Film Damnit Hollywood I thought you'd canned this shit.

ECA

I am a FH squatter
http://www.nme.com/filmandtv/news/akira-live-action-movie-finally-given-go-ahead/250103

GarrettHedlundPA201011.jpg

The live action version of Akira has finally been given the go-ahead.

Warner Bros have finally given the go-ahead to the film, which has been fraught with problems and delays since it was first conceived.

Garrett Hedlund, last seen in Tron: Legacy, has been cast in the lead role of Kaneda, beating out rumoured contenders James Franco, Zac Efron, Keanu Reeves and Robert Pattinson. Jaume Collet-Sera is attached as director, according to Variety.

In the new film, the action will be transported to 'New Manhattan'.

Sigh.

megadave

I am a FH squatter
Guess it was always going to happen after they paid so much for the rights.

That list of actors is truly shit, not seen Tron so don't know about that guy, but the director is pretty shit as well.

Roo Stercogburn

Resident Freddy
I think my sense of dread comes from relocating the story to geneirc-futuristic-USA-land, which doesn't bode well for other things they'll feck up. If you're going to do a story, then do the story. This smells of blatantly taking the name to get the fan base (while annoying them at the same time) and having no regard for the story.

Kaneda's bike should be interesting. Tetsuo's physical transformation and demise is potentially very gorey but I wonder how they'll handle it or if they'll even include it. I suspect they'll have a very toned-down physical transformation - a few bruises and blisters then suddenly satelites are firing down lasers. Yawn.

Kaneda's iconic theme tune will become some generic middle-American bland shit with some dubstep wobble under it so it sounds futuristic :(

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Mmmm black text on dark green... is that a theme problem or something? It's not a quote or anything so did ECA just gay it up when he posted? :)

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
ECA is gh3y.

This is why colours were disabled before, because people cannot be trusted.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
To be fair, Kahland has a point. If they were going to do this, they should have used the king of sad, Keanu.

Roo Stercogburn

Resident Freddy
That list of actors is truly shit, not seen Tron so don't know about that guy, but the director is pretty shit as well.

I've seen Tron Legacy and can't remember him at all which tells you pretty much what to expect from him.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
WAiting for it, again, now then. Could be good, could be sh*t, will have to see.

PLightstar

Part of the furniture
Think i'll give this one a miss, when it comes to cinemas. The sad thing is that the majority of people who will watch it, will probably have never heard of the anime or manga.

Shagrat

I am a FH squatter
Garrett Hedlund, last seen in Tron: Legacy, has been cast in the lead role of Kaneda, beating out rumoured contenders James Franco, Zac Efron, Keanu Reeves and Robert Pattinson

that's the list of actors they put together to play Kaneda? Won't be going anywhere near this then....poor poor poor.

Soazak

Part of the furniture
Seems pretty camp, Robert Pattinson would have made it hillarious.

Roo Stercogburn

Resident Freddy
DOUBLE FUCK.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1638355/

Man from uncle remake.

Until there's an actual confirmed crew/cast attached, appearing on IMDb means nothing. I've been looking for Ender's Game and Startide Rising for years :D

Admittedly Uncle as comedy makes me die a little inside. It was never as seriously up itself as Bond but tagged as Comedy makes me feel its going to be Eddy Murphy in his dying years desperate to make a comeback. Again. Er, ok, again again.

Billargh

I am a FH squatter
You must be pretty delusional if you really think Hollywood will ever end this shit :p

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
what pains me the most is that there will be a generation of people who think that the shit remakes are the originals..until they grow a clue...

Roo Stercogburn

Resident Freddy
Some interesting bits. Seems it will be in two parts, which means it might just cover the complexities of the story in enough depth.

Rumoured cast looks interesting in that Gary Oldman may play the colonel and possibly Helena Bonham Carter as Lady Miyako. Katsuhiro Ohtomo is down as executive producer, which may mean it could retain some of the original integrity.

Not sure. Still not got confidence in this until something more solid shows up on IMDb.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom