CVSuping

W

Will

Okies, I'm rather bravely trying to cvsup my FreeBSD 5.0 system. Unfortunately, the man pages are short of some very basic questions. Like where should my supfile live, and do I need to add a refuse file, do I want to upgrade my ports only, or upgrade everything.

So a noobs guide to cvsuping would be nice.;)

W

Will

Yeah, I know, read it all already. I've found my example supfiles, I just wondered if there was a correct place to save my supfile. I see the refuse file location is defined in the supfile, so that helps.

I just want a little handholding, is that too much to ask?;)

N

nick·

The handbook is usually pretty thorough though - most questions are answered in there if you look closely enough.

As for where to place your supfile, it doesn't actually matter but convention / common sense would probably suggest /etc. Check out the hier manpage for more information on where things should live.

W

Will

Yeah, I think /etc is where it will be going. Just wondered how other people did it.

The handbook misses out the really stupid questions that sometimes plague me when I do things for the first time. But I think I am ready to go now.

T

Testin da Cable

have you managed to make it work yet Will?

W

Will

Heh, nada, I've been too busy playing Raven Shield. One day soon, honest.

W

Will

But I did get BitchX working very nicely indeed. Autojoin, auto-opening of new windows, Ctrl-X to cycle windows. I approve of it a lot more than I used to when I had to type /window swap x every time I wanted to change.

Now I just need to learn how to write multi-action aliases and I'll be a very happy vicar.:)

W

Will

Have you seen how little info there is out there on BitchX? That is an outstanding achievment.

At least, thats what I keep telling myself.

X

xane

I asked this question to various BSD gurus and they don't have an answer, basically you put it where you like, mine are in /usr/local/etc/cvsup, copied from the examples and modified accordingly.

For port upgrades consider using portupgrade !

Also check out http://www.freebsddiary.org/

W

Will

I have portupgrade installed actually, found a nice article on it, and a mate who is a long-time FreeBSD user pointed me towards it.

Not really taken advantage of it yet. I do tend to jump from thing to thing a lot.;)

X

xane

Just beware using portupgrade -ra, when I use that on my little Celeron 433Mhz it takes around 2 days to complete !

W

Will

Is that the same end result as CVSuping the ports collection?

And if it is, I'll tell you how long it takes on my XP 1700+ after I run it.;)

W

Will

Read up on it during my lunch. Just move along, nothing to see here.

X

xane

Just a quick note.

A new version of XFree86 was released in February (version 4.3.0) and theres a newer version of KDE too (3.1.1a), the XFree86 install will screw up your XF86Config file but will but a new one in the home directory (assuming its /root), you need to copy this to the old one (/etc/X11).

KDE 3.1.1a doesn't look to happy for me atm, some bugs already :(

X

xane

Originally posted by Will.
Is that the same end result as CVSuping the ports collection?

cvsup doesn't make them all afterwards :)

Normal procedure is to cvsup the ports, then portupgrade the lot (use -ra for recursive and all ports).

T

Testin da Cable

why the heck would you want all the ports?

or am I being silly? I've been drinking mind :)

X

xane

No, its the "ports collection" being kept up to date, under /usr/ports, just a bunch of reference files, you don't actually install them until you go there and "make install".

One port is called portupgrade, it should be the only port you ever need !

With portupgrade comes portversion, which is really handy for seeing how out of date you are :)

X

xane

I use a modified cvsup file for the ports, I specify the ports individually leaving out the really strange sections, like chinese and vietnamese ports (!), then delete the ports directory.

T

Testin da Cable

yes, I do that too. no use spending time dling stuff you'll not need.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom