Daoc @ E3

Madonion

Fledgling Freddie
Live from E3 – Thursday, May 19
E3 is full of new things and flashy announcements, but it’s also the place to see new twists on old, proven games. A perfect example may be seen in the Mythic booth where the upcoming Imperator and the hubbub over the announcement of Warhammer Online have taken most of the spotlight, but Dark Age of Camelot, the venerable older sibling to those games is present, too, and Destin Bales was pleased to show off the changes in the next expansion for the game, Darkness Rising.

The story concerns the demons from the multi-realm dungeon Darkness Falls rising up and threatening the realms. The kings from each of the realms appear and players may gain an audience with their king. Through this players will embark upon the champion quests, which consist of five levels and grant players some extra abilities. Upon achieving each champion level, a player gains a champion point that he may spend at a base trainer for a mid-level skill. A 50 hero, for example, may visit a caster trainer and gain a level 15-20 spell. Champion points are achieved through regular combat, so level 50 players have a new incentive to engage in PvE combat. RvR combat will increase champion experience as well.

Players who successfully complete the five champion levels will have access to the champion epic weapon. These weapons are tailored to each class and are more powerful than the artifact weapons from Trials of Atlantis for that reason. Another advantage they have is that they will be fully repairable. Each will have a distinct special effect that will be noticeable on the RvR battlefield. Bales showed a warrior wielding a large glowing sword. When the similarity between it and the trademark blade for Imperator were pointed out, Bales grinned at the notion that it might be a bit of subliminal advertising for Mythic’s upcoming Roman-themed game. Regardless, the champion epics look great and will surely be highly sought after.

Another big addition is that of personal mounts. The players of Camelot have long desired their own mounts, and Darkness Rising will include them. Players will have to complete a task and spend a bit of money, but then they will have the ability to customize their steed with barding, armor, and other adornments. The mount may also have a saddlebag, giving players an addition inventory space for carrying siege gear into RvR battle or just toting around additional loot. Horses will not be killable, but players will be able to knock other players off their mounts. This begs the obvious question: Will there be in-game jousts? Bales laughed and said, “not in this release.” However, in true Mythic fashion, the door to this and other options is ever open.

Finally, as the expansion’s story takes place in Darkness Falls, the dungeon will be getting a facelift. All new graphics will adorn the halls of DF, and Legion, the big baddie of the dungeon, looks even more menacing.

The expansion is planned for release by the end of 2005. A press release is planned for the first of next week, so keep your eyes here for more information. To learn more about Dark Age of Camelot, visit the official site at http://www.darkageofcamelot.com.

Airalith

Loyal Freddie
wish i was at E3, id be spanking miffics ass whilst yelling 'givf me add-on big boy, givf'....

erm... yeh anyway...

sounds good2 me

Coccas

Loyal Freddie
Aye sounds good, lets just hope getting all those champion levels doesnt take too long.

Overdriven

Dumpster Fire of The South
Give my shaman a level 15-20 crush style and I'll be happy.
Give my BD a CS style (Garrote) and I'll be happy,
Give my Inf on Camlann a... Nuke and I'll be able to stand up to NSs.

Darksword

Can't get enough of FH
Overdriven said:
Give my shaman a level 15-20 crush style and I'll be happy.
Give my BD a CS style (Garrote) and I'll be happy,
Give my Inf on Camlann a... Nuke and I'll be able to stand up to NSs.

id preffer a mezz for a infil :)

Mauness

Can't get enough of FH
armsman with low level end chant :)

also hope my cleric might get crush styles

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
in that it has new things for your existing characters to do and improve with yes, though there's no mention so far of needing 50 pals to help you through a load of buggy overcamped encounters

aka ToA on release - it's actually not too bad now though, each ML is 4-5 hours tops if yer running slow bugs are fixed, irritating encounters made less so. 1-2 hours max if yer running eggyspeed. There's still the artifact camping though it seems that the market is beginning to saturate - everyone has their shades of mist so they no longer camp it 24/7. Scrolls seem to be the big deal these days and they drop from a large number of things.

Phoebee-v-

Fledgling Freddie
Flimgoblin said:
aka ToA on release - it's actually not too bad now though, each ML is 4-5 hours tops if yer running slow bugs are fixed, irritating encounters made less so. 1-2 hours max if yer running eggyspeed.

Half the truth. Allmost as big problem is to get so many together thats needed. For exampel 4.2 7.10 8.4(or what ever that general step now is) 9.10 is VERY hard to do when servers droping low on people that still needs this. Most the causul gamers have done it with most of thier alts allready and the hardcore gamers are trying to avoid the part of wasting time in PvE when you can PK.

The ideas sure is nice I won't argue with that for this. But give options of fg/solo/duo encounters and not those that demand 24 ppl + to finish(without bug abusing :eek: ).

Edit: Forgot 6.9 that can be kinda nasty with fg :(

Lestat

Fledgling Freddie
That's ubber!

DF is kinda dead, all can make faster money in toa then in df nowaday, so clever thinking imo with this df expansion... I foresee masive keepbattles, as ANYONE whant to do champion levels, ahh can't wait.. :D

Javai

Fledgling Freddie
Hmm if the Champion level instances are only accessible via DF will make tower taking all the more interesting :)

Thought I'd read somewhere the idea was for the Champion levels to be done in 8 player instances but maybe I dreamt that :)

poky

Fledgling Freddie
um someone explain the points you gain from champion levels... the example mention heros picking a midlvl spell... does that mean ALL classes in mid will run around with lowlvl bd lifetap now?

Gamah

Banned
poky said:
um someone explain the points you gain from champion levels... the example mention heros picking a midlvl spell... does that mean ALL classes in mid will run around with lowlvl bd lifetap now?

oO That would suck :E

Krakatau

Fledgling Freddie
poky said:

Would be interesting if classes without power, like warrior, can actually cast spells... :touch:

Andrilyn

Can't get enough of FH
poky said:

I don't think you can get insta's or CC or stealth and some other things are excluded also, read about it somewhere on VN Daoc forum.

Comos

Loyal Freddie
I have mixed feelings about this.

If TOA never existed I would be all "wow, cool! looks great" on this expansion, however the "... so players will have to go PvE again" sounds all too familiar. I don't mind going PvE again to get those Champion levels, as long as it's according to their catacombs-idea, i.e. all can be done solo or with 1fg MAX. I don't want to see another TOA-like expansion and I don't think anyone does. I have a strong feeling Mythic won't make the same mistake again though, I think they've done very well with catacombs (apart from the WL class, which will be fixed so I'm happy). As they said about catacombs: 'this is an expansion for the players we've neglected for some time now', I hope they'll keep that same group in mind when they make Darkness Rising.

I'm very happy that they're revamping old areas though, instead of adding new zones I'm all for reusing old zones. It's great that they're redoing Legion (and most certainly his drops). We'll finally get to battle him again then, atm there's just no point other then for fun.

Brite

Banned
champion weapons is one fix against the ever degrading artifacts, but what the hell are we to do when armour artifacts are on 0% dura?

Sun_Tzu

Fledgling Freddie
Brite said:
champion weapons is one fix against the ever degrading artifacts, but what the hell are we to do when armour artifacts are on 0% dura?

More importantly, shouldn't I be annoyed that my artis which are supposedly ancient and incredibly powerful weapons have decayed away to nothing while this crazy champ weapon won't run out of durability ever?

I mean, the only single argument for keeping artifacts as normal weapons for decaying was because of player crafting; the idea was that if players could just use artifact weapons forever, player made weapons would be worthless. But yet, now we get weapons that are better, and cant ever decay?...

Well...I suppose its slightly better, as mythic will probably then apply the same kind of code to quest items and artis once this gets out.

About the abilities...well, I'd say its kind of interesting, but seriously useful at all? Mr RandomPaladin, specs in a lowbie fire DD, goes out to RvR and starts spending his time nuking for 90 damage, or healing for 120 hitpoints, or so forth. I'm not sure exactly why i'd spend long hours PvEing so i can interrupt someone. Some combinations are pretty amusing - casters with shields, main tanks with PBAE spells - but I'm not sure if there's going to be much usefulness.

Ogrelin Blodig

One of Freddy's beloved
poky said:

a lowlevel bd lt would suck...it takes lvl 47 supp to hame any use for it...can't see how stealing 20 hp with a lvl 5 LT could help me staying alive much longer

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
Brite said:

then u get a new template wich include other artifacts...... kinda makes u wish u didnt get all the uberwtfpwn artis at the same time doesent it? :)

Crookshanks

Fledgling Freddie
Ogrelin Blodig said:
a lowlevel bd lt would suck...it takes lvl 47 supp to hame any use for it...can't see how stealing 20 hp with a lvl 5 LT could help me staying alive much longer

Oh I don't know - if I could get a instant interupting LT on my armsman his surivability against casters would go up stratospherically as I run down towards them.

Zaitenko

Fledgling Freddie
All sounds very nice except for this spec in mid level skills thing.

But maybe it won't be as bad as I fear <grin>

Healer McHeal

Fledgling Freddie
when will you all realise its 1-5 class trainers, NOT 5-50 ones, so lifetap dont exist, except maybe in alb, and on another note, no instants, no CC, no stealth, only heals, buffs, and dd's that i have read.(dont ask me to show where, use forum search, it was on here :p)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom