Cracking copy protection

Chronictank

FH is my second home
Any legal peoples know what the letter of the law is on this, i have tried looking but there is not really any absolute answer which governs all software.
So to clarify, is it illegal to engineer a method of removing/bypassing copy protection.
By this i mean not distribute any software, simply find a way of removing the protection and then posting how on a website for example

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
Most likely you would be breaking a law. By publishing such information it could be said that you had committed or participated in an act which is more than merely preparatory to the commission of the offence or that you knowingly or negligently published or allowed to be published information which is, had, or will likely incite others to breach international or national intellectual property rights.

DONT DO IT

Jeremiah

Fledgling Freddie
Its illegal to reverse engineer or bypass any copyright protection system. Its a little loose on music protection encryption, hence the people getting round Apple's protection as to make the music able to play on other MP3 players, but on software and DVD movies, its highly illegal!

Gamah

Banned
Its illegal to reverse engineer or bypass any copyright protection system. Its a little loose on music protection encryption, hence the people getting round Apple's protection as to make the music able to play on other MP3 players, but on software and DVD movies, its highly illegal!

OLD

Ballard

Fledgling Freddie
depends what country you live in. Using cracks to avoid DVD/CD usage or backup software you own is not illegal in quite a few countries (and very difficult to prosecute in others). If you dont own the software then you can be sure you are in the wrong :)

confused

Can't get enough of FH
Telling you about any programs would be against the law. There are many programs that will allow you to back up dvd's/cd's by writing them to your hard drive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom