Curious... Vandalism and the economy

00dave

Artist formerly known as Ignus
a car that completely unnecessarily has a designed-in flaw, which you have to spend a load of money fixing, every year.

Until recently anthing French or from ford you mean?

And in a lot of cases thats not a joke.

I notice Damini is keeping out of her own thread.

Ormorof

FH is my second home
certain types of crime could be argued to be beneficial (seem to remember reading a statement somewhere that if the black market in Italy was completely closed down the entire economy would collapse for example) as theoretically any spending is good, but as the economy is not just about money spent but more specifically resources (people, money, goods, oil etc, money is just the way its expressed usually), so quite a lot ends up wasted if alot of resources go into making things so if someone then smashes it up all that resource has effectively been wasted (not to mention the ecological impact of millions of tons of junk ending up in a landfill somewhere), and since all economies resources are finite its in the best interest of society if no resources were wasted at all! (and since criminals of the kind discussed here, those dealing with vandalism etc, aren't usually the types to contribute much to society anyway its definitely a waste!)

xane

Fledgling Freddie
"creating jobs" and "good for the economy" are rarely the same thing, its a common ploy used by government wonks to describe some mindless dictatorial new rule that everyone has to apply to.

People are a resource too, if they're employed making locks then they aren't employed doing something either more useful, like in medicine or in education, or making items that are genuinely beneficial to the economy.

The economy best "works" when people mutually benefit from a transaction, i.e. the travel agent gets my money, I get a holiday. When one side is forced to spend with no direct benefit then it can hardly be considered beneficial.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom