the gaming industry as a whole. I still beleive to this day, if Mythic put some dosh into advertising they could still improve the player base, but it will never happen.

ps, i pressed the wrong button on the vote, oopsy

Chronictank

FH is my second home
Thadius said:
WoW gives mmorpgs a bad name :(
not really, wow is the most succesful mmporg around because it appealed to people who normally wouldnt even look at RPG's. Therefore by default wow was superior to every other mmporg that has been released so far.
Just because you dont like it, doesnt mean its not better as the thousands of people buying it making it the best seller in game shops for months disagree with you

Thadius

Part of the furniture
Chronictank said:
not really, wow is the most succesful mmporg around because it appealed to people who normally wouldnt even look at RPG's. Therefore by default wow was superior to every other mmporg that has been released so far.
Just because you dont like it, doesnt mean its not better as the thousands of people buying it making it the best seller in game shops for months disagree with you

No, its because Blizzard got there finger out and advertised it, every fucking thing in the country was hyping it to the moon(probably with a few backhanders)

If G.O.A bothered to advertise, you would rake it in.

You explain to somebody, especially those roleplaying types you find in Games Workshop that you can BE a Knight, you would lap it up.

Blizzard did that and exploited a huge market. Plus the fact it looks like something you find on CBeebies kinda helps, appeals to the kids

Wazkyr

One of Freddy's beloved
EA know how to publish, GoA/Mythic got no clue what so ever, even with daoc in beta it would have dragged more, with ppl seeing it around. So id guess there would be alot bigger player base (maybe 2-3 times as many) if it was released now, with some PR first ofc.
But just the fact that its old scares alot of ppl away, who wanna start in what some nerds call an "mmorpg" thats "4 years old" thats like ancient in the computer business. Daoc wont drag any new faces to the genre

Void959

Fledgling Freddie
Yes I think so, but with poor advertising and the fact that many people assume old = bad, there's not enough inflow of new players to keep the majority of new players playing for long, there needs to be a critical mass so they can form exp groups etc which there simple isn't anymore.

Rhana

Fledgling Freddie
If it would be scheduled to release in fall 2006 with everything included (classic as a light version I gues)

Dont forget that it would be so many more players aswell, more then it was at its real start as more people is bound to have good conections now and would therefor considering to play a game like daoc.

So, a good looking game, with alot of the old and irritating bugs (finaly) worked out of the game, good mass-PvP

Yes, I think it would be great.. so good that the numbers of servers wouldnt be enough

Mas

One of Freddy's beloved
Push now for a greater playerbase, theres still life in daoc yet, and with more ppl expansions/addons and future toa made even easier patches it will appeal to a greater audience. As from a standpoint now lvling the normal way then artis/scrolls ml's , cl's etc is a huuuuge timesink before anyone is rvr acceptable.

Teh FnoRd

Fledgling Freddie
Thadius said:
Disneyland Online?
if they improved the dead ugleh artwork ( my opinion ofc yaddidyaddi mooh ) it might qualify as that ^^

Tesla Monkor

Fledgling Freddie
Well, seeing as there is basically no advertisement at the moment, anything EA can do for the game is better than what we have right now.

However, EA will be advertising for MYTHIC, and not for GOA, I would think.

AngelHeal

Part of the furniture
Tesla Monkor said:
Well, seeing as there is basically no advertisement at the moment, anything EA can do for the game is better than what we have right now.

However, EA will be advertising for MYTHIC, and not for GOA, I would think.

goa is france telecom right?

I heard that company got bought aswell.

AngelHeal

Part of the furniture
Dallas said:
New expansion coming out this fall, if mythic and EA work together, and the expansion is a pve expansion that makes 1-50 more newbie friendly, THEN they have a good chance to actually drag alot of players in.. But prolly wont happen :(

Only thing to save daoc is a path with:

DAOC game: 40€ all on it etc. `14 days trial even.
With new patch: makes 1-50 see allot more of the mainland instead of 5 dungeons. (the instances)

And like 1903507175913 commercials, but then warhammer wouldn't do good..

:eek7: :mad:

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
the only reason 1-50 isn't newbie friendly at the moment is the lack of newbies.

Course that's a catch 22 ;)

Thadius

Part of the furniture
Flimgoblin said:
the only reason 1-50 isn't newbie friendly at the moment is the lack of newbies.

Course that's a catch 22 ;)

Agreed, powerleveling for the lose!

Chronictank

FH is my second home
Thadius said:
No, its because Blizzard got there finger out and advertised it, every fucking thing in the country was hyping it to the moon(probably with a few backhanders)

If G.O.A bothered to advertise, you would rake it in.

You explain to somebody, especially those roleplaying types you find in Games Workshop that you can BE a Knight, you would lap it up.

Blizzard did that and exploited a huge market. Plus the fact it looks like something you find on CBeebies kinda helps, appeals to the kids
if people didnt like it why would they still play it?
im not a wow "fanboi", but numbers dont lie
WoW does not suck by any means of the imagination as it is a far greater success than any of its predesessors in a already populated market.
Blizzard were better at advertising it, yes
but if it was really as poor as people here (who evidently have no clue whatsoever if you take into account they are the minority), say it is then people would simply get bored and stop playing.
As it happens, they arent bored, they are still playing and every new expansion goes straight into the top 20 selling games

Aeris

Fledgling Freddie
Chronictank said:
As it happens, they arent bored, they are still playing and every new expansion goes straight into the top 20 selling games

hmm aint they yet to release an expansion? :p

Thorwyn

FH is my second home
New expansion coming out this fall, if mythic and EA work together, and the expansion is a pve expansion that makes 1-50 more newbie friendly, THEN they have a good chance to actually drag alot of players in.. But prolly wont happen

I doubt that.
A new player doesn´t even know how long it takes to level from 1-50 becase he´s got no comparsion and no experience and he doesn´t know what he´s expecting at lvl 50 in RvR. For a new player, the pace of a game is not relevant because there´s loads to explore and find out before you´re actually levelling up and when you do, you´re simultaneously exploring the world, which "numbs" the objective feel for time. I mean... how much easier than instance dungeons with constant supply of yellow con mobs can you get?

It´s the other way round actually. The level grind from 1-50 is an annoyance for OLD players, who´re used to their lvl 50 RR9 toons and can´t stand the idea of going through all this levelling again. They´ve seen it all and there´s nothing new for them... which is the prime prerequisite for boredom.

Manisch Depressiv

Part of the furniture
AngelHeal said:
I mean, DAoC graphics are really awesom. just look at the caracter details, and the warlock pbaoe... the towers, horses buildings, capital cities etc.

DAoC gfx are so awesome that everybody who wants to enjoy the game properly and doesn't have the cash for a Cray runs the ToA client and not this piece of shit bloated DR client that is also simulating a fish aquarium.

Try an other game like WoW, GW or EVE on the same machine to see how bad DAoC performs on the gfx level.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom