CPU temperature display

Uncle Sick

One of Freddy's beloved
The new case I recently bought has a CPU temp sensor with a neat display on the front panel - now my problem is: where exactly do I put the temperature sensor cable (long cable with a flat metallicy strip)?

Between cpu and cpu fan?
Near the cpu?

Your help is appreciated! :D

Dr_Weasel

One of Freddy's beloved
Ive not done it myself, but I believe sliding the diode between the cpu and heatsink is possible. This article also thinks so if you have an AMD. If you have an Intel, then you have Evil Inside and it deserves to cook.

Placing a sensor near your CPU is tricky. You can't put the sensor directly on the core because it will block the heatsink from contacting the entire core surface. As a result, processors generally don't make great candidates for external sensors. However, AMD Athlon XP processors have a raised core and four small pads that create a gap between the heatsink and the body of the processor. The AMD representative told us that a user should be able to slide a flat sensor into the gap without trouble. If you place a sensor in this gap, keep in mind that although the sensor itself is flat, its cable is not. If you wedge the cable under the heatsink, you may break the heatsink's contact with the processor's core.

.Wilier.

One of Freddy's beloved
Personally, Id be very cautious of fitting anything between the CPU and the heatsink. Maybe go for directly above the heatsink, below the fan, at least you wouyld get a comparative reading if not the actually CPU temp.

If you choose to do it anyway, make sure you have some thermal paste on all mating surfaces.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Connect it to a rectal thermometer!

Danya

Fledgling Freddie
Why do you want one there? Any recent CPU (athlon XP/P4 or newer) has a built in sensor embedded in the chip, it's easier just to download a program to read that if you're interested in CPU temps.

Uncle Sick

One of Freddy's beloved
Yes, I am using Asusprob to measure mobo and cpu temp. I just have a neat lcd screen on the case I wanted to use. Call me a geek. :p

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
Code:
               geek
Uncle Sick = ((-----) - life )
               nerd

.Wilier.

One of Freddy's beloved
Uncle Sick said:
Somebody kiss my tears away please. :(

By that, your either upset that people called you geek, or its all gone tits-up and youve melted your CPU?

:fluffle:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom