CVS / SVN - Version Control

S

(Shovel)

Right, I'm working on a website, and various software projects throughout the year at uni, and I'm taking a bit of a peek at CVS/SVN type systems to help keep myself in tac - avoid any embaressing version overwrites and suchlike.

I'm running Windows XP, and so far I've tried Tortoise SVN which integrated very nicely into the shell, but caused Explorer to crash whenever I tried to open the directory I'd checked out to.

So, can anyone offer any tips and the like on CVS-ing, whether SVN (which claims to be "better") is worth it for being better, or whether for my needs it's all fine, and where to start really :)

I'll give CVSnt a go - it runs a CVS server as an NT Service. I'd just like something that will work - and yeah, explorer integration is quite nice and pretty, highlighting any erroneous files and so forth, but it's really not a must at all.

Thanks,

Ben

L

lovedaddy

WinCVS - http://www.wincvs.org/ aint too bad, but requires python to be installed as a back end.

It quiet powerful and can do things like flat views on project files etc. Large projects it gets really really slow to move about directories.

At work I use Tortoise for general moving about the source tree, and WinCVS when I know I've got a file modified but cannot remember what.

Someone at work also wrote a quality tool that adds cvs support into VS.NET (as source safe would be). V nice.

Users who are viewing this thread