Daoc hogging 100% cpu since last patch

Ensceptificamuralya

One of Freddy's beloved
I have a Pentium IV 2.5 GHz, Radeon 8500LE, 512 MB Ram and tons of free harddrive space, and although daoc itself is only lagging a little more than before the last patch, alt-tabbing out and trying to run any applications -even windows media player or just explorer - is a pain. Sometimes applications won't even start, sometimes it just takes over a minute. Checking the processes/tasks I noticed 100% cpu usage while daoc is running. Heard similar complaints of other people.

Seems there's some major inefficiency in the coding of the last patch, that's hogging the entire cpu. Any fix coming up?

Running Windows XP Pro btw.

Herjulf

Banned
I have an entirely diferent experience.

I have a AMD Athlon 2.13Ghx@333mhz cpu, 1536Mb RAM, GForce 4 TI 4900 128Mb ram, running with Windows XP.

Tweaked to remove some resource hogs in services.

I find DAOC much more snappy, more detailed and i can run into Svasud (main midgard RvR teleport pad) without freezing up and lagging very much.
I run much smoother, alot smoother.

BUT

My buffbot computer AMD Atlhon 1.2Ghz@266mhz, 256mb RAM and nforce integrated Gfx card which utilize ram memory to run.

LOAD very very very slow, can takes several minutes to load a zone, but it does load, and when it has loaded it runs much smoother, i can see that some textures have lowered quality like cloakes dont have bumpmapping and faces dont have details but i can run it to and from pad in svasud without having 1fps which i couldnt before.

My guess is that something is up with your computer setup.

Are your AGP card running at4x/8x?
Do you have som resource hog? check your TCP/IP stack, some spyware installs "alternative" stacks, adaware have a 3rd party plugin to detect that.
check the guide i posted in this section about XP tweaking.
512Mb is imo to little memory get another 512mb imo.
If u can run windows and daoc on separate "physical" disks.
Make shure u dont have conflicting machine setups loaded, due to some hardware rearranging u may have done.
Get a PCI soundcard and avoid using the internal software based soundcard.
Disable "win xp fluff" themes.

good luck

chretien

Fledgling Freddie
It always has used 100% as far as I know. Certainly it did before the patch.
Something to remember is that initially when DAoC was released, you couldn't alt-tab out or the game would crash. It would also crash if any instant messenger or IRC clients were running, this was to cut down on out of game communication and crossrealming and it wasn't until about 1.45 or so that they stopped that and allowed you to minimise the client.
Essentially the core engine of the game was designed to be the only major app running on a computer, so they decided they may as well let it use all the resources it could.

Darkzler

Fledgling Freddie
Heheh

i use this:

PIII 1000Mhz
256 MB RAM
Geforce 4 Ti4200 128MB

and it runs smooth for me except when i change areas :)

Tigersan

Fledgling Freddie
I use pent 700 512 ram geforce 4ti 200 and i have no probs exept for going to main porting zones or when changing zones i get slight slowdown

Korax

Fledgling Freddie
As far as I know, its usual to have programs open very slowly when running DAoC.

I have a XP2600 with radeon 9800pro and 1 gb ram, so I run 2 accounts without any lag anywhere. Though when I open programs like winamp, it can take forever before the puter even cunsider to start opening it. Forever for me would be from 5-10 sek, on your puter it might take alot of time.

Anyway, while waiting for programs to start up, make sure the daoc window isnt marked, but is running in the background. Or else DAoC takes all the cpu. When moving 2 chars on daoc, I have to mark a 3rd program that dont require any cpu (like an explorer window) to make windows give equal ammount of cpu time to both daoc clients. Or I can just switch between them alot, but thats more hassle :)

oh, btw. windows xp is controlling this, and you can change how to deal out cpu time to background programs or the selected one. I can imagine the defult setting is the best one though.

old.Whoodoo

Can't get enough of FH
Theres also a way of lessening the load in the task manager when running other progs or 2 copies of daoc:

In the task manager, processes, highlight Game.dll, right click and select Set Priority > Below normal.

This shoudl even out the load for other programs.

Korax

Fledgling Freddie
old.Whoodoo said:
Theres also a way of lessening the load in the task manager when running other progs or 2 copies of daoc:

In the task manager, processes, highlight Game.dll, right click and select Set Priority > Below normal.

This shoudl even out the load for other programs.
You could try it, but I have a feeling that it would make daoc teh lag. :(

Ensceptificamuralya

One of Freddy's beloved
Thnx for the replies. I never had that 100% cpu usage before the last patch, that's why I find it so strange. I could alt-tab out, start media player to play some mp3 in the background, surf the web, chat on msn, check my mail, and then return to daoc without waiting longer than 5 secs. Now it takes over a minute, and really the only thing that changed was the patch.

I will try and see if I that priority thing helps. The game itself isn't really lagging more; it's just that before the patch, I didn't notice 'incoming lag' (lag when a group of enemies is near), but I do now. Quite handy actually, but ofcourse it should just run smoothly. And I'm not running 2 accounts.

Darkzler

Fledgling Freddie
Will it work if i raise the priority of DAoC in windows?

To set it from "normal" (which i guess is standard) to High

Will it lagg/load less then??

Danya

Fledgling Freddie
Pretty much all games use 100% cpu, DAoC is nothing special in that regard.

Ensceptificamuralya

One of Freddy's beloved
Danya said:
Pretty much all games use 100% cpu, DAoC is nothing special in that regard.
It is the only game that prevents me from running other stuff if I alt-tab out of it right now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom