Daoc + Linux

solemnwarning

Fledgling Freddie
Im trying to get daoc working under linux, using wine to run the installer, copying some if the .dlls from the win32 daoc folder and then running the daoc exe with cedega is working ok, except the framerate lags a lot and i had to disable all of graphics things such as reflective water, so it looks kind of like daoc 1, has anyone else had better luck?

Azathrim

Fledgling Freddie
When Intel introduces Virtualisation soon (and AMD following in 2006) you could run Xen under Debian. That's a thin emulation layer, allowing any x86 OS one a virtual machine (or several of them). The support for boring non-server details like graphic and sound is not particular good yet in Xen, but I guess it'll come.

So in theory you install Debian on your box. Then setup Xen and some virtual machines. Then install Windows on one machine, and if feeling funky install FreeBSD on a third and Gentoo on a fourth, perhaps another Windows on a fifth, etc, etc.

Xen is currently working fine, but with virtualisation supported in the CPU things will go much faster. Not to mention Xen will hopefully be updated to have better support for more types of hardware.

My guess is, that sometimes in 2007 it will be feasable to run a setup like the above mentioned for gaming.

solemnwarning

Fledgling Freddie
i want to get rid of my windows install completely, so running windows inside a virtual machine kind of makes it pointless.

Azathrim

Fledgling Freddie
Well, perhaps Wine can benefit from those new features Intel and AMD makes.

But, if you make regular backups of your DAoC files to your Linux disk the problems with Windows can easily go away.

You could forinstance just install windows and turn the virtual machine off. Then makea hard backup of all the files. So whenever Windows screws up, it's just a matter of copying the windows backup back and fetching your DAoC files. That means it's pretty fast to recreate a system.

But yes, I see where you are coming from. Only reason I run Windows is for DAoC too anyways. Would be much easier if DAoC just ran on a proper OS native. :)

GReaper

Part of the furniture
Does regular Wine (not Cedega) actually run DAoC now?

Managed to get the game running in Cedega [thread=21905]ages ago[/thread]. Only problem was that there were bugs (of course), which made things just a little bit too annoying. The ever increasing DAoC bug list for Cedega seems to grow with each list, they don't seem to bother trying to fix them - instead they go for new games to add to their wonderful little list of games they support rather badly.

As for Xen, it'll be nice once Vanderpool/Pacifica processors become more common. I'm personally looking forward to being able to run unmodified guest OSes on the desktop, instead of just modified Linux on the server. :p

solemnwarning

Fledgling Freddie
I just tried running daoc under the new version of cedega (5.0.1)

framerate still sucks :(
and most of graphics fetures dont work

only diff i see is that "Atlantis trees" work in this version
why did goa have to go and use d3d?? :twak:

OpenGL :worthy:

GReaper

Part of the furniture
Just tried Catacombs under Wine 0.9.2 - it runs!

The installer runs fine under wine, however the patcher fails. So use cedega to patch the game fully after installation. Use "wine login.dll" to skip the patcher and go directly to the login screen.

Windowed mode doesn't work (render creation failed problem), however you can enable a virtual desktop in wine so the fullscreen DAoC appears in a special wine window on the desktop. I'm not going to upload a screenshot yet as it puts the account name and password at the top of the window to do this. :p

Only problem is that the mouse cursor disappears after character selection! So unless you like to F8 to target things it isn't that useful. :p

I'll try SI/ToA when I get the chance to see if they work.

MaLk

Fledgling Freddie
I run ToA client on my laptop (Ubuntu 5.10), using Cedega... I works, but lots of anoying graphic bugs, due to my Geforce 4 GO64 mb gfx card not being supported very well by cedega. But for loging in a bb, its fine :p

Tried running it on a m8s laptop with a Geforce FX5200 (I think it was), under Gentoo and it looked very good. No graphic bugs at all!

Must say im very impressed with Cedega. Performance is excellent, and most games run without any performance-loss or bugs at all. Definately worth supporting imo :D:clap:

Now lets get rid of DX :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom