DAOC Account Suspension Radar

SkarIronfist

Fledgling Freddie
I remember in the not to distant past that GOA Banned people for using crafting macro's. After a long thread, I remember that one of the GOA representatives stated that just because Mythic suspended people, GOA would follow their own judgement and do what they felt was best. Since macroing was a use of a 3rd party program and there would be a non tolerance attitude to these program.

I remember at the time, NF was just out in the US and people said, well Mythic are only warning people, don't you think this is an over reaction.

So now GOA have decided to "Suspend" people for Radar use - I know I am poorly educated, but is that perchance a 3rd party program.

I have to say from my stand point, which I consider the worse crime and it wasn't the use of a crafting macro.

So I hope someone from GOA will personally re invite that person back into the game and say "Sorry we over reacted - heres your account back and theres a free month".

Also, when you make a decision of the sort you made on banning someone for a crafting macro, next time take a long term view, since it will come back and bite you on the ass.

I didn't know the person who got banned, couldn't ultimately care, but I really get annoyed at double standards.

Escape

Can't get enough of FH
The same probably happend in EU as in the US. GOA found soo many radar users they couldn't bring themselves to lose all that money by banning them. So a pathetic slap on the wrist and don't cancel your subscription, you'll be back in 2 weeks!

It's strange for anyone to get suspended on the EU servers, after they've had months of warning time to stop using radar. You can only guess that out of the people using radar before NF, the majority have stopped using it or quit the game, probably leaving 5% of the thickest, most retarded radar users who were caught by GOA... and even that number was too high for them to give full bans oO

Tesla Monkor

Fledgling Freddie
I don't really think that is the case. There aren't that many radar users, and the ones that do use it get a 2 week ban. If they come back and do it again, they get another (longer?) ban, etc. In the meantime they still keep paying for the account they can't play. Perma-ban would kill the account.

Who's using who here, now? ;)

IainC

English WAR Community Manager
Our standard policy for people caught using third party programs is to terminate the account without warning. This particular episode is a one off warning to all cheaters who use 3rd party programs. After this, there will be no more warnings. Use radar or a macro tool and you will lose your account permanently even if you've not been caught before. Also we know who has been caught. Any further breaches of the CoC by them will result in a termination - even for things that wouldn't normally result in such a harsh penalty such as kill-stealing or harrassment.

There are no double standards, we will continue to punish cheats and to provide a fair platform for honest players.

Escape

Can't get enough of FH
I guess you can't tell us how many people were banned for radar use? :p
Or even if the GOA staff were surprised by the findings?

GimpStrole

Fledgling Freddie
Requiel said:
Our standard policy for people caught using third party programs is to terminate the account without warning. This particular episode is a one off warning to all cheaters who use 3rd party programs. After this, there will be no more warnings. Use radar or a macro tool and you will lose your account permanently even if you've not been caught before. Also we know who has been caught. Any further breaches of the CoC by them will result in a termination - even for things that wouldn't normally result in such a harsh penalty such as kill-stealing or harrassment.

There are no double standards, we will continue to punish cheats and to provide a fair platform for honest players.

Always wanted to ask this but never got round to it.

What is your view on auto-craft programs?

Many people can't be bothered to sit there for hours making hinges. I personaly have no problem with using auto-craft programs JUST for making hinges, because in a polite way, it's boring as fuck sitting there concentrating on making hinges as fast as you can because you know it's going to take forever!

IainC

GimpStrole said:
Always wanted to ask this but never got round to it.

What is your view on auto-craft programs?

Many people can't be bothered to sit there for hours making hinges. I personaly have no problem with using auto-craft programs JUST for making hinges, because in a polite way, it's boring as fuck sitting there concentrating on making hinges as fast as you can because you know it's going to take forever!
If we catch you using it you'll lose your account. You aren't allowed to use any 3rd party software to give you an advantage in game or automate game tasks. Doesn't matter if you're AFK or not, you'll be banned regardless. It does give you an advantage as you can leave the program to trinket/skill for you while you are doing something else, any other crafter wouldn't have that advantage. It doesn't have to impact directly on another person's game play to be punishable. It's clearly stated in the CoC that you cannot use programs like this, regardless of what area of the game you are talking about. No difference between cheating in PvE, cheating in RvR, cheating as a crafter or whatever, all are treated equally seriously.

Dorin

Fledgling Freddie
Tesla Monkor said:
I don't really think that is the case. There aren't that many radar users, and the ones that do use it get a 2 week ban. If they come back and do it again, they get another (longer?) ban, etc. In the meantime they still keep paying for the account they can't play. Perma-ban would kill the account.

Who's using who here, now? ;)

you know i cant rly agree with this policy (marketing, i know its ALL about cash sadly), the ones that used radar for ages, i mean ages deserve a permanent ban not some louzy 2 - weeks warning... give me a break fs.

Of course its better then nothing, but i still feel like a bit "cheated". Some ppl used radar and ruined fair players chances and all they have to do is to stop cheating from now on ? :m00: :m00:

Expected something else.

Would love to know the names of them for instance :eek:

Etzel

Fledgling Freddie
Requiel said:
Our standard policy for people caught using third party programs is to terminate the account without warning. <SNIP>

I agree totally with Skar it IS double standards.

I'm fine with your chosen policy being different to Mythics, that's your choice and what we sign up for, varying that policy on a whim is not what we expect though. How many people in the past have you outright banned for radar use? You penalised those stupid enough to get caught with first gen tools but those devious enough to avoid detection get rewarded with a second chance, I know which group i'd rather have removed from the community.

If we have to have these people back (and we wont find out who they are because I bet they all 'go away' for xmas) I suggest the simplest punishment of all, Zero their realm point total . For this initial group they take a 2 week festive break and come back with all their illegally gotten RP's, proof that in this community crime does pay......

Ilum

Can't get enough of FH
If i were Mythic I'd worry more about the fact that crafting is so easily automated - because its just boring bullshit tbh :p

And perma ban for radar offense = KKthxbye to another chunk of the population that hasnt left for WoW or whatever yet :p

Boggy

Fledgling Freddie
I think GOA would probably want to ban cheaters without warning too, but it would be a risky move. The game will not be improved if it turns out there are a lot of them. Population is already an issue as is.

The warning is a good halfway house. Hopefully it will lead us to people stopping using cheats without a dramatic population drop.

Ethild

Fledgling Freddie
Tesla Monkor said:
I don't really think that is the case. There aren't that many radar users, and the ones that do use it get a 2 week ban.

I think you would be surprised. From 1.67 (? I muddle up patch numbers, so excuse me if i get them wrong), just before the encryption system was change from fully symmetric to an RSA exchange of keys to then be used for symmetric encryption, the stats on radar usage was about 20%. Thats 1 in 5 players. Probably more than you would care to think, statistically more than one person in every full group.

These may even be an underestimate, as only one of the radar systems published results. Can't remember if the thread was on here or old BWorld. Worth a search if you are bored anyway.

It probably dropped a bit from said patch onward, as it was made harder to do.

I don't think suspending someone for 2 weeks really is a decent punishment anyway. The damage is already done. Rather than a suspension, they should have their realm points halved, or something suitably damaging to their game account. I'm pretty sure a 2 week suspension would be great for them considering the likely RP increase over time. I know I would quite happily take a (say) 40% increase in RPs for a mere 2 weeks 'break' from the game.

Bloodaxe_Springskalle

Fledgling Freddie
SkarIronfist said:
I remember in the not to distant past that GOA Banned people for using crafting macro's. After a long thread, I remember that one of the GOA representatives stated that just because Mythic suspended people, GOA would follow their own judgement and do what they felt was best. Since macroing was a use of a 3rd party program and there would be a non tolerance attitude to these program.

I remember at the time, NF was just out in the US and people said, well Mythic are only warning people, don't you think this is an over reaction.

So now GOA have decided to "Suspend" people for Radar use - I know I am poorly educated, but is that perchance a 3rd party program.

I have to say from my stand point, which I consider the worse crime and it wasn't the use of a crafting macro.

So I hope someone from GOA will personally re invite that person back into the game and say "Sorry we over reacted - heres your account back and theres a free month".

Also, when you make a decision of the sort you made on banning someone for a crafting macro, next time take a long term view, since it will come back and bite you on the ass.

I didn't know the person who got banned, couldn't ultimately care, but I really get annoyed at double standards.

/agree :clap:

Krakatau

Fledgling Freddie
Not all people are/were (depending if they quit game or not) ARRPEEE whores...
Some are/were CRAFTING whores...

What makes crafting using macroing less offensive than radaring ?

For me, at least, I did put a lot of effort into the crafting bit and I get upset by some remarks about crafting being boring etc...
Sure, it IS boring- and even more so now without the need to make wires/studs for armor and different parts for weapons. But that change to make it easier to craft stuff wasn't enough for some people :puke:

But OK, according to some peoples logic it's ok to cheat in one area and not in another ( ie RvR )

That's double standards for me at least. :m00:

Oh, and btw, merry christmas to you all from a slightly drunk CrazyCrafter :cheers: :cheers:

sko

Loyal Freddie
Requiel said:
If we catch you using it you'll lose your account. You aren't allowed to use any 3rd party software to give you an advantage in game or automate game tasks. Doesn't matter if you're AFK or not, you'll be banned regardless. It does give you an advantage as you can leave the program to trinket/skill for you while you are doing something else, any other crafter wouldn't have that advantage. It doesn't have to impact directly on another person's game play to be punishable. It's clearly stated in the CoC that you cannot use programs like this, regardless of what area of the game you are talking about. No difference between cheating in PvE, cheating in RvR, cheating as a crafter or whatever, all are treated equally seriously.

If you have played World of Warcraft, you'll see the crafting system has a "Create All" button. This stacks the maximum number of -whatever- you can make calculated from the ammount of reagents you have on you, and then you can be afk while the toon makes it himself. I don't really see why or how this can be an "advantage to others".

Of course you have your policy, etc, but think about it:

If you added similar function to WoW's "Create All", you'd please thousands of weary crafters, and you'd relieve yourself of the dark cloud that someone, somewhere, might be using a nasty macro crafter. Just an idea.

Ovi1

Fledgling Freddie
sko said:
If you have played World of Warcraft, you'll see the crafting system has a "Create All" button. This stacks the maximum number of -whatever- you can make calculated from the ammount of reagents you have on you, and then you can be afk while the toon makes it himself. I don't really see why or how this can be an "advantage to others".

The difference is that WoW have made it part of the game, therefore open to use by everyone.

Any crafting automation for DAoC is not in the game, is a third party program, and is therefore not open to everyone, thereby giving the people using it an advantage over those that don't.

If you don't like the crafting system, complain to Mythic, and they may change it. Disliking a system is NO excuse to cheat.

@ Requiel

I disagree that this isn't double standards.

If the "Standard" is that everyone will be banned immediately for using third party software, it's pretty hard to conclude that only suspending people is the same "standard".

Not sure the numbers involved, but if there is a significant number caught then I think the suspension probably are the best option, still doesn't stop it being a double standard :)

Morchaoron

Fledgling Freddie
Well like in mythics case, so many people used radar they decided to only give them a 'temp ban' (which means nothing ofc) because it would be at least a 1% loss in subscribers >>>>> money (i think its safe to assume AT LEAST 1 out of 100 players used radar on US considering the enormous amounts of whine that the forums had after the temp bans (even a whole guild got temp banned :p )
It was a relativly safe cheat to use, no one could detect it and if you make a movie of them no one will believe you anyway (luck, rofl QQ etc) :p

GimpStrole

Fledgling Freddie
Requiel said:

Fair enough.

I did ask you what you thought not GoA but I guess you're not allowed to have an opinion if you work for those weirdos.

Merry Christmas \o/

IainC

GimpStrole said:
Fair enough.

I did ask you what you thought not GoA but I guess you're not allowed to have an opinion if you work for those weirdos.

Merry Christmas \o/
My personal opinion is much the same. On my personal account I have an LGM crafter and I know many people (including my wife) who have LGM crafters who all gained their points honestly. Cheating is cheating and cheating at crafting is not less of a crime than cheating in RvR or scamming gold off newbies.

A

Aoln

Must be fun answering the same questions about radar banning over and over.. just as fun as it is to read them :eek:

Drahminn

Fledgling Freddie
What i would really like to know is why when i report someone using a 3rd party cheating program to speed up thier characters running pace in game that nothing is done? This was on Gorre and ofc ill get the usual "its a test server what does it matter" but the fact of the matter is someone knows how to cheat, they tested it out, they ruin other peoples fun and they have the tools to do it with.

They have the program they use it to gain an advantage and could very well use it on other servers, but yet the response i got was one of "if they got caught on another server using it, we would definately look into it"

Cheers, huge crackdown on cheats that is.

Awarkle

Fledgling Freddie
personally i would prefer to not play with cheaters, they dont bring anything to the game and i dont want to be constantly trying to compete against people who have an unfair advantage.

AS for crafting nothing can really be done to not make it so boring its a mythic design problem not a goa one. Anywho Persoanlly RVR cheaters should have all RPS set to 0 i would be far happier with that than a suspension :)

sko

Loyal Freddie
Requiel said:

Bah! How come some guys have to be single while others got a job AND a wife that plays games? IRL cheats imo.

Ilum

Can't get enough of FH
sko said:
Bah! How come some guys have to be single while others got a job AND a wife that plays games? IRL cheats imo.

you think goa employees have a "job"? :p

just kidding requiel, if only when it comes to you ;)

Zebolt

Can't get enough of FH
Krakatau said:
Not all people are/were (depending if they quit game or not) ARRPEEE whores...
Some are/were CRAFTING whores...
Some are just whores.. like sko

Zapsi

Fledgling Freddie
Ban all Ventrillo users is cheat, only Team speak is ok !

:kissit:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom