CTF Kilgore-Eventhorizon-Deck16

• Thread starter old.[CIA]Tarantella
  • Start date
O

old.[CIA]Tarantella

Im not sure this is the place to post this but according to the website the ctf leagues may be using the following maps

ctf-kilgore, ctf-eventhorizon ,ctf-deck16

These maps are fine for friendly games but the first two have flaws in them which in my opinion would make them unsuitable for 'serious' matches.Also there are many better maps out there than deck-16 which is just the dm map mirrored.

J

Jace

Could you explain in more detail precisely what the flaws are in the maps?

O

old.[CIA]Tarantella

The map flaws are fairly obvious but if we are going to be stuck with them and have to play on them in the league then it wouldnt be sensible of me to give up a possible advantage for my team in a future game.

O

old.Kez

Of course, if you do keep the flaw to yourself they won't be removed, and you'd end up winning, but the other teams could complain, so, erm, tell? :p

J

Jace

[CIA]Tarantella -

If you know of serious flaws on the maps you should mail me at jace@nildram.co.uk. I am a UT League Head Admin and UT Community Liason for Barrysworld so can be trusted not to publicise the afore mentioned flaws however I need to know as if they are serious enough there is stil time to rethink the map choices.

If you chose to keep these flaws to yourself it is very shortsighted of you and very unsportsmanlike.

O

old.[CIA]Tarantella

Im new to Barrysworld so I didnt know who I was talking to and my E-mail server appears to be down at the moment but I'll be in touch shortly (that is if I havent spammed you already .)

O

old.Gandalf

OK heres my tuppence.

2 of the maps are unsuitable these been Killgore & Event Horizon. What will happen with them is all out defense and hardly any opportunity to cap making for boring games and the possibilities of drawing. You need maps with a few alternative attack routes these do not have them.

Deck 16 is actually a good map and I have nothing against it at all. Have you looked at other maps like CTF-Twinvalley which I believe is a far better map than the 1st two.

Just a few thoughs late at night, need sleep so I'm off.

Gandalf.

O

old.Kez

Yeh, I too am fond of Deck16, and having played it a fair bit I fail to see its major flaws, still if its mailed to Jace I'm sure something will be done ;)

O

old.[TSK]Luap

The flaw in event horizon is the no-go your in the wrong place areas are eratic. Especially if you venture on to the roof. There is more than 1 way in to the base though. (Tube, sides or over the top (if you don't toast yourself)).

Luap.

O

old.[CIA]Tarantella

Concerning ctf-Event horizon: With a bit of practice you can travel from one flag to the other in 5 carefully placed translocator moves. The top of the ship is supposedly out of bounds to jumping and piston jumping but not completely and translocating up there is easy to do. There is an outside possibility for a team to get a flag up there though.I think it is mapping flaws that allow you to do this not any intentional design.

The situation is worse for Kilgore for the perimeter cliffs are accessible in several spots allowing players to bypass the defenders and drop down into the rear of the enemy base. This is not a problem if both teams are aware of the situation but the possibility also exists that you can get up on the cliffs and drop down out of sight outside the main playing arena with the flag (something a team might do if it was winning narrowly with a few minutes to play).

The main fault in deck16 ]I[ is the bottle neck in the middle of the map.

O

old.Kez

What exactly is this "bottleneck" - it seems fine to me, there are two ways into each base (by stairs and flak, and by the ASMD) and two (ish) ways to the flag (sniper deck, climb ramps, use teleport) ?

O

old.[CIA]NeoBlade

Deck16 3 is a truely pathetic map, it looks good and was a good idea but the flags are too far out of the way and and the map is just too big (it should have never been done, it takes the piss out of such a class DM map).
There are MUCH better custom maps out there and I really dont know why this one was chosen for the league.

------------------
Unreal Tournament

<LI> CTF [CIA]NeoBlade[CL]
<LI> DM [CaK]NeoBlade
<LI> ICQ# 53230284

L

[LP]Acid

If these flaws your banging on about don't deter the gameplay then it shouldn't matter, use them to your advantage m8 :)

If the other teams in the league are much cop then they'll soon latch on so don't worry about it being unfair.

On assault there's many of what I think you'd call flaws and new ones are found all the time. A few people get pissed when they don't know what happened but once it gets round it becomes yet another route to defend which only increases gameplay :)

If it can be done by normal means within the confines of the 3d engine (i.e. no hacks), then it's legit. IMHO :)

On that note, good to see there ain't any hacks for UT that I know of but then if there ever were, Barrys would blitz them in seconds :)

O

old.Mig

BTW: what about to put deck on the public BW servers so we can practice them.......
another thing I don't undestand how come Face is a League Map and it doesn't apear on the public servers, and Cybrosis (ARGHHH) is there

PS:I tought Lava giant was big and awfull, than I saw deck.........

------------------
=[SK]=Mig

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom