CS - Non-Official maps server!

O

old.QuantumUK

Come on everyone, don't we all want a new Counter Strike server that runs custom maps!?! I mean don't you ever want to play CS and *not* want to be dictated to about what maps to play? :) Sure there are some nice maps there, but sometimes there is nothing like a change of scenery.

I apologise if this has been brought up before, but there are loads of good non-official maps and a pitiful few mainstream servers running them! I have to endure pings of 300+ just to get a change!

S

SAS

Beta6.5 is out soon (1-2 weeks) so there is no point in adding new maps. The BW cs servers are used by hundreds of people daily and if we add 1 new map not in the offical cs download then problems will arise.

Wait 1-2 weeks then you get to play all the new maps :)

------------------
Posted by S.A.S
www.barrysworld.com/guides

O

old.[Pixie]

i think a non official map server would be a good idea, where people got0o the website an d.l that maps currently running, and a voting poll to see what maps will be put up next week or sumthin, but i dont think BW should do it, it will only take their focus off the original servers.

------------------
There are no stooopid questions...

...Just stooopid answers

O

old.QuantumUK

Herrrmmm OK we shall see :) I was just saying that almost every server out there runs exactly the same maps in exactly the same order. It is getting soooooooooo old now. Maybe GamesInferno will do it, they are already running a non-official map, but its not very good and it's on all the servers. But hey, people still play it!

O

old.-Pakman-

I think that it would most likely be as empty as the TFC custom server :( And while I don't mind playing custom amps infact i like it it seems that most people can't be bothered with the downloads.

O

old.QuantumUK

I know what you mean, but CS is scenario based and I am sure there is room for some more maps. OK granted it will be frequently empty but look at maps like pa_fact and cs_shoothouse. There is no chance of them going official because they don't meet the criteria, but they are still quality maps and so long as you have that kinda stuff then there will be traffic.

Plus those two maps are designed for smaller games so it may work out well (and smaller games = lower server load).

[This message has been edited by QuantumUK (edited 07 May 2000).]

Y

~YuckFou~

Count me in,
Some of the current maps are crap. 747 can get really boring, Fang is also shite.
I think there are enough hard core CS players out there to make it worth your while. If no one plays remove it but please let us have some choice.
As a compromise why not have one of your existing CS servers have say 2 or 3 customs on it?

~YuckFou~

O

old.zog

Yeah, with beta6.5 soon, they've got new official maps coming, and they're supposedly tweaking some of those that aren't well-balanced at the moment. e.g. I've heard that there will be another entrance to the rear room of 747, where a lot of Ts tend to camp. Currently there's only one way in.

At the moment, I can't see much of a demand for a custom map server, but having more CS servers would certainly help. a) The current servers are pretty damn full most of the time these days, and b) more servers mean more maps to choose from.

S

SAS

Ok I've had a think. One custom map server with the maps listed for easy download. I like the idea. At the moment we have no spare servers but when we get some I'll see about a custom map cs server :)

------------------
Posted by S.A.S
http://guides.barrysworld.com

Y

~YuckFou~

Nice one!

Can we avoid the es_ maps? Or is it just me that thinks the gameplay is flawed? (T's prefer to kill than escape, me included!).
This should take some of the load of the existing servers too, took me an hour yesterday to get on to a BW/CS server :-(

~YuckFou~

O

old.QuantumUK

I don't know if anyone hangs about on the Mapping forum at counter-strike.net, but if you look at some of the maps on there you will be in no doubt that there are quailty maps that go beyond the official ones. There are also map packs being put togther and tested by Anarchy design.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom