DAoC Nation

B

Brinx

Myself and a few others, including Trebz, moved over from DAoC USA after being there since release to the EU servers (playing keep clearing dogsbody to the USA guilds isn't much fun). We noticed that there wasn't much, if anything, in the way of a news/info site specific to the Euro version and servers.

So under the influcence of much coffee and under the agreement that Barrysworld would host it, Trebz began coding up DAoC Nation. We ran it and worked out ideas for content between us for a while but most of the people who were down for helping out with news, articles etc unfortunately backed out when it came to actually doing the work required. As you can imagine, a community site without people writing for it isn't much fun for anyone so we kept searching about in, the then, pretty small community for people to help out. Step forward a few weeks and both myself and Trebz have had to stop actively playing in the game (myself due to RSI problems with playing too much DAoC in too much days and Trebz because of losing interest in playing a game that he doesn't have enough free hours in the day to keep up with, lvls and in-game involvement wise).

The result of this is the site's currently lying dormant, which doesn't make a lot of sense especially seeing as BW is to be the new unofficial community place for DAoC Euro. So we're looking for people to take it up.

Currently the site resides at DAoC Nation but Barrysworld already own http://www.daocnation.com which, when live, it will move to properly.

As the site is hosted by BW, it also will have the benefit of being able to be linked to and from both these forums and the main BW site. It primarily uses the Neville web-based website admin system (created and coded by Trebz) which is actively in use, and has been for some time, on other Barrysworld hosted 'Nation sites' such as technation, quakenation, tribesnation and so on (see links to them from the main BW pages). It's a pretty comprehensive tool that allows easy administration and input into the site, such as adding in news and articles, with user based rights and permissions etc. I've found it easy to use and obviously Trebz likes it ;)

So what we're looking for is some serious and committed people to do it. What's needed is one person to overall run the site (make sure people are doing what needs to be done, admin the site generally and stear it in the direction it needs to go) and others to write news pieces (RvR goings on, patch info and opinions, realm happenings, big guild achievements, technical changes etc etc) and articles (class guilds, zone/area guides, RvR guides, keep a good map selection in place, newbie guilds and so on). While articles could easily be a one off submitted by someone, it's obviously essential that people doing regular things like news and other info aren't going to get bored and walk off when they realise that actual writing is involved ;)

If anyone's interested please send an e-mail to brinx@daocnation.com and trebz@daocnation.com.

It'd be a shame to leave the site wasted as it's already got the basics there and could serve as a good community hub for everyone with some work.

S

Son

Thats a lovely shade of lilac, very ummmm feminine ;)

S

SFXman

Looks quite nice indeed, I just have to ask about the login... I only have a a login to the forums, not BW. So when the new changes you said in the announcements come around, I just create a BW membership for myself then integrate this forum one into it?
Can I register at BW now already?

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Yes,

and when we merge forums to BW membership you will not lose your forum name as you can migrate it as only u know the password.

Its only a few days away with a bit of luck.

S

Sar

I'll do some writing for it :)

Playing in 2 realms in 2 guilds atm: Expedient Demise (of which I'm Guild Leader) in Midgard on Prydwen, and Phoenix Rising (of which I'm one of the 8 founder members) in Albion on Excalibur.

S

SFXman

Hmm, nice. Must be quite hard work to keep up with both realm and their guilds :rolleyes:

R

Riddler

wouldnt mind being a writer for that lilac site ;)

S

SFXman

Well actually I would like to be a writer but then again I am definately not an RvR veteran, I don't have very high-level characters and I don't run a guild.
All I have done is played since the early stages of beta and had fun with a variety of classes.
So when I think about it I don't what I could be writing about :(

F

fatgit

heh Id post something if I knew how to format the bloody text :)
Must prod trebz at some point :p

B

Brinx

Thanks to those who replied so far, both on here and by e-mail. I'm keeping a list that I can sort out and pass along once we find someone willing to run the site generally.

S

Sar

If you're gonna delete the post, then at least have the balls to delete its cause too.

Kthnxbi.

S

SFXman

Originally posted by Brinx
Thanks to those who replied so far, both on here and by e-mail. I'm keeping a list that I can sort out and pass along once we find someone willing to run the site generally.
Yeh... good luck with the site :)

O

old.Rohirrim

i must say congraz with these forums, i think there even better than the old ones

and everyone was like "nooooo dont close the forums" glad they did now.
All i have to say is change the colour, it hurts my eyes

S

SFXman

Originally posted by Rohirrim
i must say congraz with these forums, i think there even better than the old ones

and everyone was like "nooooo dont close the forums" glad they did now.
All i have to say is change the colour, it hurts my eyes
Yeah, I really do like these forums, I find that the community so far is quite friendly and such, and on top the color will be changed in a few days as said in another thread.
I myself don't mind this green at all.

S

SFXman

Originally posted by Svarun
Hmmm, so which one will become "official"?

http://www.barrysworld.com/games/daoc/

or

http://www.daocnation.com/
If you ask me, well, neither is official but if you think which will be "official" I'd say the DAoC nation.... simply because the other doesn't have jack information :)
It looks more like an introduction to the game and a few links to the forums etc.
DAoC nation looks like it will be a sort of DAoC stratics of BW.

O

old.Kahless

YAY!!

About time we had a euro news aite to look at . thanks again BW!

:clap:

B

Brinx

Found someone willing to run the site (/wave /cheer Aeiedel) so we're looking to be ready for a proper relaunch soon. Unfortunately he's a Lurikeen but you can't have everything :wub:

So if anyone fancies writing a nice guide on something etc, now would be the time ;)

K

Keri

I would be very happy to do some proofreading/editing for the "lilac site". I am a technical writer and right now, I definitely have the time to help out, and will be able to commit to a few hours a week at any time in the future. The easiest way for me to do it would be for someone to just send me the .txt file.

T

Trebz

Not my fault theres a finite amount of distinctive colours :/ at least its not pink!

A

Aeiedil

cant please everyone trebz :) they dont like green and now not lilac it seems ;)

i think i need to get more sleep in the evenings :s started doing a quick patch summary last night, looked at clock noticed i had to go to college in a few hours, thought i better get some sleep, accidentally copy and paste the text only from dreamweaver :s *argh* there goes the bloody formatting :s

ah well :) its back there now :D a pretty lil summary :)

(in case anyone dosent notice i am a lil biased towards assasians ;) nowt to do with me being one, of course :D)

could *really* do with news writers if nothing else for the other 5 realms

Hib\Pry
Mid\Pry
Alb\Pry

Mid\Exc
Alb\Exc

atm i can only really report on major happenings in hib\exc really :\ at a stretch i may be able to manage mid\exc and hib\pry also, but that still leaves realms with no writers :(

applications on a post card ;)

O

old.ShadowBlood

!

Can you steal some ideas from Camelot Herald!
Thats site is the best..
pls pls pls

A

Aeiedil

i only find camelot herald good for patch news and american server stats etc, it dosent really have much else on, so is more for the american servers (just my opinion). sure i check it most days for the newest patch info but thats about it :)

talking about patches........ *looks for kemor* :p

i wish i knew about how long id have to wait for my new skills :(

O

old.tRoG

good job on daocnation aeiedil! is it me or do i see a news item every day? :)

i feel so darn proud that some of my stuff is on a .com :)

<gives aeiedil a big :fluffle: >

A

Aeiedil

<blushes>

i think theres actually been a news item most days :) im just running outa things now :p dammit i want sommit else to happen ;) i DEMAND that someone goes and kills a damned dragon THIS INSTANT

*waits*

*waits some more*

ok well maybe not right now, but sometime soon :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom