DAOC keeps crashing when I change characters?

S

svartmetall

Started doing this a lot now, and it's incredibly irritating...I select new char, it gets to end of progress bar for loading new char, then just hangs, and only front-case restart works, system is totally frozen.

Anyone got any ideas why this has started happening?

O

oldgit

i get that too, dont know why,
but glad im not the only one.

S

svartmetall

OK, I'll try those, ta.

Will post back with whether it works or not, it's a big hassle if I'm trying to transfer stuff between chars or something (at least my PC boots quickly).

O

old.Reno

I have the same problem, can't seem to find a reliable solution though.
Logging out completely to switch chars is a drag though.:(

Danita

F

frogster

You running the game full screen?
You running a firewall such as zonealarm?

F

frogster

I found in the past, when switching chars, my firewall would ask whether i wanted to allow camelot.exe to access teh internet. Even though i had previously set it to allow.

If you are running the game in full screen and it hangs at the point where the pink bar is full, try pressing alt-y. (for Zonealarm this is the default for granting permission on the pop up ;o )
This has helped me in the past before i started to run in windowed mode.

Hope this helps.

S

svartmetall

Yes, I run full-screen (why would I do otherwise? And how?)...and I have ZA up and running, but it's been fine like this for months, it's only started doing in this in about the last week.

S

svartmetall

Yes, I run full-screen (why would I do otherwise? And how?)...and I have ZA up and running, but it's been fine like this for months, it's only started doing in this in about the last week.

T

trigali

I can confirm it's ZA playing up in the background.

S

svartmetall

Yeah? How can you confirm this? I'm not doubting your word, I'm just curious...and what fix would you suggest, apart from not running a firewall (I'm on cable and sorry, but I'm NEVER not running a firewall)? because it never used to do this, and none of my system/firewall/DAOC settings have changed.

F

frogster

Originally posted by svartmetall

Then im almost 100% that its zonealarm asking you if you want to grant access
Have you tried alt-y? this will tell zone alamr to grant access.#
Yes zonealarm can be fickle, mine can go weeks without asking me, seems it sometimes forgets that you have told it to remember the permissions for camelot.exe. Saying that, its still a damn good firewall.

With regard to full screen, i run mine in windowed mode so i can chat to ppl on irc, (desktop at 1152 X 864, client at 1024 X 758)this is a feature with the SI client.
There is a way to run the classic client in windowed mode but the program that does it, isn't strictly allowed in the CoC
The obvious advantages other than being able to talk to the many ppl that play the game on irc is no more ld's caused by the windows key ><.

Try reinstalling zonealarm to see if it clears up, otherwise, just press alt-y each time it appears to hang.

T

trigali

I can confirm because last time, just before my computer crashed, it gave me a glimpse of my desktop, on which the ZA window was opened, asking me if I wanted to allow whatever program to access the net.

I did not have time to read the window, of course, but as DAoC was the only program running at the time, I know that's the one.

I have no idea why this idiotic firewall thinks switching from SI to classic and vice-versa makes a new program, but then I'm no techie.

I just know that it has sorted my problem.

And the solution now is easy: next time it happens to you, press Alt-Y (possibly twice, maybe it will also ask for server rights).

After you finish playing, go into your ZA settings and confirm the decision to allow internet and server access for good so you avoid it happening again.

Ye of little faith <smiles>

As to why this happens now, I have no idea. Maybe Mythic changed something in the exe or bin files when you swap from SI to Classic ? Who knows ?

S

svartmetall

OK, thanks for the advice...changed my ZA settings to allow server access. I only chnaged chars twice last night and it didn't crash then (BTW alt-Y didn't work when it had crashed before)...I guess time will tell.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom