Crash To Desktop

Afran

Part of the furniture
As of retail, I'm having a problem with crashes to the desktop, they're seemingly random but to be more specific they often happen after finishing a game at the Battle of Ekrund, I'd assume the same is true for the other queued scenarios aswell, and I've heard from people that they crash when releasing after a death and such things. I never had this problem in the OB, and I believe it's the same story for other people with the problem, I'm wondering if anyone here has had the problem and has managed to fix it, and also post if you are having the same issue :)

I don't think specs are the cause here but I'll post mine incase it could be of use; Spammy specs since it's just copy & pasted from when I ordered it. :p

Asus P5N-E SLi nForce 650 (Socket 775) PCI-Express DDR2 Motherboard
Intel Core 2 Duo E6550 "LGA775 Conroe" 2.33GHz
Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 250GB SATA-II 16MB Cache
BFG GeForce 8800 GT OC 512MB GDDR3 HDTV/Dual DVI
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio 7.1 Sound Card
Logitech Z-2300 Sound System
OCZ GameXStream 600w Silent SLI Ready ATX2 Power Supply
GeIL 2GB (2x1GB) PC2-6400C4 800MHz Ultra Low Latency DDR2 Dual Channel Kit

Also using Win XP SP2.

Javlar

Fledgling Freddie
I'm getting crashes as well, but they seem to be totally random, just out of the blue BAM desktop.

It wouldn't be that bad except that a crash equals 1-2 hours lost gamingtime due to the queues.

My specs are as follows:

MK Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3PP45
Intel Quad Q94502,66GHz,12MB,1333MHz,S775
DDR2 8GB PC6400 CorsairXMS2
Geforce 8800 GTS
X-Fi Xtreme Audio
Vista Ultimate SP1

Seffrid

Fledgling Freddie
I'm also having random instant crashes to desktop, literally instant. No error message, no Events Viewer entry, just BAM desktop. It's happening in Headstart, never had it in Open Beta.

It only happens in PvE, and seems to be when running into a quest/area hub.

P3.4, 2gb ram
ATI 3870 (512mb)
X-Fi Extreme
Windows XP
570w PSU

Battleboobs

Fledgling Freddie
Try changing Maximum pre-rendered frames from the default value "3" to "1" in the Nvidia contrtol panel, that solved my CTD problems atleast.

Cybwyn

Fledgling Freddie
I've had 3 CTDs all in pretty much the exact same areas of Altdorf, between Hans the Sausage Vendor and the grey tent opposite him. May be a coincidence, maybe not.

danisheraser

Fledgling Freddie
Been playing for 5 days without a single crash....UNTIL I get to Altdorf for the first time. I crash 2-3 times within one hour. Sounds like problems with the client to me and not peoples hardware.

Javlar

Fledgling Freddie
Disabling all in-game sounds fully solved my problems. As of yet, knock on wood ;)

Sure it's quite sad to lose out on the sound but it's a small price to pay to be able to play the game without constant interruptions.

Hopefully they will remedy it sooner or later, but seeing as how I've played WOW and DAOC without sounds (because it annoyed me, not because it didn't work) anyways I don't really care that much.

So yeah, try it out, it might work for you too :)

VivaLaDan

Fledgling Freddie
The crash to desktop issue is just down to bugs in the code. The client stability has definitely improved through beta but it's going to take time for Mythic to find and fix more of these bugs.

There's not really much that players can do to stop this other than wait. Unless of course it's a specific problem that your experiencing which you can fix yourself. More than likely you just from time to time hit a bad piece of code under a certain set of conditions and BAMN, the game crashes.

Just try not to get too stressed when it happens, although I do struggle sometimes with that myself. When your in a guild group at peak time and it closes on you, the last thing you need is a 1hr queue.

Horseman

Fledgling Freddie
i got the idea that people on vista 32 bit version crash way more
im running on 32bit and i crash all the time

can anyone give their remarks about that?

VivaLaDan

Fledgling Freddie
I can say that it's very possible players on a certain OS crash more often but I can't say for sure. It's the sort of thing you need statistics on. If Mythic secretly do error reporting on crashes then they will know the figures.

caswallawn

Fledgling Freddie
well on the vista versions comment I run Vista Ultimate X64 and dont have a single crash. but that doesnt realy rpoove anything as there are hundreds of reasons a game could be unstable.

if you have computer experience it may be worth checking you clock speeds are correct. also if you are getting it running into PQ's were there are loads of people/npc's turn down the graphics as its possibly a bottle neck.

Mithradir

Loyal Freddie
I always crash 1 time per day and it seems that it has something to do with the cpu usage the game needs sometimes. When i first login the cpu usage is on 20-30% and when i ctd the cpu usage has reached 90%. I am quite sure that this is a problem the client has and not our pcs. The same goes with the bad frame lag that lots of guys (including me) have.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom