Custom Map Server

B

bigbb

We've been looking at introducing a custom map server because of the relatively small number of standard maps available, atm. We would put together a map pack available for download from the FTP, with all the custom maps the server would run.

But, the current state of play means we'll have to change one of the current servers into the new custom server. If everyone has access to download this map pack I shouldn't think it'll be a problem. But, i'm asking for your thoughts/comments on this proposal?

B

bigfoot

Sounds good to me, i don't play much RTCW but the current maps aren't that great imo.

N

nocte

Yeee haaa

Nice one bigbb

i personally dont mind one of the other servers going offline to make way for the custom map server.

B

bigbb

I've been putting together the map pack recently and i'm genuinely surprised at the quality and detail. Some of these maps will keep the game alive for donkey's years.

Hopefully, the map pack will be available by Thursday night and the Custom Map server on by the end of the week / early weekend.

B

bigbb

Work on the league has meant custom map server and pack are not available until Monday, sorry chaps.

O

old.balgorg

Ive been trying to talk to a BW admin on IRC all day about this. Its good to see that a custom server will be up and running ;-)
One question tho' is whether or not these same maps will be available on Bookable servers, or not ?

=MCP=Balgorg

B

bigbb

I'm on irc most of the time should you wish to speak to me about it. I will look into the maps being added to the bookable servers.

B

bigbb

The map pack is ready however, it can't be distributed until the map authors have stamped their permission on it. But, that shouldn't take long and we're expecting to be able to upload the pack to the FTP on Tuesday, with the Custom Map Server active on Wednesday.

O

old.Kez

Why do you need the permission of authors to distribute maps? :/

N

nocte

i have been trying to connect to the BW ftp for a few days now, but with no joy. Any ideas what is up with it?

S

Sledge

The FTP server died last week according to the news page.

the current state of play means we'll have to change one of the current servers into the new custom server

Which server are you changing? Hopefully not the Obj FF off :)

N

nocte

cheers for the info sledge ;)

and yeah dont take down Obj 1 pls

B

bigbb

Originally posted by Kez
Why do you need the permission of authors to distribute maps? :/

Because a lot of the map's readme files ask that you notify the author before distributing them and as this pack is going to be available to the general publicans, I didn't think it would hurt too much to do what they asked. These creations are their hard work and imagination and I'd like to respect their wishes.

:/

B

bigbb

There are 4 maps to start with and we'll add more in the coming weeks/months. There were 2 others which were of a suitable quality but were both over 10mb each. The maps to be used for the start are,

• MP_Tank
  • MP_Bridge
  • MP_Omaha
  • MP_ComplexV2

B

bigbb

Originally posted by Sledge
The FTP server died last week according to the news page.

The FTP did indeed die, which means we're now waiting on that, having just got everything ready. When it's up you'll be able to download the map pack and we can get the server on.

Originally posted by Sledge
Which server are you changing? Hopefully not the Obj FF off :)

Objective 4, currently named, 'BarrysWorld - Objective (4) - Beginners Server', is where the new custom map server is to be placed.

O

old.balgorg

Anny more news

Any more news as to whether or not the Bookable servers will be running custom maps or not ?

Ta

=M<P=Col.Balgorg ;)

B

bigbb

I haven't been told whether that's a possibility or not yet, no.

D

d_g

just putting my 2p on the maps i'd like to see...

other than ones already chosen,
  • mp_wizernes
  • mp_theriver
  • bk_forestb1

and maybe have a look at mp_recipe, plus when the next release comes, mp_divine (too graphics intensive atm, new version on its way).

B

bigbb

I was tweetering with mp_wizernes, but it's a 4mb map and i've got one eye on d/l size, atm. These maps will be available for download seperately, but it's a bit of a chore for the 56k players to download over 15mb in maps, just to be able to play on the server.

I'll have a gander another gander at them though, there is the potential for a couple more so suggestions are welcome.

D

d_g

nice to see download size and use 56kers are being thought of :)

fair point, 12mb is about the largest file i'll consider downloading on my 56k. having said that maybe most people will already have that map since its included in the BY pak and is the most downloaded map at Blasters' euromap central. popular map, but its up to you :)

i was thinking about burning a CD of the maps ive downloaded and passing it on chain-mail style around gamers i know, but instead i'm goign to email PC Gamer/Format and ask them to stick the maps on a cover CD - i'll wait until the BW map pak is finalised and include that :)

O

old.PointDexter

Mornin' all

Wizernes, Tundra and Recipe are all fantastic maps imho but I can understand you wanting to limit the file size. How about making a couple of extra custom maps available as options on the bookables? That way people will still be able to play them if they want to but they won't be obliged to download them in order to play on the decicated custom server.

Cheers!

D.

Users who are viewing this thread