CPU Guru

Bahumat

FH is my second home
Im thinking of upgrading CPU for one of them Dual Core bastards!

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/CPUs.html

1) whats best for games, AMD or Pentium?
2) i want to spend no more than £100 on the CPU, which is the best one you can see...and why do you think this?
3) are Dual Core's reliant on Windows XP 64 bit?

Thanks in advance :)

Boni

Fledgling Freddie
Bahumat said:
Im thinking of upgrading CPU for one of them Dual Core bastards!

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/CPUs.html

1) whats best for games, AMD or Pentium?
2) i want to spend no more than £100 on the CPU, which is the best one you can see...and why do you think this?
3) are Dual Core's reliant on Windows XP 64 bit?

Thanks in advance :)

1). On the games side theres little to show, at the end of the day they both provide CPU power, so its just a matter of comparing their specs. In general Pentiums are faster, though AMD have a habbit of being cheaper (though I hear they are losing this edge atm).

2). Hmm... I would spend more if you possibly could, even if its just 20 quid more. The more you invest in your CPU the better. From those I would go a few quid over your budget and get the bottom Core2 Duo.

3). Not at all.

Naffets

Can't get enough of FH
Intel are far superior to AMD at the mo, as much as I hate to say it.

If you're going to get a new cpu get an intel cpu if you are using it for games, AMD lost their performance crown a few months back.

For £100 you won't get much really, you could get a dual core 4400 (AMD) if you are on a budget though for around that price.

It'll still be good for games but obviously not as good as an intel cpu

I agree with point 2 of Boni aswell :)

Bahumat

FH is my second home
Boni said:
2). Hmm... I would spend more if you possibly could, even if its just 20 quid more. The more you invest in your CPU the better. From those I would go a few quid over your budget and get the bottom Core2 Duo.

ok i can play with the budget but i didnt want to see "bahu, get the new r0x0r cpu only £400.00". lets say £150 max?

Overclockers.co.uk said:
Intel Pentium 4 915 Dual Core "LGA775 Presler" 2.8GHz (800FSB) - Retail (CP-133-IN)
The Power of Dual-Core Delivers Exceptional Benefits to Your Platform. Intel dual-core processors have two complete execution cores in one processor package running at the same frequency. Both cores share the same packaging and the same interface with the chipset memory. However, they operate as distinct execution cores. Dual-core processing is one way of delivering performance while balancing power requirements.

- True Dual Core
- Enhanced Intel SpeedStep® Technology.
- Level 1 Cache (Two 16KB Data Caches and Two 12KB Micro-op Execution Trace Caches)
- 4MB L2 Cache (2MB per core)
- Intel® Extended Memory 64 Technology (Intel® EM64T)2
- Execute Disable Bit3
- Streaming SIMD Extensions 3 (SSE3)
- 65nm Process Technology
- 800MHz front side bus speed
- Only compatible with Intel based 945/955/975X series mainboards

Price: £85.99 (£101.04 Including VAT at 17.5%)

Next one

Intel Core 2 DUO E6300 "LGA775 Allendale" 1.86GHz (1066FSB) - Retail (CP-126-IN)
Intel’s Conroe design makes their older Pentium chips look very, very ordinary. As far as gaming performance goes, Intel is looking very strong and as we have predicated and Intel told many people at the Computex show throughout the week, Intel is looking like they will be the gamer CPU of choice in the remainder 2006 and all of 2007. If you crave the absolute quickest CPU for your PC their is nothing faster than Intel latest Conroe processors, be prepared as you will be amazed. The E6xxx series offer great value for money and are a favourite choice amongst overclockers with reports of overclocks well over 3.2GHz already achieved with just basic air cooling. Intel is set to take back the performance crown for 2006 and 2007 again!

- Dual Core Technology
- 1.86GHz clock speed
- 2MB L2 Cache
- Intel Speedstep Technology
- EM64T 64-Bit Technology
- Execute Disable Bit
- Cooler running technology, less heat and less noise!
- Supplied with Intel referance heatsink & fan
- Only compatible with new Intel 965 and 975X socket 775 Motherboards (Older 975 boards are not compatible)

Price: £114.99 (£135.11 Including VAT at 17.5%)

Ok, so how comes the first one looks better but it cheaper? im confused on this lol

Darzil

Fledgling Freddie
Basically the way to look at it is simple :

Core 2 Duo > AMD > Pentium

The architecture on the Core 2 Duo is far superior.

Darzil

Boni

Fledgling Freddie
I think essentially the first one is 2x1.4Ghz, and the 2nd 2x1.86Ghz. Bus speed is very important too, that basically governs how fast stuff can get to and from the CPU and is traditionally the bottleneck in many systems, so 800 vs 1066 there. Lots of room for overclocking with CoreDuo as well.

GimmlyTheDorf

Banned
As people said the Conroe is the best to buy atm, but I am waiting for Amd quad core 60nm and K8L next year. What mobo do you have?

evzy

Can't get enough of FH
Thats the next thing - make sure its either compatible with the mobo you have or factor in buying a new mobo and any other bits that you cant cannabalize as well...

Skg

Fledgling Freddie
Get a Intel Core 2 Duo.. They are quite cheap and it kicks AMDs butt atm.

Overdriven

Dumpster Fire of The South
*Personally waits for AMD to go k8l/am3 before doing a upgrade* - Wait till January or so before you upgrade, bound to get even cheaper..

Bahumat

FH is my second home
yeah i'll wait till after christmas, i plan to get a new mobo too!

thanks for all your help guys

Chronictank

FH is my second home
Get a Intel core 2 duo,
no question about it

It is far better than anything out there atm

GimmlyTheDorf

Banned
Bahumat said:
yeah i'll wait till after christmas, i plan to get a new mobo too!

thanks for all your help guys
Then I would go AM2 and Quad core AMD 60nm and you can have K8L on an AM2 board too. The year for AMD again is 2007/2008, Intel are only having there Conroe roxxor phase for half a year.

Chronictank

FH is my second home
GimmlyTheDorf said:
Then I would go AM2 and Quad core AMD 60nm and you can have K8L on an AM2 board too. The year for AMD again is 2007/2008, Intel are only having there Conroe roxxor phase for half a year.
we duno that yet :)
but im hopeful ^^

noaim

Fledgling Freddie
Depends totally on what mobo you have now if you are on a budget. An X2 4600+ is an excellent choice if you already have a socket 939 mobo and want to go dual core, but are on a tight budget. Conroe is better but not so much better that it would justify 3x the price (exchanging ram, mobo, cpu) if you already sit on a 939-based computer and are on a budget.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom