DAoC freezing up

Erulin

One of Freddy's beloved
Heya,

Recently I bought a new PC (damn that Oblivion) and since then DAoC seems to freeze up about once an hour... All that I can do is to reboot the machine.

Usual I can see it comming as the bushes and small patches of grass start to flicker. Then it freezes up and my character disappears (as seen on rejuv bot's screen)

Wierdest thing is, that the game still calculates me as being there, in group. Once I reboot the machine, the second windows desktop appears my character reappears on my cleric's screen as being LD (only then does my sorc loose his pet, can let the game be frozen up for 30 minutes and the pet will stay)

Anyone have any thought ? It's kinda bad to have to reboot in a RvR group :p

Thanks in advance

Erulin

One of Freddy's beloved
OOOPS, sorry

AMD 64 X2 3800+
XT1600 (512 mb) vid card
1 giga memory

Bah, a P.B. Imedia 9000 with the XT1600 instead of the standard XT600

Darzil

Fledgling Freddie
Some people with two processor PCs (such as the AMD 64 X2) have reported issues, because Camelot doesn't cope well with two processors.

The recommendation for these is to start Camelot, start Task Manager, select Processes, right click on game.dll, click on Set Affinity. Remove one of the check boxes (if dual logging, have one on one CPU, and the other on the other CPU).

Try that and see if it helps ?

Darzil

Erulin

One of Freddy's beloved
Cool thanks, I'll give a whirle tonight... :)

Erulin the Bloody

Twist

Fledgling Freddie
Darzil said:
Some people with two processor PCs (such as the AMD 64 X2) have reported issues, because Camelot doesn't cope well with two processors.

The recommendation for these is to start Camelot, start Task Manager, select Processes, right click on game.dll, click on Set Affinity. Remove one of the check boxes (if dual logging, have one on one CPU, and the other on the other CPU).

Try that and see if it helps ?

Darzil

Exactly what I had to do - same problem & that solved it.

Erulin

One of Freddy's beloved
Nope, didn't work... First time it froze up, I was able to alt-tab to desktop though. Second time, PC hung like a bad highwayman :)

Erulin the Bloody

confused

Can't get enough of FH
Are you using xp pro or home by any chance?

Pro being 100% compatible with dual cores, and home needing hotfixing to running okish with dual cores, tried running speed fan to check voltages to gpu/cpu and checking temps of the same.

Also which drivers, as there were some older catalyst drivers that seemed to generally bugger up gpu bios' and make the x1xxx cards bsod, might want to update there

Askr

Fledgling Freddie
Two friends of mine are having the same problem and they have mostly the same setup as you have. Gonna give them a heads up on the dual core thing.

On the other hand as far as they can tell the problem could be the ATI card. They both have XT1900 series and apparently (according to Mythic) DAoC don't support this chipset yet, might be the same with the XT1600. They have tried all drivers possible and to no gain...

Will post any advance they make with their problems and hopefully something works for you as well.

Erulin

One of Freddy's beloved
Thanks man... I'm pretty sure it's the GPU that's screwing up, when I could alt-tab the screen looked all jumbled. PC still worked great, just the screendump was all in blocks.

Do your friends have 512 meg video card ? I'm thinking that could be the problem.

Thank god I still have both my old pc's at home. Oh well, I'll just Oblivion and Tombraider the new one and play DAoC on my (not so) old ones :)

Thanks for all the help guys,
Erulin the Bloody

Askr

Fledgling Freddie
One of them sit on a:
AMD 64 X2 4200+ cpu.
XT1900XTX (512 MB) vid.
2GB mem.

Though it seems his problems have been solved with the dual core fix posted above...

He logged on and had the wierd flickering textuers after only a few mins, he tabbed out and set the game.dll to only use one CPU and tabbed back to find everything back to normal.

Try it again, I'll hold my thumbs for ya this time ;)

Erulin

One of Freddy's beloved
Wooot woooot, it works, it works :) :)

Thanks guys :)

Erulin

One of Freddy's beloved
Just thought of something... Would it make a big difference performance wise if I set all the other running proccesses (aside from game.dll) to run exclusively on the other core ?

Erulin the Bloody

Darzil

Fledgling Freddie
Erulin said:
Just thought of something... Would it make a big difference performance wise if I set all the other running proccesses (aside from game.dll) to run exclusively on the other core ?

Erulin the Bloody

I'd guess it'd make a difference to move any high impact ones to the other core. I'd not worry about doing it to all of them, though.

Darzil

Erulin

One of Freddy's beloved
Thanks again man, it really helped me out :)

Erulin the Bloody

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom