DAOC *IS* a game but played by real people.

Q

quinthar

Why is it whenever somebody does something "in game" somebody always pipes up and says "It's only a game" sure we're only playing a game but its real people behind those chars its real people typing those words into the PC.

Why does it make it alright that somebody did something in game and its "Not as if its real life or something"...?

I have trolled (And I dont mind saying I like to stir it up sometimes, nothing better than seeing the "real people" behind the names...) these boards for a long time, I have seen feeble excuses for people attempting to steal, pathetic excuses for people using foul and abusive language, inane arguments about zerg here and zerg there. Surely the "game" has taken on a differant dimension from the traditional "shoot em up" type games and its MROE than a game.

This game and others too (boo hiss) are discussed in IRC, Forums in RL and elsewhere, it has a direct bearing on many peoples lives whether they care to admit to it or not, if you didnt care because "its only a game" then why do people come here and make impassioned pleas to do this or to do that or otherwise?

Perhaps people should give a toss about what they say and do in game but you are in essence doing it to a real person.

Discuss if you want to be sensible.

++

V

Vim

"It's just a game" is no excuse for ingame scamming and acting like an idiot. Some people just think that they can hide behind their nick (hey, IP is traceable directly to homeaddress ;p).

Usually term "It's just a game" is used when someone takes ie insults, or being killed on Camlann by purpcon, too seriously and he is basically told to chill out..

T

tripitaka

Originally posted by quinthar
Why is it whenever somebody does something "in game" somebody always pipes up and says "It's only a game" sure we're only playing a game but its real people behind those chars its real people typing those words into the PC.

Why does it make it alright that somebody did something in game and its "Not as if its real life or something"...?

I have trolled (And I dont mind saying I like to stir it up sometimes, nothing better than seeing the "real people" behind the names...) these boards for a long time, I have seen feeble excuses for people attempting to steal, pathetic excuses for people using foul and abusive language, inane arguments about zerg here and zerg there. Surely the "game" has taken on a differant dimension from the traditional "shoot em up" type games and its MROE than a game.

This game and others too (boo hiss) are discussed in IRC, Forums in RL and elsewhere, it has a direct bearing on many peoples lives whether they care to admit to it or not, if you didnt care because "its only a game" then why do people come here and make impassioned pleas to do this or to do that or otherwise?

Perhaps people should give a toss about what they say and do in game but you are in essence doing it to a real person.

++

ALso , going on from what u said there...

Using FPS is in interesting idea in your post - IN FPS games you get ppl camping the spawn areas for kills. This pisses me off the most in that type of game.

Also take into account - when people type things we interpret what they say in game and add our own Emotions to their words (sometimes) thus making what they say to us, primarily, a 'what we percieve to be correct' estimation.

If ppl start swearing in game it means they are upset with something usually. So u straight away understand the emotions they are going thru at the given time. But in general, typing is interpreted by our own brains when we read it.

Just a thought.

W

wolfofslaughter

Some people take this game too far. I do not agree with flaming someone to hell for any reason accept maybe hacking or account stealing. Too many in game who lie and cheat to take this game serious or the bad stuff that happens serious.

F

Flimgoblin

if someone tried to cheat me in real life I'd be pretty pissed off...

why shouldn't you be equally pissed off when someone tries to cheat you through the medium of an online game rather than in person? :)

Where people lose sight of the game is where they put too much value on the things within the game...

O

old.chipper

because its a game if your really gettin pissed of with the game then why the hell are you playing it

"its just a game"

point is sure shit happens in game which seriously pisses you off,
but some ppl take it way to far threads like "shame on you tilda" which got totally out of hand, if you are letting a game stress you out to the effect it does some ppl id suggest a time out is in order at end of the day it is just a game and it should not effect any part of your RL in a negative way

H

hidon_steve

i swear in game :| nout wrong wiv it tbh.... if ppl wanna act the fool to u or insult u then they diserve it back in anyway u wish

H

hercules-df

hmm it censored ****? lets see, LOOK WHAT YOUR ****ING DAUGHTER HAS DONE (exorsist1)

P

pez

Originally posted by quinthar

++

totally agree, the people who say 'its just a game' as soon as someone shows an emotion greater than complete apathy piss me off more than the people who say they will come round your house and rape your cat because you leeched a mob or whatever

Q

quinthar

Originally posted by hidon_steve
i swear in game :| nout wrong wiv it tbh.... if ppl wanna act the fool to u or insult u then they diserve it back in anyway u wish

Since the game is in actual fact real life in a differant sense of the normal meaning, your response concerns me.

I admit that I have prolly got wound up a few times over something silly but my principles and up bringing are such that I rarely take abuse sitting down. I'm getting better but nobody wants to wait for 2hrs for a pop for somebody else to plough in and nick it soon as it pops, I defy anybody to just take it on the chin should it happen to them.

Anyway, just because somebody says something you dont like it does not give you the right to go hell for leather with abuse and the like, people should exercise some moderation in their responses, more often than not people fly off the handle f this and f that.

When they have calmed down you usually get a more chilled out response, but not always.

My Infil has been sworn at for leeching and then 2 seconds later sworn at for not helping by the same person, I mean give me a feckin break...As with Zergs I'm of opinion that its all fair in love and war.

Q

quinthar

Originally posted by hercules-df
hmm it censored ****? lets see, LOOK WHAT YOUR ****ING DAUGHTER HAS DONE (exorsist1)

Thank you for your un-thought out un-intelligent response, perhaps some people do not wish to see your inane ramblings here.

A

AbPoon

It was a joke with my Friend is the best excuse imo

Eh Tilda

A

Athanas

Imho, the in-game behavior is a mirror of a person's character (besides the role players ofc). If someone acts up and stuff then it will be in real life liek this. The text you type displays your way of thinking,so and the way you behave in front of other people.

B

burg-

Originally posted by Sonath
Imho, the in-game behavior is a mirror of a person's character (besides the role players ofc). If someone acts up and stuff then it will be in real life liek this. The text you type displays your way of thinking,so and the way you behave in front of other people.

I dont agree on that.
Some people have writing difficulties, it could be difficult for them to type down what they really mean/think.

Alot of people are not English, and comming from another country makes it even more difficult to communicate in english.

Communicating with other cultures in English could also be difficult. Someone could easily get missunderstod.

W

wolfofslaughter

Originally posted by Sonath

I do not agree at all.

In the 4 and a half years of getting to know people online in chat programs and games i have learned that people are not what they seem on here be it bad or good. Many people come online to vent there emotions though games or chat and it can look bad to others in the process.

Also i have been though a lot of pain online due to betrayal and deception by people i believed i could trust and i am not talking about in dark ages of camelot through because i do not let myself became real good friends on there with people due to that.
I act like a total anoying git on daoc half the time because i do not want people to get to know me or want to become friends off the game.
Very few people really know me on here and more then likely that is the way it will stay because fact is Nearly everyone i have become friends with online has lied to me or betrayed my trust in some way and it has affected my abillty to be myself. I am much more of a bitter angre pain in the ass cuz of past events.

Do not believe you know someone by just there ******d actions because anyone can put up a personer and sometimes they do not realise they are doing it. Also speaking from experience a great many people do not see the faults within themselves because they do not think to try and view themselves from a outside perceptive.

Nothing is what it seems online be it on daoc or in chat programs.

I have one close friend on daoc through and that is seeaira who i become friends with some 3 or 4 years ago. She is a true friend to people who do not wrong her.

Point being is people can not be painted black or white because there is a thousand shades of grey and nothing is as it seems until you delve deeper.

C

ChillyDawg

Originally posted by wolfofslaughter

Nothing is what it seems online be it on daoc or in chat programs.

Very true.

BUT i have met IRL a fair few of my guildies and tbh i expected what i got. Although they didnt give me £1000s of pounds when i met em i still liked em :)

I spent at least a year online getting to know the peeps i went to see and it was worth it i had a GREAT time when i DID go to see em. Hell, a couple of em even bought me a pint or two.

Overall, ok be weary but dont be crazilly so.

A

Athanas

I was just trying to end up that people express some emotions that they can't face to face, like harassing or bragging, mainly because they find it easy hiding behind a screen :eek:
Even if u type "I R 1337" or type "i cool u suck" you can get the point right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom